Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

When you join a group simply ask the group leader what role they would like you to play. If you are still uncertain simply ask the group for tips and they will help you refine your style.

As a shaman there are lots of ways to play, so make sure you stay adaptable.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko37qtl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For me, there's no better way to get a feel for a game than playing different characters. If you want to start small, take your one healer, try an Int caster, a tank, and a melee of some kind. Personally, I don't think it's complete until you try one of everything and get them into the 20s at least (where class abilities and differences really start to become apparent) but a little cross training will likely teach you a lot. Level in different spots and see what kinds of things you really enjoy. Failing that, it's research online and talking to people. Don't level too long in one place or with the same kinds of situations. Mixing it up is more fun and better to understand the ins and outs of the game.
Just as a warning: this is a really good way to blow a couple years and still be level 40 with no idea of what's going on.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Banned

I just jumped in with no knowledge, then when any questions arose, there is such a culmination of knowledge on the wiki and forums for pretty much any question
Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This game is so inaccessible that you really cannot progress without spending hours reading online about zones and the class you're playing. You definitely won't be able to solo anything without game knowledge and you'll just be a burden to every group you join.
this dude is smoking some great stuff and I wish they would send me some

you're best off playing the game from the ground up with a lvl 1 character and just experimenting with everything you're able to purchase spell wise.

it's not a particularly difficult game as nearly anyone else will tell you. there's a bunch of things to learn along the way but you'll get by just fine with the obvious stuff. in the meantime explore and experiment! and don't be afraid to ask for tips from other people who are playing your class.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

What Lunababy said isn't completely baseless, but is fairly exaggerated.

There are a lot of things that aren't very well documented or signposted in the game itself, and the mistakes that a player can make can be costly.

The complete and utter lack of in-game spell descriptions means it is highly advisable to read a class guide at the very least, especially given that some spells aren't totally intuitive in the way they work. You can muddle by with just experimentation, but at some point it makes sense to get a clearer picture of the mechanics.

Quests are another are another thing that almost require wiki guidance. Though it is possible to complete many quests without a guide, it unfortunately is not very satisfying materially, since most quests have poor rewards relative to time/cost/effort/risk involved even if you complete them in the most efficient possible way (which you probably aren't if you aren't following a guide). Basically, quests are a bit of a trap for newbies. Without a guide you need to come at them with a strictly "it's the journey, not the destination" mentality.

As far as far as finding level-appropriate things to kill, that shouldn't ever be a real problem. Some zones/camps are better than others, but you can make reasonable progress without ever touching the most popular camps (though you will probably find the popular camps pretty quickly just by virtue of the fact that they are popular).

When it comes to grouping, the game is pretty straight forward. If you know the basics of how your own class works, pay attention and think, any essential gaps in your knowledge should be filled in pretty quickly. That's not to say you'll never make mistakes that will cost you or your party, but on the whole you should still be more of an asset than a liability.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave35 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just as a warning: this is a really good way to blow a couple years and still be level 40 with no idea of what's going on.
Hah! I guess it is at that. It's reflective of the kind of game I want to play. I like groups (particularly dungeon groups) and have far less interest in raiding.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko37qtl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hah! I guess it is at that. It's reflective of the kind of game I want to play. I like groups (particularly dungeon groups) and have far less interest in raiding.
My kind of guy. Raiding is the most boring part of eq by far. It's all about the journey.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thufir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My kind of guy. Raiding is the most boring part of eq by far. It's all about the journey.
I hated raiding on WoW

EQ was my first mmo, and when I started to play on live again a few years ago, I
noticed the journey was pretty much gone. Even WoW had somewhat of a journey at first, nothing like early EQ, but a lil sumthin anyway. I don't like how modern games
cater to the noob, it's all about $. Anyway, P99 has provided a refuge for og mmo gamers and I am truly grateful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 AM
Sarnak

I agree, raiding is not a bit fun Ive found. Scheduling your life to be online for a game only to spend usually hours with 20-30 others where some will get xp and gear and other gets nothing. Being told exactly what to do and when to do it as if there is no other way to do it. grouping 1-60 at every opportunity is where it's at. I love PUGs. Yes, you can get a stinker once in a while but its so much fun trying to take a imperfect combination of classes and making a go of it.

to the OP: read read read. For me its always been the funnest part of the game. So many great resources out there to dive into. Even these heavily opinionated forums ( me included) are a good source. Games like WoW and other "modern day" lol MMO's dont require that learning and research. One of the many reasons they are just easy mode.

Have fun learning and dont be afraid to be wrong.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Aviak

Don't worry too much about it. While it is very true that EQ is challenging, and lessons are going to be hard learned... Guides, and the P99 wiki has enough general knowledge that is easily accessible that you'll be able to fake your way threw most of it.

As for when you get punished, sigh, breath, and forge forward. Part of the experience is the shared misery, and no matter what kind of dumb blunders or terrible situations you find yourself in, trust that we've all been there before.
Closed Thread