Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Default /list feature first phase completed - reviews and suggestions for the future

So we just went through the first incarnation of the /list feature.
Post your thoughts and eventual suggestions for improvement.

I'll start.

The good: overall, a great success. It worked exactly as announced, I haven't ran into any glitches. It allowed people who aren't as dedicated to EQ as some others to still compete to an extent which is a Good Thing. Meanwhile, it allowed the most commited ones to still get the lion's share of the loot, as it should be.

Kudos for the implementation, to whoever did it (I assume Rogean).

The bad: how it draws people to wish others (with a better # position than them) failed and the inevitable lawyering that ensues. The mechanics of /list create too many situations where instead of camaraderie, it results in tension and hard feelings. It's hard to imagine the number of /petition that have been generated by the manastone camp alone.

A solution to this problem has been proposed - randomly award the coveted item to one of the first 6 players on the list - drawing the mechanics of a particular camp closer to what it would be without /list - an exp group camping it and /rolling on the loot.

I would like to know what the GMs and the rest of people who used /list think of it.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Sarnak

find a way to prevent account sharing or the whole thing is BS
Old 05-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Skeleton

it makes account sharing a requirement for the most coveted items and it encourages those who can't or don't want to account share to stay up for unhealthy periods of time. if it was up to me, a random person on the list would be selected on each drop without regard to their position.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

But account sharing is fine. It involves trusting your friends and receive trust from them, which is good.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Sarnak

But you're not camping the item yourself, which is the spirit of the system.

If your IP changes, you should be moved to the bottom of the list.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Aviak

Agree with Indecisive
Old 05-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But you're not camping the item yourself, which is the spirit of the system.

If your IP changes, you should be moved to the bottom of the list.
What's wrong with having someone helping you camp an item? It has been in EQ since day 1.

Also, if you declare it wrong, you cannot really police that. Someone's router can reboot and the IP changes. Or they are using mobile internet and IP changes often. Not to mention, sneaky people will find a way around it anyway (screen sharing etc, and you cannot really police that).
Old 05-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

Yeah, there would be problems with it, just like every solution. Nothing would be perfect. But it would go a long way towards making it more fair for people who are willing to put in the work, without making it so only guilds or people with a friends list to the floor can win the item. That was the whole point of the /list system in the first place.

Back of the line on IP change, and random 1 - 6 on list to mimic full group.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

What good is there in a solution that is easy to defeat if you're malicious but will hinder honest people at the same time? Sounds like a cure worse than the disease itself.

I wouldn't mind it myself personally, but I doubt the devs would consider that.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Just my two cents take it with a grain of salt:

The /list system was interesting to say the least but the amount of people who join a /list and FD till they hit #1, or even just to loot their item, was insane.

I think the lockout on the item drops should be permanent per toon. Get the item 1ce and move on or level another toon to farm.

1-This allows equal opportunity to the coveted loot (which I think is the whole purpose of the /list system)

2- This prevents people from hoarding the items and messing up the economy before it is even started (too late to an extent)

3-Makes the account sharing a mute point because once each toon has the item they will be unable to farm the camp again on that toon. (this promotes more alt leveling and could help noobs find groups in soon to be empty zones)

4- Anyone wanting to collect the "Lion's Share" as it was put can level multiple toons and do so while the casual gamers don't have to lose a camp to the same toon multiple times.
Closed Thread