Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Kobold

Does it really matter? If you don't care about the pictures, then keep smoking and nothing has really changed. If the picture(s) move you to quite smoking . . .good, you've quit smoking, and you're probably happy about the pictures.

Not that I agree with the pictures . . .but seriously, why the fuck does it matter? It's not like bicycle safety laws that require you to do something that should be optional but does provide some benefit (helmet, for example.) I doubt the shit long-term smokers hack up each morning makes them feel good about smoking, either.

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

What's stupid is the fact that it required government resources to come up with this law.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's stupid is the fact that it required government resources to come up with this law.
That is what bothers me as well. Yeah, the pictures are likely not going to have any impact on an individual's decision to smoke/not smoke, so it's easy to say "who cares". What's troubling is that tax payer dollars are being used on a likely ineffective program.

I am in no way claiming to know where and how the budget is allocated, but I can't imagine that the entire cost of this proposal was captured via the "sin tax" on tobacco products. There were probably legislators investing 100s of man hours into this decision on the public dime. Money that didn't need to be spent, and will likely have little to no benefit.

It also sets a precident for more campaigns like this. Bicycles can be dangerous, should there be a picture of a kid with his head cracked open on every bike? Or how about cars, do we need pictures of bodies sticking through windshields to inform the public of things that could happen? Pictures of 500lb people on the front of a happy meal?

Sure, cigarettes contain addictive substances and affect the body in different ways than a car or cheeseburger, but they all have the potential to cause harm. I do not believe that the government should be spending money on campaigns of this nature. I am all for information for the sake of public safety, but showing extreme examples to make a case is an unnecessary waste of funds.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Fire Giant

I will never eat another Double Down, thanks Japan.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

should be on all fried chicken containers
thats scary
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Large Rat

i think health is a foreign subject to most average people. just because i use keywords like organs or something that sounds familiar to someone it does not mean they really know what i am talking about.

the pictures may not work for the ignorant which may be the majority of the smokers but if a kid finds a pack laying around and is honestly unsure about what they are evaluating and see the picture it may help them. which is what i think the intended effect is. majority of adults are going to kill themselves with bad choices one way or another but its the youth who have the most to gain or lose.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Decaying Skeleton

really good article... Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Sarnak

It's law in australia to have an graphic image of one of the many effects of smoking to take up half the box. there are also ads where people go to a store or vending machine asking for gangrene etc.

BUT SMOKING IS STILL COOL KIDS!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Fire Giant

same law has been in Canada for years, new law says that stores can no longer display cigs in the open, iirc England will follow this in the near year.

IMO this makes sense in a country like Canada as smoking costs taxpayers billions in healthcare $$. You still have the freedom to smoke if you want but the gov is creating disincentives to try and limit costs paid by taxpayers. With Obamacare i would imagine you will see this in the USA soon.

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathgirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's law in australia to have an graphic image of one of the many effects of smoking to take up half the box. there are also ads where people go to a store or vending machine asking for gangrene etc.

BUT SMOKING IS STILL COOL KIDS!

Youre fucking mouth will never look like that if you smoke a pack a day and brush your teeth.
Closed Thread