Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: What is third most challenging class to play SSF?
Ranger 12 29.27%
Paladin 26 63.41%
Shadow Knight 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2024, 10:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Wizards got can solo far easier than clerics solo as soon as they can start quadding. Cleric soloing putters out after 40/45 or so when mob HP gets higher.

Do you know how much faster harmony is vs trying to pull singles with FD?
Its night and day. Sks are basically garbage tier until they can FD. Then proceed to be super mid until 60. They have literally 1 way to solo efficiently.

A ranger could definitely get a Tantors Tusk or Wurmslayer EZ.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwooky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you know how much faster harmony is vs trying to pull singles with FD?
Its night and day. Sks are basically garbage tier until they can FD. Then proceed to be super mid until 60. They have literally 1 way to solo efficiently.

Sure, Harmony can be faster at pulling. But bow kiting is slower, and Rangers are going to be facetanking what they aren't bow kiting. Facetanking things on a ranger means downtime recovering HP. Fear kiting saves you on recovery time and kills the mob faster than bow kiting. Both of tese make up for the slower pull.

Wurmslayer isn't better than Swarmcaller, so it isn't too relevant. Just get Swarmcaller from KC. Tantor's Tusk is nice, but very rare, and the process would be extremely slow with bow kiting. I am not sure what you would use Tantor's Tusk on anyway. You basically use bow kiting for anything you couldn't melee, like Tantor, and you would have swarmcaller for mobs that are easy enough to facetank.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

I think you’re underestimating how quickly you can bow kite something dead. Especially when the alternative is a knight (low dps to begin with) with crappy SSF weapon and no worn haste.

Standard vendor arrows, self-made quiver haste, and a self crafted bow along with a SSF very high delay (but otherwise crappy ratio) 2hander to milk that dmg bonus …

Killing with a bow really isn’t that bad.

Have you ever played a SSF melee toon? It’s painful and you have to get by with really crappy gear.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-07-2024, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you’re underestimating how quickly you can bow kite something dead. Especially when the alternative is a knight (low dps to begin with) with crappy SSF weapon and no worn haste.

Standard vendor arrows, self-made quiver haste, and a self crafted bow along with a SSF very high delay (but otherwise crappy ratio) 2hander to milk that dmg bonus …

Killing with a bow really isn’t that bad.
I am not saying bow kiting is bad. Nor am I saying SSF Ranger is bad. I also think that a Ranger has some advantages at leveling for the first 40 levels or so over Knights, since Rangers get their key spells/skills sooner than Knights. This means they can do cheesy tactics earlier than Knights in outdoor zones, which are fairly common in the lower level range.

That is why I said Paladin is probably the hardest of the 3 hybrids to level for the first 40 levels or so earlier in the thread. They get all of their key spells/skills the latest of the three hybrids, and they don't have fear kiting or bow kiting to cheese mobs early on. Paladins start to really get good once you are in the later levels, when your buffs and heals start to mitigate a lot of damage.

However, the idea: "Harmony can sometimes pull faster, therefore Rangers are better/faster killers" is missing the key components of kill speed and recovery times. If you pull faster but kill/recover slower, then you may not be faster than a Knight at the end of the day when looking at kills per hour or total experience gained. Knights can level in dungeons and outdoor zones equally well. This means you need to take ZEM into account. Even if Rangers can get 2-3 more kills per hour via bow kiting, the Knight may still win out in the end in terms of total experience gained. You are going to get a lot more experience per kill in Sol A vs. an outdoor zone typically speaking, for example.

If you or someone else wants to show DPS numbers and kills per hour numbers showing a Ranger vastly outpacing a Knight, I would be happy to concede the point. I don't think anyone here (including myself) has this data on hand. It's experience and gut feelings talking.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-07-2024 at 06:43 PM..
Old 01-07-2024, 07:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwooky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tantor's Tusk would be a sick SSF weapon. I imagine it would take a lot of arrows to kill him. You would probably need to figure out his spawn mechanism or find him on a quake; I've never seen him sitting up.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 PM
Planar Protector

The numbers I can parse aren’t really relevant as I’m not in SSF gear on either my paladin of Ranger. I can say that whatever the gap between my melee and bow dps geared as is, that gap will be a lot smaller on a SSF toon.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Giant_Grub_Digger

-that For a 49 delay weapon for the archery damage bonus
-the same str arrows I’m currently using.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Thunderhoof_Quiver
https://wiki.project1999.com/Runed_Oak_Bow

-33% WR for archery haste
-good magic bow

… both of these items drop off the same centaurs. One is level 20 and the other is level 33-35.

It’s pretty easy to get a decent bow/archery SSF. Much easier than getting the equivalent caliber weapons that you might find for sale for 20-50pp in EC tunnel.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

I guess all I gotta say is this ... once you have done a SSF rogue or warrior no other class comes close to approaching the same difficulty. They are the most gear dependent classes with the least flexibility in what they can accomplish.

-Casters don't really need gear and they all have pretty legit ways of soloing. Cleric gets harder towards the end but still easy compared to the 2 worst.
-Bards need literally nothing but vendor instruments to reach 80% or more their total character power.
-Monks can level in rags and have fists that scale up better than any SSF weapons they might have available for a long time

Of the 3 that remain, debating which one is the worst is going to end up with a lot of different answers and all of them for good reasons. When you get down to it, though, they're gonna get the job done so much more painless than a rog or warrior it's not even funny.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of the 3 that remain, debating which one is the worst is going to end up with a lot of different answers and all of them for good reasons. When you get down to it, though, they're gonna get the job done so much more painless than a rog or warrior it's not even funny.
Agreed!
Old 01-09-2024, 05:57 PM
Kobold

I voted paladin just because the other 2 have options to kill mobs without face tanking them.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I voted paladin just because the other 2 have options to kill mobs without face tanking them.
this is the answer