Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Sarnak

I took the boat just now in TD to OT. Service was prompt and without issue.

+1 would boat again.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1Fz9LWFtg
Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Fire Giant

<Another recycled argument for a non-classic, world reducing "feature" that has progressively destroyed the entire MMO genre, and made p99 so attractive in contrast>

*Mutters about frogs and boiling water...*
Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you said TD is an alternative to boats. how can it be an alternative if you have to take a boat to get there?
Barge from oasis is an alternative because it's about a 5 min wait. Still faster with the run down to the sw corner of zone.
Sadly BB-Timorous isn't really a good alternative.

Boats were superceded first with spires and later with POT stones for a reason. The majority felt the same way as the OP.
However here I imagine the majority here probably want the boats to stay in so the OP should probably just accept that and move on.
I would probably personally vote for teleporters, however I can appreciate how the shrinking of the world sort of killed a lot of the game's atmosphere.

I rather like the system that the first time you go somewhere you have to make it on foot. After that you can insta teleport there.
A bit like how the flight paths in WOW worked.

Also I think if there weren't as many tight wads on this server you might find more druids and wizards available.
Last edited by Vladesch; 09-21-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladesch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I rather like the system that the first time you go somewhere you have to make it on foot. After that you can insta teleport there.
A bit like how the flight paths in WOW worked.
An example closer to your meaning is Diablo.

As you pointed out, insta-teleporting reduces and trivializes the world size unless it's linked directly to gameplay - as it is in classic EQ. You can teleport, just find a class that can take you and know the portal locations i.e. engage with the game world. I still think EQ's is the most elegant, class-affirming, world enriching portal system yet designed.

Boats are time consuming by design (and make the world feel more like a world - I was blown away the first time I crossed OOT).
Last edited by t0lkien; 09-21-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Most of these "ideas" come from the min/max, buy up orc scalp/CB belts/CB pads type crowd who want the classic experience but will shortcut "the journey to 60" at every available opportunity.... with their MQ'd epics and "can anyone port me from EC to South Ro?" shouts.

If that sounds like you, why log in? If the answer is "I already did it fully on my first character" then I'd suggest you're burnt out and need a break [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

By waiting for boats you have to consider whether or not you want to stay in the area you are in, or if you want to find a way to get out of there. I agree with t0lkien, this game makes it so that classes are unique.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

Buy a fishing pole, some bait, and prepare for a whole new level of entertainment that you couldn't possibly imagine while you wait for your own PERSONAL CRUISE SHIP. /cough

Just please -- for the love of Karana -- mind your beer while you're reeling in your line.

EQ: Probably the most difficult and underrated fishing sim of all time
Old 09-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
..."can anyone port me from EC to South Ro?" shouts...
Side note... A few days ago I actually saw someone in EC strip off all their armor before shouting "anyone port to LS for CR?" I stopped to drive-by sow them while they were stripping, and still had them targeted when they did the /shout [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*Mutters about frogs and boiling water...*
Mmmm... More frogs! More boiling water!
Closed Thread