Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Kobold

1) The classic EQ community in 1999 were a bunch of excited, fun loving, respectable, early adopter type, interesting people.

The Project99 community is not.

2) Ask any Classic EQ player the big things they remember and they will universally reply with tales of cool GM events and the unique items that were won.

Project99 GMs do not give out unique items or host GM events.

3) Classic EQ endgame was bad

Project99 endgame is horrendous. Certain people should be on trial at the Hague.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

Hey brother

So its a free game, id definitely say its worth a look. At worst you have a few hours of enjoyment and know it wasn't for you. Best case scenario you find your new favorite but more than likely prolly find something in the middle. Though I'd recommended as has been stated above and utilize the wiki, coming in fresh the game does not hold your hand, and even back then middle school me was online for hours trying to answer questions the game posed to me through discovery.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s a grindy game. Without nostalgia, you’ll likely burn out and quit before level 30.
It's the kind of game that you are not trying to beat in a weekend. It's something you keep loaded on your PC and play when you want. Yes, you can kick back and watch something on another monitor or television. Depends on where you are, of course, and what you are doing. It's not polite to be "netflixing" while busy in a dungeon. Exceptions are there for when a group has things on lock-down. Group wipes cost time to recover, sometimes discouraging others from playing. So be kind and think before being a total noob.

-This was only for OP's benefit, if he truly is new. ...You are not from Grobb, are you? OP

Note: There was a sense of urgency back in the day, mixed with things being new and paying per month. People were motivated to get out. Things are far more relaxed and permanent on P99.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-29-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Old 10-30-2020, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's the kind of game that you are not trying to beat in a weekend. It's something you keep loaded on your PC and play when you want. Yes, you can kick back and watch something on another monitor or television. Depends on where you are, of course, and what you are doing. It's not polite to be "netflixing" while busy in a dungeon. Exceptions are there for when a group has things on lock-down. Group wipes cost time to recover, sometimes discouraging others from playing. So be kind and think before being a total noob.

-This was only for OP's benefit, if he truly is new. ...You are not from Grobb, are you? OP

Note: There was a sense of urgency back in the day, mixed with things being new and paying per month. People were motivated to get out. Things are far more relaxed and permanent on P99.
I agree. It took me years to get my Necro to 55. I really enjoyed my time leveling him and never watched to clock or wished things would go by quicker. But the server was different back in 2014 to 2017. There were a lot more people playing in the mid levels, and there wasn’t nearly the amount of nerds at the top. Green really put a nail in my EQ coffin. I don’t have it in me to start all over again, and blues mid level community had dwindled below what I find acceptable.

With all that said, without nostalgia, I would have quit before I hit level 10.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 AM
Kobold

Great game. Worth putting in a few hours and see what you think. You will get hooked like the rest of us
Old 10-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey Everyone!
I appreciate all the opinions and good info. I started playing a halfling rogue on Green and enjoying it so far. It’s taking a while getting used to the UI and how things work. For example, still not sure how to accept a quest. I tried and nothing happened. I’m not in a hurry, just taking my time, but if anyone knows how to accept a quest, let me know.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:22 PM
Sarnak

There's no real accepting a quest. It's usually more hints what the NPC might need. So you just hail the NPC and it will respond with a story including a bracketed [trigger] word. Most of the time it works if you form a sentence like 'what trigger?'. And they'll respond to you about the quest. Sometimes they also give you a container where you have to combine stuff.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no real accepting a quest. It's usually more hints what the NPC might need. So you just hail the NPC and it will respond with a story including a bracketed [trigger] word. Most of the time it works if you form a sentence like 'what trigger?'. And they'll respond to you about the quest. Sometimes they also give you a container where you have to combine stuff.
Thanks for the tip! I know in live EQ, you click on the word in the brackets to get the NPC to respond, so I was trying mouse clicks, then the NPC attacked me and one shot me into a shallow grave.😮 I wasn’t expecting that..... I’ve never seen that in any MMO I’ve ever played. Anyway, I’ll try some phrases and see if that will trigger a response.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=Haldiri;3201868], so I was trying mouse clicks, then the NPC attacked me and one shot me into a shallow grave.😮 I wasn’t expecting that.....

I really burst out laughing at that. Still chuckling. Sorry.
oops, did it again, I'm not really sorry now, I'm grateful for the happy laughter.

Oh, that's rich. I remember being disappointed when my friend told me that you couldn't attack the NPCs in WoW. What a wimpy game I thought. I was right.

Thanks again for the good laugh.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the tip! I know in live EQ, you click on the word in the brackets to get the NPC to respond, so I was trying mouse clicks, then the NPC attacked me and one shot me into a shallow grave.��
Yes, this happened to me as well. First month of playing I had (can't prove it, there is no statistic data), but I'm pretty sure I had the most deaths on the server. And I also found some really creative ways of dying. Brutal game for clumsy players like myself.

Anyway, about quests, it is a huge help to use wiki, here is one quest example for some Druid item:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Testament_of_Vanear_Quest

You can copy/paste text into the game. Copy text normal way, then paste it with: Ctrl+Shift+P

You chose toon that needs lots of grouping. You could also start with one, that is pretty decent at solo, such as Druid, Necro or Magician to see, which play style you prefer the best.

Oh and welcome to the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by pivo; 10-30-2020 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: No reason!
Closed Thread