Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

The issue is MMORPG's arent the "thing" anymore. MOBA's, FPS's are more popular and are more geared to the younger twitchy/ADHD generation. You will never get another MMORPG that will be the size of EQ or WoW during it peak.Even though i only played EQ for 13 years as i got older putting in the time to do it was not worth it. And companies are in this business to make money.
Last edited by Thulack; 04-20-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An article I just finished on the demise of EQN which draws upon p99:

"There is a literal army of gamers waiting for that exact game; a significant niche market gravy train that has been waiting patiently (and increasing in spending power) for almost two decades to throw solid money at whomever would step up and do the job. Fan art has been painstakingly produced showing the potential of the idea. A large sub-culture of gamers continues to play EverQuest in its original form on the Project1999 emulation server, holding to the hope that sometime, somewhere, someone is going to get it right again."

The Lesson Behind The Fall of EverQuest Next
I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to refer to p99 players as an "army". There are enough to keep one server filled. A server they get to play on for free.

I don't know how well a real EQ remake would actually do. I have serious doubts if it would be financially successful.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

Pantheon is the best (and only?) hope for a new hardcore mmorpg... if that fails, we're stuck here forever.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Orc

A good read, agreed with the vast majority of it. I've been waiting to drop money on an MMO that reaches EQ standards; but so far, aside from free trials and a month or two of subscription here and there, no game has really locked me in the way EQ still can.

No-risk and minimal punishment in current MMOs make me feel like I really didn't earn anything, and I'm just mindlessly playing through. Gone are the days when a player or group needed to really consider their next move, be quick and concise to pull off the mob kill or quest, or else everything will fall apart horribly. That created real bonds and teamwork of which you can't find anymore.

You don't even need to talk with or group with other players to reach end-game in MMOs anymore, hell you can even pay extra to SKIP RIGHT TO THE END, pay for some more awesome gear, then get bored and maintain your account just so you can tell people you have a fully geared Deathknight or some bullshit.

Definitely looking forward to was Pantheon will be offering.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

I liked reading your other articles you have posted on that site. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.pantheonmmo.com/

Brad Mcquaid's EQ 1.5
I'm just watching, waiting and hoping. He screwed up big on his last project, though it looks as if he took it to heart and hired on actual businesspeople to help handle that side of things and keep him in line. We'll see what happens!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I liked reading your other articles you have posted on that site. Thanks for sharing.
Hey man, thanks very much. And thanks for reading.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to refer to p99 players as an "army". There are enough to keep one server filled. A server they get to play on for free.

I don't know how well a real EQ remake would actually do. I have serious doubts if it would be financially successful.
Yes true if the players on P99 were the only group waiting on such a game. They are a tight core group, and proof of the viability, but are only a very small fraction of the niche demographic I'm referring to. I would guess there are millions at least. I think the first game to hit the right balance will be a " surprise " success so emphatic the rest of the industry will start pumping out clones. As usual.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pantheon is the best (and only?) hope for a new hardcore mmorpg... if that fails, we're stuck here forever.
?? Shards Online
Old 04-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

Just give me an mmo version of fftactics or ff1 where I only have to do stuff like every 10 mins to level my char.

My favorite part about EQ was that it was no more effort/attention-consuming than D&D. I bought FFXIV hoping that it would be derivative of the single player gameplay, not a button-masher. I was very wrong.
Closed Thread