Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Delete Off Topic forum?
Yes. Nuke it from orbit. 34 69.39%
No. Maybe I'll finally win. 15 30.61%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Banned

Maybe we should change to Project 1999 Scholars Area
Old 09-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Project 1999 Scholar's Trap House featuring Professor Griff!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2020, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Why is he so greasy
Old 09-30-2020, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imagine being offended by words
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP sounds pompous and entitled. The amount of care you put into this post is sad on many levels. If you don't like off topic....don't go to off topic? Pretty simple.
Read the thread. I used to use New Posts. It kept showing me this silly place.

Baler invented an Einstein equation that filters out the refuse.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

2,134 posts on a niche website dedicated to a video game.

Yeah, it's everyone else who just doesn't get it.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read the thread. I used to use New Posts. It kept showing me this silly place.

Baler invented an Einstein equation that filters out the refuse.
I stopped posting on somethingawful because you literally cannot express dissent of any kind without getting probated for a month or banned. I completely agree with you that not every post in here is great, but damn man get some perspective. You should actually post in here, seriously. More varied perspectives are a good thing when it comes to teasing out truth, even in this modest little environment.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spergand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this forum obligated to teach? The criticism of not learning anything is an admission of learning something you wish you hadn't
A participant in a discussion should teach, learn, or both. You guys just post in a circle. None of you believe each other. That's the problem.

Folks, meet Spergand, aka HalflingSpergand, aka Solleks. He doesn't believe in Covid-19, he believes all manner of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, and he doesn't believe in the moon landing...or space. He even believes masturbation is a conspiracy.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I stopped posting on somethingawful because you literally cannot express dissent of any kind without getting probated for a month or banned. I completely agree with you that not every post in here is great, but damn man get some perspective. You should actually post in here, seriously. More varied perspectives are a good thing when it comes to teasing out truth, even in this modest little environment.
I appreciate the invitation. I think I'm just going to use Baler's forum-fu forum filter from now on to show me only EverQuest-related posts.

And you know what, folks, I don't truly want Off Topic deleted. Having learned how to filter it out of New Posts (I still don't know how Baler figured that out), and having heard the testimony of some Off Topic'ers that they have actually learned things here, I guess it has a place on these forums. I relent. I'm still totally puzzled by why you guys still engage with each other, and I hope you guys actually listen to each other, because I'm not convinced you are.

I was wrong - and I challenge you Off Topic-heads to say the same next time someone criticizes your argument.
Last edited by Videri; 09-30-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Old 09-30-2020, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes. I've lived in enough places and learned different viewpoints for so many different things I can't imagine a mind or life that doesn't value others perspective regardless if you agree with it or not. Learning what others believe and why they believe what they do is a precious thing.

...Understanding others and even changing views is how I learn and grow.
If you think I don't value others' perspectives regardless of whether I agree with them or not, then you quite misunderstand me. My criticism of Off Topic posters is precisely because I value others' perspectives; but I consistently see posters talk in a circle, vastly oversimplify, repeat their own religious convictions or conspiracy beliefs instead of logic-based arguments, ignore each other's points...I'm still not convinced you guys are valuing each others' perspectives.

I don't engage in Off Topic discussions because I am quite sure I won't get anywhere with you people.

Now, some Off Topic'ers are coming out of the woodwork to claim that people learn from each other here, and that people aren't just talking past each other 100% of the time. I'm not convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since February I've seen my IRL friends 3 times. This place is a good spot to sit back and listen/read.
Alright. I'm sorry I appeared to threaten this place, no matter how fucked-up it is. I for real take it back. Please don't worry; I'm confident they won't delete the Off Topic forum.

I admit: just because I throw up my hands when I catch a glimpse of Off Topic in New Posts doesn't mean you all should be denied this...experience. I have bookmarked the magic filter Baler made for me and I will no longer trouble these waters.
Last edited by Videri; 09-30-2020 at 05:20 PM..
Old 09-30-2020, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

I do think that some of the stuff that is said in offtopic crosses a line though.

Honestly I would rather that forum was like snapchat so nobody could ever find out I was talking to someone who later was like "lets kill all the ______ and hitler was my hero"

Like, I get you guys, I understand, I'm a dark elf I hang out with trolls and ogres every day, but the rest of the world doesnt so I can never share this place with a lot of friends cus they be like, "uh so I was looking at the forum you said you like to hang out on, and I'm going to have to question our frendship." lol
Closed Thread