Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-06-2023, 02:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

EQ runs on my old laptop m win 8 or 8.1..no gpu ...but I bet any amd with integrated gpu chip will run it well as long as you have 8 gig of ram and a SSD ..if that is the main use of the computer. I have an i5 10XXX chip only because I play overwatch once in a while and Diablo 3. Other than that ..any old pc could run it ..I my sons lenovo optiflex with a i5 6XXX chip and a the 1030 gpu can also run it ..you can find optiflex pc's really cheap .I paid about 180 plus shipment when covid hit and today maybe less depends on your budget and what you do on EQ .Just don't buy dell's lol
Old 05-06-2023, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Follow the deals here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PCDeals/

I recommend Lenovo, they have great laptop deals on a regular basis. Can get something along the lines of 8-16gb RAM, 500mb-1gb SSD and a good CPU for $300 or so.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:57 AM
Planar Protector

I haven't had any issues for P99 with Windows 11 that I didn't also have with Windows 10.

Compatibility mode makes that mostly moot.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:05 PM
Decaying Skeleton

For anyone curious, I went with this mini pc and things have gone smooth so far! I have an occasional crash right at log in, and when screen saver kicks in it locks the client and I have to force close, but I’m happy!

Beelink Mini PC 12th Pro Intel-N100 (4C/4T, Up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 500GB PCle SSD Mini Computer, Win 11 Pro Mini Desktop PC Support 4K@60Hz, Dual Display, WiFi6, BT5.2, USB3.2, LAN, Low Power
https://a.co/d/9lmdYwy
Old 05-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Orc

I just recently "upgraded" to an ollld HP model the z820 2 processors build. I had it put together by pcserverandparts.com with some of the highest tier hardware they had available, skipped the video card to get my own on ebay...and a few other things I had handled myself. it was only $460 or so. It came quickly and in good shape I am very happy. I got my friend a twin system 24 core 48 thread 256gb ram. kinda overkill I know but it's alright. thus system will age very well, it's as heavy as you and locks with keys. chock full of fans. The disks we got from them were partitioned weirdly but we sorted it out.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and when screen saver kicks in it locks the client and I have to force close
if you ctrl alt del to trigger the UAC elevation prompt, and then alt tab back to EQ it'll unlock.

-Mcoy
Old 05-23-2023, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey all,

I’m hoping to restart some P99 after a long break, but haven’t had a computer for my household in a while. I’m thinking of just trying to get an inexpensive laptop from a few years back but was wondering if anyone has experience running on a low end machine? I’m assuming a low end machine by todays standards could handle this game, but thought I’d see if anyone had any thoughts/advice.

I think I’d prefer a laptop for the mobility, and getting windows 10. I’ve looked at some of the small form factor pcs too though and they seem pretty affordable but mostly come with windows 11.

Anyways, any help I’d appreciated! Thanks all!
Buy refurbished pcs on eBay. Been doing it for years. Make sure it’s got an ssd and at least 8gb ram. I bought a refurbished thinkpad x1 carbon laptop that’s sleek and still works perfectly 5 years later. It was around $200. It does struggle with zones like tov with 200+ people. If you want to raid heavy I would get something better but otherwise it works great.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I play on a laptop with AMD ryzen 3 and integrated graphics, 8gb ram. Runs super smooth and plays fantastic. Win 11. I use WinEQ program and had to set the "CPU Affinity" to only use 1 core since the game is old and would crash the game, but it works great now. I raid etc with no problems. Laptop cost me $250 at Office Max last year on sale lol.

Miethos - 60 Magician
Old 06-13-2023, 06:38 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah, this game doesn't take too many resources. While my Fallout machine is relatively beefy as an older but still nearly top of the line when it came out, it doesn't bear mentioning. But I also ran EQ P99 on an HP laptop with a very low end graphics card just designed to push the 4k screen it came with and an i5 processor. It ran perfectly fine, better, after having Win11 installed, as Win 11 somehow manages to be lighter weight than Win 10
Old 06-14-2023, 05:50 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Look for one with at least a dual-core processor, 4GB of RAM, and a dedicated or integrated graphics card. Windows 10 is recommended, but check for compatibility with Windows 11 if you prefer. A lightweight and portable laptop would be great for mobility.