Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Wizard question

So this is my first character on here. I played back on live up until PoP. Had a 54 bard as my main.

Decided to try a wizard on here, mainly because it's different than a bard, I wanted to be able to port, and dont care to play a healer.

I just hit level 30, and am very underwhelmed by the wizard. The mobility of ports is nice, but soloing entails a ton of downtime. Grouping is better, but it feels like every other DPS class does the job better than I can. I am nuking once or twice per mob for 240ish (assuming no resist, which I seem to get a ton of) while melee characters are pumping out far more damage (especially if they're twinked) with no mana concerns.

So does anything change at higher levels, or is this just what being a wizard is? If it gets better, I dont mind sticking it out, but if this is just how it is, I will likely reroll something else. I'm just not particularly enjoying the class.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Planar Protector

That's a wizard life. Quadding will let you kill things 4x faster, but it's still a lot of down time. The nice thing about Wizard though is it's the perfect in the background class. You can kite and then walk away for however long to do other stuff while you med back up and then repeat.

If you don't enjoy it though, definitely reroll. No point playing something you hate.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Yes the wizard is a single minded class, a perfect match for certain type of people. I made my wiz to have a porter and lonesome soloer. Noone will ever bug u for any buffs and most just do /w druid when lookin for ports. Now that youre getting above level 30 new possibilities opens up to you, like quadding.
Dps wise You have no chance of matching twinked out melees in a group, so use utility spells and evac to contribute more. But, u can burst Dps down mobs faster then any other class, which is great for lots of stuff esp Raids.
To me the wiz really turned out a great class(so far lvl 51)

Edit: stuff like staff of Temperate Flux, Journeyman's Boots and shrunken goblin skull Earring makes wizard life alot more sweeter !
Last edited by Muggens; 09-23-2018 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Fire Giant

Druid can port, and really isn't a healer

And is better at killing things than wizards too
Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the responses. I think i will just take a break from the Wizzy for a while. I've got 9 other character slots, so will try something else and then come back.

I did do the Staff of Temperate Flux quest, which is nice. JBoots are far out of my budget at the moment, but on my wish list. I also have all but one rod I need for the Staff of Wheel, but have died twice trying to get the last one from LGuk. Gonna have to wait a few levels to get that one, I guess.

One question, though. How does the Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring help a wizard? It's just a minor atk buff, isn't it?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

You may not like wizard, because what you describe is all true. The truth is that a Wizard is an artillery piece. Artillery is a useful tool on the battlefield for doing high damage to fortifications, but its the foot soldiers (sustained DPS) who will do the most damage to enemy armies and the enemy as a total unit. Artillery is a niche and powerful tool. You are useful as a Wizard to do as much damage in the shortest time possible when need apply. A few situations call for this, but not many situations call for this.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:02 PM
Fire Giant

Somebody has to TL box all the melee back to Temple of Veeshan for repops...
Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Kobold

Gorenaire is killed Alot easier by having 4-6 wizards there oppsed to 2-3 groups of melee classes.

Only wizards can port to plane of sky or plane of hate...

Thsee are examples for why wizards are wanted.
*Sadly I cannot think of other "wizard only" needs*
Old 09-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puluin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gorenaire is killed Alot easier by having 4-6 wizards there oppsed to 2-3 groups of melee classes.

Only wizards can port to plane of sky or plane of hate...

Thsee are examples for why wizards are wanted.
*Sadly I cannot think of other "wizard only" needs*
Yeah ok so kunark dragons... Because the fight is so much easier when it only lasts 20 or 30 seconds...
Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

Ice Comet though
Closed Thread