Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default Real threats against free speach

http://bgr.com/2015/11/20/comcast-in...lity-t-mobile/

get real kids
Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Planar Protector

Basically you don't go with a provider that caps data usage.

BT tried it here in the UK about 5-6 years ago. 2GB a month or you get a fucking huge bill for any extra you use. Unsurprisingly it wasn't popular and BT lost a lot of loyal customers (those idiots who've always just used their phone company for everything else and never shopped around.... who one day woke up).

America used to be a country we were really jealous of in the UK, REALLY jealous of. You guys all had faster connections than us as we were slower to get out of the antiquated dial-up system...but now I know people who pay $150 a month for internet there!

Seriously?! Over $100 a month for internet? I think I was paying $50 with BT (without a cap) and that was considered to be expensive. In fact if you shop around, you can find $5 a month + $23ish line rental here.

Net neutrality is important, I hope anyone trying to cap data usage or any attempts to censor sites has their company plunge into bankruptcy... and should they all start doing it? I'm sure that just paves the way for a new one that won't.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

I loves me some free speaches!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically you don't go with a provider that caps data usage.
That's a great plan and all, except here in the USA we aren't really all that keen on enforcing anti-trust policy anymore, so our corporations (who own the government) conspire to remove options like that from the consumer. Their legal teams roam the country and crush attempts at municipal / public internet, buy politicians to foster favorable legislation and lax FCC enforcement, and try to make things like Google fiber difficult. Really it's just another aspect of our society that has been ruined by corruption and crony capitalism.

Basically, where I live, when I want to buy internet, I get a choice between being raped in my anus and being raped in my mouth. Luckily no data cap though... although if I torrented or streamed a few hundred GB a month I'd definitely hear about it.
Last edited by Lune; 11-20-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 AM
Sarnak

wtf there is data caps on internet? ya'll must live in the ghetto

Then again, I didn't know youtube had ads until I used the internet at my uncle's house last year.
Last edited by sOurDieSel; 11-21-2015 at 02:34 AM..
Old 11-21-2015, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOurDieSel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then again, I didn't know youtube had ads until I used the internet at my uncle's house last year.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2015, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Basically, where I live, when I want to buy internet, I get a choice between being raped in my anus and being raped in my mouth. Luckily no data cap though... although if I torrented or streamed a few hundred GB a month I'd definitely hear about it.
In college my roommate and I had access to a 15 meg up/down line.

We pulled 14.98 megs/s 24 hours a day 7 days a week for about two and half solid months before the school administration caught up with us. They let us know we were using 100% of the schools bandwidth nonstop, and that a criminal investigation would commence and that the state had been notified. They showed us our data usage, which we were even surprised by, and demanded we surrender the MAC addresses they were accusing immediately.

All 5 computers/servers were seized with about 20 HDs, even our 3rd roommate's computer who had nothing to do with it. And we were removed/banned from campus for the year with the option to appeal for housing privileges next year pending the outcome of a criminal investigation by the state.

In judicial, my friend retorted "This is bullshit!" after the charges were laid out. Yeah that didn't go over well in addition to having me falsely testify as an un-involved 3rd party.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 11-21-2015 at 03:35 AM..
Old 11-21-2015, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We pulled 14.98 megs/s 24 hours a day 7 days a week for about two and half solid months before the school administration caught up with us. They let us know we were using 100% of the schools bandwidth nonstop, and that a criminal investigation would commence and that the state had been notified. They showed us our data usage, which we were even surprised by, and demanded we surrender the MAC addresses they were accusing immediately.

All 5 computers/servers were seized with about 20 HDs, even our 3rd roommate's computer who had nothing to do with it. And we were removed/banned from campus for the year with the option to appeal for housing privileges next year pending the outcome of a criminal investigation by the state.

In judicial, my friend retorted "This is bullshit!" after the charges were laid out. Yeah that didn't go over well in addition to having me falsely testify as an un-involved 3rd party.
No warning or anything? Straight to prosecution? Wouldn't happen in England, they do everything they can to keep the already antiquated court system from being more overloaded.

Very harsh though, could someone have suggested the school cap a data allowance and that they perhaps could have done more to stamp it out rather than sprint straight to the legal system to get "justice"? Whoever chose to take you down that route deserves a good kicking.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Holy shit lol what a load of horseshit. Those assholes.

When I was in college me and my roommates torrented constantly. Nothing happened until we got caught torrenting The Hangover, and all the ISP did was shut off our internet and make us promise to stop torrenting when we called them to have it turned back on. Pretty sure we were already starting new torrents while still on the phone with them. Then again, we weren't in the dorms using campus internet.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:

Sounds like you guys don't make a habit of paying artists what they deserve for their hard work. It's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears producing an album or a television show and there's no guarantee of a paycheck for an aspiring artist. The rules exist so we can enjoy art and encourage artists with profit instead of wallowing in filth all day listening to the Red Army Choir.
Closed Thread