Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHydras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, this is what I was thinking. You pay good money for a ribeye because it is up there as one of the best steaks. You don't need to mess with it too much.
Solid seasoning of salt and pepper is a minimum, but the difference between a really well made steak and a steak with the bare minimum is a significant difference in experience.

If you properly make a ribeye that shit stops you in your tracks with how fucking good it is.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:33 AM
Banned

Nothing wrong with a cast iron ribeye finished in the oven. You can cook many cuts like this with grand success. Bone in chops cooked like that are a treat.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

I like to gather the family in the living room where I then strip naked and allow them watch me consume my steak raw.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 01-13-2021, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have the right idea.

It's a ribeye. Stick it on a grill and cook it, it'll turn out great. All these people posting about globbing butter onto it lol
A sliver of butter is pretty much just icing on the cake , that's about as minimal a marinade as you can get, and have never felt like it negatively impacted the steak, especially if your adding it after cooking to prevent the burnt butter smell.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A sliver of butter is pretty much just icing on the cake , that's about as minimal a marinade as you can get, and have never felt like it negatively impacted the steak, especially if your adding it after cooking to prevent the burnt butter smell.
Just a matter of personal taste I guess. I've just never personally liked butter on steak.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Kobold

Few comments about getting steak to room temp... there's some mixed urban legends in there.

Leaving a steak out for 30 min to an hour will not raise it to room temp, it will take much longer than that for a steak cut of a normal thickness (1 inch or more). However, leaving the steak out dries it out more than going fridge to pan. So it's possible for there to be a noticeable difference in steaks left out to "room temp", but it's because there is less moisture, not because you started cooking it at 72F instead of 40F. This assumes your steak is exposed to air and not still sitting in plastic on the counter.

Less moisture = more even cook and more maillard reaction on the outside. Starting temp is a red herring.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Few comments about getting steak to room temp... there's some mixed urban legends in there.

Leaving a steak out for 30 min to an hour will not raise it to room temp, it will take much longer than that for a steak cut of a normal thickness (1 inch or more). However, leaving the steak out dries it out more than going fridge to pan. So it's possible for there to be a noticeable difference in steaks left out to "room temp", but it's because there is less moisture, not because you started cooking it at 72F instead of 40F. This assumes your steak is exposed to air and not still sitting in plastic on the counter.

Less moisture = more even cook and more maillard reaction on the outside. Starting temp is a red herring.
I can agree with that. A better outcome for steak is when you sear with less moisture in it.

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So you just leave it open to the air in the fridge. I am guilty of leaving steaks out for 30 minutes before cooking. My steaks area great so if I can be improving this by cutting that step out I'd like to hear more.

My question though revolves around the way that steak "warms" to room temp. It will warm to room temp the way it cooks in say an oven, outside warms first and core last. So isn't the steak going to be more warm than if it comes from fridge to pan?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 PM
Banned

master made a HELL of a ribeye last night. rly good.
Closed Thread