Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So blue is getting XP bonus for red having kunark released? Think ur posting in the wrong forums man, go post in PVP server chat.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah, blue server doesn't get jack shite and I am unenthusiastic for your upcoming bounties.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeziyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the PvP on Everquest actually decent? It seems more like a PvE game that had PvP sprinkled on.

If I joined I'd probably be an Iksar Monk. Would I get stomped by the good guys all the time or is it kind of rare to actually see people there? What kinds of things would I have to learn in order to succeed?
PVP use to be real fun in EQ, especially when it had meaning. At one time on the Rallos Zek server there was coin and item loot, so you had a lot at stake when engaged in pvp. This ruleset alone separated the population into PKs and Antis.

Also, pvp can be like a chess match at times. With attacks and counter attacks, dispells, etc you could find yourself in some great battles.

Without any real penalty to pvp these days its just an afterthought.

There is a thirst for hardcore rulesets and its a shame we cant get one in EQ. Just look at the DayZ mod for Arma 2. The game alone has been #1 on steam for months and this game has permadeath with full item loot. Now I dont want perma death in EQ like the old Discord Server but im always down for more at stake when pvp is involved.

-g
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

EQ pvp was around from the beginning. They anticipated that people wanting to pvp would be in the minority, but it was hardly an afterthought. I've always found EQ pvp incredibly fun because the world is completely open and theres nothing else that compares. All content can be contested.

People often complain about balance, but in EQ pvp, everyone without exceptions has their advantages and disadvantages. You just have to make sure you have your clickies and don't try to play outside your element.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumble [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another day, another attempt by red server to recruit people from blue. They must be getting desperate for new blood to gank and corpse camp over there.
I myself have never understood the appeal of PvP. I mean I get the competition thing. But why do it in MMO's. MMO's nowadays focus on it so much because it does bring a large crowd. I have always felt that if I crave throttling someone in competition I will go play Mortal Kombat or something. Or Counterstrike, or any number of a bajillion FPS's out there.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdiny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I myself have never understood the appeal of PvP. I mean I get the competition thing.
Apparently because killing naked unarmed noobies makes you a man.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdiny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I myself have never understood the appeal of PvP. I mean I get the competition thing. But why do it in MMO's. MMO's nowadays focus on it so much because it does bring a large crowd. I have always felt that if I crave throttling someone in competition I will go play Mortal Kombat or something. Or Counterstrike, or any number of a bajillion FPS's out there.
Its a way to add immersion and dynanism to a MMO.

scenario:

Paladin strolls through Oasis of Marr, patrolling the region, protecting it from Evil.

Troll SK comes up from the swamps, lurks near the beach looking for prey....

Paladin spots the evil beast and draws his sword and.......

(on blue) makes rude gestures to the troll while troll ignores him

(on red) a titanic battle between light and dark ensues.. holy vs unholy...who shall win?

Which is more immersive to you? We can do one thousand more scenariors (many of them dealing with raids too.... more immersive fighting an oposeing army for the lair like the battle of 5 armies at the end of The Hobbit...... or who can sit in a cave for 3 days straight waiting for dragon to pop and claiming some raid lawyer rules for the right?)

Dont think of pvp within EQ as "mortal kombat" but as constantly occuring dynamic events that cannot be replicated by mob AI.

It gives the player just one more additional shovel to play with, within the SandBox of EQ. Puts more power in YOUR hands to effect the game world and fellow players.

I promise once you look at it in that light, and try it. It will be very hard to go back to EQ-minus-dynamic player interaction. (blue)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently because killing naked unarmed noobies makes you a man.
No, it makes you a villain. Villains should be outcast and hunted down.... what part will you play? Bounty Hunter?

On Red, yes you can.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Fire Giant

If EQ weren't such a level/gear dependent game, I'd love the "role-playing" aspect of PVP. But as it is now it's hard to compete with anyone unless you put a lot of time into your characters. Like, a *lot* of time.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If EQ weren't such a level/gear dependent game, I'd love the "role-playing" aspect of PVP. But as it is now it's hard to compete with anyone unless you put a lot of time into your characters. Like, a *lot* of time.
Not true, browse through all the screenshots in the red section showing kills by undergeared players on geared players.

Gear is not everything, opportunity, strategy, some luck, etc all play a part.
Closed Thread