Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to vanix Send a message via AIM to vanix Send a message via Yahoo to vanix
Default Debian / Custom compiled mostly + eq?

So I've been wondering if i could possibly play this wonderful game without the horrific winblows experience in so doing.. I have an I7 with 8G of ram and a Geeforce GT635m ... how well would this game run do you guys think on this machine under Debian mostly built by this guy here (me) if only to see the job done personally I'm just wondering .. I've never used wine before at all and if it would play well enough to remove winblows from my life ill give you the respect of saying thank you for any help or information reguarding this or having to dig through years old information mostly and likely out of date in 2020..
Old 02-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Fire Giant

I have previously run this on Mint and Ubuntu 18.04 without issue. That being said I recently upgraded my primary Ubuntu LT to 19.10 and P99 failed to launch. I don't normally play P99 on that system though and haven't circled back to it. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the OS or maybe some corruption, but just be aware of that. I also had some crashing issues with Libre Office, but that may be because I did the "upgrade" path to 19.10 instead of a fresh install, which I usually would do. In any event, see below.

Wiki install guide:
http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

If you are familiar with Linux, Loramin hits it on the head in this post.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=332627
Old 02-05-2020, 06:26 AM
Kobold

Ran like a dream on Wine years ago when I did it. Should run even better on current hardware.

Though there are some .ini tweaks that I needed to do for it to play nice with Wine. Might not be needed anymore, but I haven't tried recently.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Large Rat

Runs flawlessly on my shit, old laptop running Manjaro Linux. So far, have not noticed a need to use WinEQ2. Wine handles it really well. (WinEQ2 would, of course, be running through Wine as well; I'm just saying there doesn't appear to be any reason for that additional step on Linux.)

Only thing to note, when you're following the setup guide, and copying in the patch files:

Make sure you manually delete 'DSETUP.dll' and then rename the same file from the patch from lowercase (i.e. 'dsetup.dll') to uppercase (i.e. 'DSETUP.dll').

This is the one thing that got in the way. It is such a simple fix that took me an entire day to dig up.