Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 PM
Banned

Before I subside back into another apathetic episode, I will expand a bit on what I have observed. When Green was announced, the forums were feverish with excitement and the certainty that everything would be just as it was in 1999 because that was what the forums were certain the staff strove for. Instead, mob spawns were varied. Quest xp was custom nerfed. A new /list system that no one on forums would have imagined was even a possible option because of how blatantly it violated the zeitgeist's conception of P99 was announced without any input whatever.
Now, did the forums pause? Did they ask themselves, wait, why are these custom changes occurring without any input from the forum community? No. Instead, they adopted cognitive dissonance and began analyzing these systems and their motivations from the exact argumentative positions that should have negated those systems from the outset.
Ergo, the forums are pointless. They serve no function as discussion except whatever relief you or I might have from typing to each other. P99 as a project is not influenced by these forums. It is, however, influenced by something and that something dictated these custom systems and a closed-door policy with regards to their creation.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:06 PM
Kobold

Why can’t we just make some or all of these premium items lore/no drop? Some of the prices I’ve seen are just outrageous.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:42 AM
Planar Protector

There's little probability Rogean will redo code that already works perfectly. I hope he doesn't. Don't fix what's not broke.

So suggesting things that have 0% probability of being implemented is a waste of time. Things like "have to tag a PH in the last hour", fall into this category. This ain't happening because Rogean will read it, his neural nets will immediately subconciously process the inputt into the mountain of work and potential bugs/exploits that doing something like that involves, and his brain will immediately issue a "lol, no" verdict. The he will move on to something else.

It has to be someting simple, that doesn't change the existing system fundamentally but improves it.
Like random to top 6 intead of #1. Probably under 5 lines of code to change/add and little room for bugs.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

The amount of staff time dedicated to curating /list issues and solving problems for the tiny portion of the population that actually engaged with that list seemed to show clearly that for a vocal portion of the player base no amount of changes would bring about a desired solution that was acceptable to all or even most of those who continuously raised such issues and that continuing to pay even the smallest amount of attention to the terrible whining associated with rare legacy loot distribution schemes would ultimately drain valuable resources which could be more efficiently allocated towards improving other various functionality for a more robust net effect on the ROI and which would have an overall positive effect on both the community and the staff efficiency and would be a better allocation of scarce resources rightly associated with a volunteer staffing arrangement that is the core of this project's support structure and development program.

/points at whiteboard
/looks around
Closed Thread