Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor
Lightbulb Everquest 2 Time Locked Progression Servers

Is anyone here trying this out? If so, is it worth actually checking out?

I played Everquest 2 from release to about mid 2005 or so before WoW swept me up. Tried it again in 2011 or so. Too many changes from the early days to really draw me back in. Figured this might be a decent time to check it out and give it another shot. Especially since Everquest Next looks like it will never release.

Pretty apprehensive about paying a subscription fee again, especially if it isn't any good in the long run.
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Asgard>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

I played EQ2 for a total of like 5 minutes when it first launch, so if they are recreating that experience, no thanks =P
Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Do they have the cities segregated again with betrayal quests? Those were awesome ^^
Old 08-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

Wasn't there a thread on this already? In any case, I didn't care much for EQ2 in many ways... that "teamwork wheel" or whatever it was really did nothing for me, although I did like the rage when a group member died and the whole group lost a small amount of XP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

ive never played eq2, but im willing to try it out.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

The trade skills in EQ2 were amazing before they dumbed them down. I actually enjoyed making all the different components before combining.. I left when they made you just put all the components into one window and hit combine.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Started messing with it today on the Stormhold server. Created a high elf paladin and an ogre guardian (bet you can guess the names). Isle of Refuge, while close, is not what it was starting out originally. It's the same island this time, but hit with some kind of undead plague or something.

It's also kinda weird to see all the non-classic EQ2 races that were released later running around, like Sarnak, Frogloks, fairy people, Freeblood vampires, and those Kerafyrm dragonkin things (Aerakyn?). I'm honestly surprised they never included giants, coldain, or orcs as a playable race.

Still seems reasonably challenging, and the tradeskill system has gone back to an earlier iteration (although it is not quite the original classic system). Amusingly, you can easily kill yourself tradeskilling again.

I actually grouped with some people to do some questing, although just about everyone I ran across is either French or German. Luckily I know a little German, so that wasn't totally bad. Not sure what's up with that.

I also had forgotten just how shitty the engine runs even on modern systems. While I would love to set everything on supermax, it chokes down to 30 FPS or less if I do. Running it on high presets with a few things turned up a bit seems alright though at around 45-60+. My system doesn't suck either. I was kinda hoping they might have optimized the game engine a bit, but it looks like they never did.

Pretty awesome to hear the late Sir Christopher Lee as Lucan D'Lere again though. Forgot how bad ass that was. May he rest in peace.
<The Second Sons> (former member of <Vesica Dei>, <Evoluxa>)

Green Server: Khargulkaronarr - Troll Shadowknight of Cazic Thule - <Asgard>, Mordwin - Human Paladin of Erollisi Marr

(Once Upon a Time: Alarik of the Brell Serilis server)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I started playing on the Stormhold server a couple of weeks ago, and I have been enjoying it. I guess the main thing to realize when going into it is that it isn't going to be a p99 style recreation of classic eq2...while they did make some tweaks, most of the class/item/system changes are the same as live. However, expansion related additions like mercenaries, tradeskill helpers, and flying mounts will be released with the appropriate expansion, so it will (hopefully) be a long time before we have to deal with those things on the server.

There are a few issues that detract from the experience, like summoners being ridiculously OP and rare fabled items (which are supposed to be the best) being worse than easy-to-get treasured items because of the itemization changes they made. I think that as more expansions are released these issues will go away though.

I would say the best part is the amount of activity on the server. I am almost at the level cap and have had no problems finding groups for any of the dungeons while leveling up. It's been fun playing through the classic content again after 6 or so years.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, so far it hasn't been too bad. Was disappointed that they weren't able to bring back the various city suburbs.

Apparently I got Isle of Refuge and Queen's Colony/Overlord's Outpost mixed up.

Originally everyone started on Isle of Refuge. I guess they split it at some point:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Isle_of_Refuge

Vs.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Queen's_Colony

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Outpost_of_the_Overlord
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulghor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, so far it hasn't been too bad. Was disappointed that they weren't able to bring back the various city suburbs.

Apparently I got Isle of Refuge and Queen's Colony/Overlord's Outpost mixed up.

Originally everyone started on Isle of Refuge. I guess they split it at some point:

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Isle_of_Refuge

Vs.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Queen's_Colony

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Outpost_of_the_Overlord
Originally everyone started in Freeport or Qeynos.....
Closed Thread