Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Flower [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
throw it in the garbage
lolollol

this guy. Do like bill the butcher and just seer each side of it then eat it raw. You savage. I dont know much about cooking.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Kobold

Propane grill with a big ole tater.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Season with salt and pepper in advance and let it get to room temperature. Season that bitch a lot, probably more than you think you should if you don't cook steak that often or season your steaks that often.

Get the cast iron nice and hot. Depending on thickness, cook to your desired doneness (medium rare obviously).

Once both sides are seared, drop a knob of butter in, crush 2 cloves of garlic and chuck those in, drop a bit of thyme and rosemary in, take a spoon and baste each side until its ready to come off the pan. Use a meat thermometer in the center to check the doneness, its easier than trying to feel it and feeling it can lie to you. The temp never lies.

Let the steak rest for ~5 minutes, place the garlic/rosemary/thyme on top while it rests.

I've since stopped using cast iron, so it's been awhile, the last ribeye I cooked was in thick stainless steel which is similar-ish. I cooked each side about 4-5 minutes, then began basting for one minute on each side, then let rest, and that came out a pretty perfect medium to medium rare.

For sides, I like taking small potatoes that come in those bags, dice into quarters, put in a bowl, mix some olive oil in, add salt, pepper, maybe something fun like cayenne pepper, mix it all up, bake on parchment paper in the oven at 400 for 20-22 minutes.

Then, while the steak is resting, cut some broccoli florets in half, cook them in the same pan you used to cook the steak but drop the heat down to low/low-medium. You don't want to burn them, you just want to get color on them until they're bright green and get a little bit softer. Mix them up and around to get all that shit in the pan on them. Don't parboil them or anything, just pan fry them, fuck parboiling them it makes them taste like water and they're soft as fuck, just pan fry them to retain their flavor and crunch until bright, vibrant green.
Good man.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Here is a little trick for this one, poke holes in it, fill them with butter. Spread meat tenderizer on the top.

Roast it at 450 until it reaches an inside temp of 120-140 depending on your taste.

The meat tenderizer will dry up the meat, but the butter in there will counteract that and you get a real nice dinner.

Its a my secret family recipe and you guys are cool so here it is!
Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Here's my skillet method
Heat oven to 500f, go ahead and throw the skillet in there to give it a head start heating up.
Make sure your beef is room temp, I usually set it out on the counter at least an hour before cooking.
Take the skillet and put it on high heat, you want that pan literally ripping hot.
Sear beef about 2 mins each side, don't move it around, don't press down.
After you've put a good sear on, then finish it in the oven to your desired temp.
(this is going to smoke up your house quite a bit, might want to take the batteries out of your smoke alarm, and NEVER forget that pan is HOT)
ohh, and prior to cooking I put just a tiny dab on canola oil on my beef, just to lube it up, black pepper and coarse kosher salt
Last edited by GinnasP99; 01-12-2021 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's my skillet method
Heat oven to 500f, go ahead and throw the skillet in there to give it a head start heating up.
Make sure your beef is room temp, I usually set it out on the counter at least an hour before cooking.
Take the skillet and put it on high heat, you want that pan literally ripping hot.
After you've put a good sear on, then finish it in the oven to your desired temp.
(this is going to smoke up your house quite a bit, might want to take the batteries out of your smoke alarm, and NEVER forget that pan is HOT)
Yea, this is why I like doing stuff like this in the grill. With all burners on and the hood down, the internal temp of the grill gets to be pretty damn hot.

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Flower [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mass produced red meat is horrible for you
No, it isn't
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnasP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's my skillet method
ohh, and prior to cooking I put just a tiny dab on canola oil on my beef, just to lube it up, black pepper and coarse kosher salt
This is also definitely a solid option. Have you ever tried doing this in the opposite order? I vaguely follow a dude named Kenji on youtube who popularized the "reverse sear", where you first cook the steak in the oven to your desired doneness and then finish in the pan to sear the sides of it.

He prefers that method because you don't get that well-done surface, it cooks evenly through top to bottom.

Maybe I'll grab a steak and try it this weekend...
Old 01-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like my broc burnt a bit. Same with meats. I have a taste for burnt carbon with some foods.
Remember, it's never burnt, it's just caramelized.

Really though that's totally normal. So long as the food isn't literally burnt to a crisp, the char adds more complexity, texture, and depth to the flavor.
Last edited by Kich867; 01-12-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Kich I've seen that method done with sous vide. Supposedly comes out very consistent throughout the entire steak.