Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Large Bat

Default New shaman / player

Hey everyone,

So I decided to come back to Everquest and I am trying out p99. This server is great so far and lots of nice people. I have a few questions when it comes to a shaman though. I played a druid and necro on live so this class is new to me. I use to see shamans use piercing weapons all of the time. Should I focus mainly on piercing or should I use 1 hand blunt too. Also are there any quests I can do as a iksar at the start that is decent?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey everyone,

So I decided to come back to Everquest and I am trying out p99. This server is great so far and lots of nice people. I have a few questions when it comes to a shaman though. I played a druid and necro on live so this class is new to me. I use to see shamans use piercing weapons all of the time. Should I focus mainly on piercing or should I use 1 hand blunt too. Also are there any quests I can do as a iksar at the start that is decent?

Thanks
It doesn't really matter...it happens to be that most of the shaman weapons, but not all, are spears --- so piercing. There are plenty of non-spear weapons also. I'd just use whichever item you get that is the best stats until you can buy or camp something.

Howling Harpoon is what most shamans end up with until they get their epic...they cost about 1k.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar is a good choice for that regen & AC. They can wear robes too. Root Rot to level up. Don't give up.

If you want to do melee combat as a shaman while leveling. roll ogre and get a granite 2h

Practice canni dance.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Large Bat

What level will I start root rotting? I remember doing that with my druid back on live.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What level will I start root rotting? I remember doing that with my druid back on live.
Not until 14 when you get root, but will be fairly slow until 24 when you get Canni/Regen.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Large Bat

Thanks. I am getting close to 14. I should be lv 12 tonight or tomorrow and I am aiming to make 14 by the weekend. Will being an iksar help out alot with Canni?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:18 AM
Fire Giant

Iksar and troll are really nice for regen for canni, it's noticable. I would suggest grouping in oasis for example at your level and up to about 20. It's less boring and usually faster than solo. Shaman's take some time to become somewhat of a DPS class, early on grouping will level you faster. Being iksar you also might consider Kurns, one of the best xp zones in the game (but can be overcrowded and then it stops to be amazing).
Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM
Orc

I'm really happy with choosing troll. Now that I am over 50 (Im 53 atm) its like having a second fungi. At lvl 60, the difference of regen between iksar/troll and other races will compute to something like 5 mana per tick standing and 6,7 sitting when using it to canni. That is like always having a c1.

That said, that wont be so great when you can torpor up and regen is no longer an issue, but thats a long way off! In my opinion, the fact that you can level faster (and get a snare neck clicky) outweighs the stun immunity.

Another thing to consider is that during fights, hp regen = max hit points as long as the fight is of some duration. If it takes 2 minutes to kill you, you will have regened 180 hp more during that fight then a non-troll/iksar shaman. That means that they would have to have 180 more hp from items to have the same survivabilty as you. If the fight is 4 minutes, it would be 360 hp more. Now this is really long fights, but I hear that soloing hard stuff as shammy can take a bit of time. And if its easy solo's, then its easy and no one cares about min/maxing[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Although one could argue that orgres have more survivabilty because they will be less stunned, and can heal/canni more predictably. But thats really hard to quantify.

/Hotpants, 53 shammy
Last edited by rabids; 01-15-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Closed Thread