Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to pull in raids, just be a monk imo. Even a human monk outclasses an ogre/troll sk in basically every way.

Troll def has the solo edge. But Even my troll sk who has about 500k in gear, it’s still a painfully slow process. When it comes to sks, just play what you like to stare at, there might be 1-2 times in your entire career where you wipe due to not getting Being able to get a fd off because of Stuns.
Agreed. Many raids don't even give SKs a chance to pull hehe. If you want to pull, being a monk will give you that chance in raids.

Also agreed about soloing. Trolls solo faster, but they still aren't super fast. But this is generally the plight of melee classes, soloing is a slower experience than soloing with a caster.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:58 PM
Kobold

None of it really matters. Period.

As an endgame Ogre SK, I almost never use my BE gear. It doesn't land on virtually anything you fight at endgame. It's just a party trick at this point. You could post-rez snare some chickens near Eashen I guess. I would definitely use Greenmist almost all the time, though (before ToV weapons or maybe epic).

I don't really pull much since we have monks that are much better at that. My FD almost never fails, BTW; really not something I think about. Less often than monks from what I've seen (which IMO is appropriate since it's a spell). I'm 60 and not leveling any more, but when I was I almost never really used that stuff either (I didn't fear kite). I used the bracers for snare most often out of the three major items, followed by the BP buff. I just didn't FD much I guess.

I still get interrupted (just not from frontal bash stun component, usually from push)--don't really care about getting stunned. I could cast in between stuns pretty easily, the only two or three spells that matter are 2s cast or less. Your job is to keep aggro off the people that actually kill the mob.

I never had any issues soloing because (1) this is a damn MMO, don't solo, duo at least, and (2) regen or healing is easy to come by. When I die to a mob that takes me 500-1000 below my HP, regen isn't going to help. Most DoTs take you down too quickly for regen to prevent you from needing heals. If not they are probably wimpy and resists/taps can deal with it.

With buffs I'm max on most stats, and if I'm in a situation where that isn't the case, I'm probably dead because mob scaling is out of whack. Unbuffed I can barely take a round or two from most high-end mobs without copious healing.

If you want to pull, be a monk, or a necro, then SK, then a Ranger/Druid maybe...

Knights in this era are just plain bad. We don't have the discs to tank the big stuff or be good speedbumps. We don't do DPS like the pokey guys. We can aggro better than anyone, though, so we end up taking and putting healers through crap in the hopes that wiz/rogues can kill it fast enough at full throttle. That said, I enjoy playing mine a lot, I tanked Vindi for the first time recently; you just won't be the best at anything, and probably will need to work to be mediocre. Now that I have some nice gear, I regularly get on DPS lists (if I'm not tanking) without discs or anything special really (just haste/buffs), which is exciting. There are some really good ratio top end knight weapons. If you do it right you can get 3 lifetap procs every few seconds + spell, which is a gimmick but is super fun and can help counteract some AEs (but you will still need heals).

Erudite and DE look the coolest, Iksar flops coolest, Ogre snots coolest, Troll uglies the most, and Humans exist too...take your pick. It really doesn't matter that much in the end, so find a non-mechanic reason to play one.

Bottom line is stop caring about endgame min/max and start caring about what's fun.

All that said, objectively, the best is Iksar because they have tails.

GL!
Old 08-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzzzt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bottom line is stop caring about endgame min/max and start caring about what's fun.

GL!
Some people do like Min/Maxing, and there is no reason to discourage it. The "play what you want" argument works for people who want to Min/Max too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-16-2020, 01:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people do like Min/Maxing, and there is no reason to discourage it. The "play what you want" argument works for people who want to Min/Max too[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He's not discouraging minmaxing, he's discouraging minmaxers from claiming that their approach is somehow objectively superior. But then you knew that and made a shitpost that pretends to not be a shitpost anyway.

It's a game, we're here to have fun. It's arrogant and stupid to try to dictate other people's fun. "Best" is subjective, enjoy your minmaxing if that floats your boat, but don't pretend that it is some universal truth version of "best".
Old 08-16-2020, 03:23 AM
Fire Giant

I will say the blood ember greaves are an AMAZING item to have access to. Having that clicky fd when your spell is on cooldown is kind of the best thing ever.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He's not discouraging minmaxing, he's discouraging minmaxers from claiming that their approach is somehow objectively superior. But then you knew that and made a shitpost that pretends to not be a shitpost anyway.

It's a game, we're here to have fun. It's arrogant and stupid to try to dictate other people's fun. "Best" is subjective, enjoy your minmaxing if that floats your boat, but don't pretend that it is some universal truth version of "best".
I really don't understand this attitude on the P99 forums. It is odd you think I am shitposting when I am just stating the truth.

There is objectively a best race/class combo for each class. This is because Everquest works on math. Whichever race/class combo can do their job the best mathematically is the Min/Max choice. Having racial regeneration, for example, will objectively allow a good player to solo faster.

Nobody here has claimed you must Min/Max to have fun. I am not sure why talking about Min/Maxing makes you think this.

You seem to be claiming that talking about Min/Maxing is equivalent to dictating how people must play. That doesn't make sense at all, and it isn't true.

Knowledge is power, and people like to know what the Min/Max option is. Then they can determine what they are missing if they do not choose the Min/Max option. If they are ok with the loss, no problem! If they are not ok with the loss, they may end up choosing the Min/Max option. It is very simple.

The "play what you want" attitude means you must cater to all players, including Min/Maxers. You shouldn't deride people who help those players out.

I am helping the OP, who wants to know the differences between Shadowknight races. If the OP doesn't care about those differences, they can certainly pick Human or Dark Elf for the fashion[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Nobody in this thread is twisting the OP's arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will say the blood ember greaves are an AMAZING item to have access to. Having that clicky fd when your spell is on cooldown is kind of the best thing ever.
I agree, BE Greaves are a great tool to have.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-16-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Old 08-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

^ how is needless defending yourself with another wall of text anything but a shit post? You’re off topic and not contributing.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ how is needless defending yourself with another wall of text anything but a shit post? You’re off topic and not contributing.
This is the only example of shitposting here[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You want to silence other people under the guise of "shitposting". Min/Maxing is a valid topic to discuss, even if you don't like it. Take your own advice and contribute to this thread[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-16-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Pick whatever race for sk you prefer... The difference is honestly tiny for raids... And if you really want to min/max more, roll another class...
Old 08-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pick whatever race for sk... The difference is honestly tiny for raids... And if you really want to min/max more, roll another class...
You can still Min/Max a Shadowknight. Just because they aren't one of top classes in the P99 timeline doesn't mean you can't make the best Shadowknight possible. Some people want to make the best Shadowknight possible, even though it is not the best class out there. That is fun for some people.

I completely agree that if you want to play a large role in raids, you should pick another class. Shadowknights sadly do not get much play in raids. If you want to be a raid tank, go Warrior. If you want to be a puller, go Monk. If you want to be great DPS, go Rogue. If you want to offtank trash and get super cheap raid gear, go Shadowknight[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]