Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Also, to maybe make a useful analogy, think about single player RPGs like the Final Fantasy series or Fallout or Morrowind or what have you. If you saw NPCs with cheeky names in those games you might get kind of irritated; you're trying to enjoy the world of the game, and these names break the fourth wall in a sense. It's like J.K. Rowling and her contrived character names, though she's not as bad an offender. The reasoning is similar for character names in MMORPGs.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Kobold

Some good responses so far, however, I'm almost positive the naming policy says nothing about "disturbing the game immersion of another player". If Taxi Driver broke any naming rule, it would be the one about trademarked products, since "Taxi Driver" is a Robert DeNiro movie. However, that would also call into question why IB's guild name hasn't been changed. Plus, a taxi driver is also an occupation, so an argument can be made that it has nothing to do with the movie.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

IB doesn't have to change their name because they have a developer in their guild.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some good responses so far, however, I'm almost positive the naming policy says nothing about "disturbing the game immersion of another player". If Taxi Driver broke any naming rule, it would be the one about trademarked products, since "Taxi Driver" is a Robert DeNiro movie. However, that would also call into question why IB's guild name hasn't been changed. Plus, a taxi driver is also an occupation, so an argument can be made that it has nothing to do with the movie.
Quoting here from the policy itself:
"Character names in EverQuest should be thematically consistent with the high-fantasy environment of EverQuest."
Forbidden names:
"Common words and phrases that would not be found in the time, place and setting of EverQuest (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Cannabis)."
"Names where the combination of the first and last name forms a phrase or violate a previous rule (e.g. Crymea River, Bran Muffin, Story Thyme)."

Maybe you should read the policy carefully before claiming "Taxi Driver" doesn't violate it, bro.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Fire Giant

As per the naming policy.

Quote:
Character names in EverQuest should be thematically consistent with the high-fantasy environment of EverQuest.
I guess that is the bottom line.

I would not be surprised if I lost my surname one day, would not bother me. I have been using the name "hassel" since 2001. EQ live would not let me spell it Hassle and the original intent was to have a name that meant "pain the ass" turns out every single person started calling me "theHoff" so i just went with it. I was Hassel in wow for years with no surname ability and i was constantly called Hoff in vent...oh well.

Can i get a astronomical brazier pick pls?

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

You just used "brew" in IRC and "bro" here. Estu, don't be one of thooooose guys.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Sarnak

While we are on the topic of names. Quest about Surnames, aka last names. Can they have a space? For example let's say my toon's first name is Joe. If I do the command at level 20 type /surname the Man. The would my toon be names Joe the Man or Joe theMan?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While we are on the topic of names. Quest about Surnames, aka last names. Can they have a space? For example let's say my toon's first name is Joe. If I do the command at level 20 type /surname the Man. The would my toon be names Joe the Man or Joe theMan?
Joe theMan. And I'm not sure it would capitalize like that.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Fire Giant

While I agree with most of what you said, there is no excuse for being rude to the GMs. They provide a free, thankless service to all of us and we all appreciate what they do.

We follow their rules and from what I have seen in my limited time on this server they are pretty fair. They have an appeals process and if you aren't happy you can make an appeal. There is no excuse for being rude to a GM because you disagree with a ruling.

You can disagree and state your points all you want but the GMs still have the final say. If you don't like it you don't have to play on this server.

Asher
Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Fire Giant

I used to get more hung up about names, I eventually realized that it was a lost cause, and no one with the power to change it really gives a shit.
I hate the erudites named for famous black people. It's not so much offensive, but it kills my immersion. I don't think its funny. Same for the idiots who name their characters after TV characters and add X's to bookend their name a la xsoandsox. This isn't an Xbox Live Halo game.

That said, I still report every character with an offensive name.
In the last week I've seen a:
Motherfucker
Deepanal
Cumsucker (can't remember the exact spelling)

Those have zero place in any videogame
Closed Thread