Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Orc

Default Linux Mint GUI Errors

I have searched every thread, I have reinstalled Everquest SEVEN TIMES! I have read the P99 Linux Setup Guide from top to end, over and over and over again. Apparently there is some kind of ui log that is supposed to log all UI related issues... I cannot find it and don't even know where to begin, I've done basic searches and nothing shows up.

It does not matter what I do, I cannot fix these GUI Errors. I have been troubleshooting this for the last two days.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. As I am ready to just load Windows XP on a VM so I can play P99 when Green comes out... because nothing is fixing these gui errors.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Orc

I setup a virtual box with windows 7, as xp was being cooperative. I installed EQ there, and am going to zip, upload and download the install into my wine directory. I'll let you know how it goes, as this is pretty much the last thing I can think of.

I tried using playonlinux before, but I got a whole new kind of error. This is really frustrating.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:28 AM
Orc

No luck, same GUI Errors. This is extremely frustrating.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

See if file permissions on your P99 files are OK?

If desperate, you can also attempt something like tracing the wine process and see if any fopen system calls fail. The 'strace' utility should be available on Mint and helps doing just that.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:45 AM
Orc

Permissions are fine, I checked every single folder.

I am rather new to linux, I do not know how to use strace properly.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Orc

I am still trying to get this to work. I've tried running it on a virtual machine with Windows 7. It ran like crap. I've tried a great deal of settings in wine. I've installed it using PlayOnLinux about three times.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Change your graphics card drivers. Use the Start Menu => Driver Manager to switch to other versions: I had to go back a version or two (on my Nvidia drivers) to make things work on my computer.

Runs great now though ... well as great as the client runs on any OS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Change your graphics card drivers. Use the Start Menu => Driver Manager to switch to other versions: I had to go back a version or two (on my Nvidia drivers) to make things work on my computer.

Runs great now though ... well as great as the client runs on any OS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you I tried that once, but there are more options. I'll try all of them and let you know how it goes.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Orc

Dealing with a NO_PUBLIC key error. That could potentially be apart of my issue, as I may not be getting the proper drivers, as I get that error when I open up my driver manager. Once I fix the error, I will try all driver options.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

Try different versions of Wine ?

I've ran P99 successfully on various flavours of Debian (I understand that Mint is based on it), since 2014. Maybe try Debian? It's the best distro, too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]