Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisrak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, how is it? Would you recommend a vive over a rift s?

Cenro - how is it in virtual desktop mode? Do you think it's possible to set it up in true VR and would it be any good?
Its not great, and I have no idea how you can do a real vr in game
Old 08-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ultrawide works fine.
Really? I thought the horizontal viewport was locked on this server. I have bad experience when trying to play ultrawide.

Whether I play at 3440x1400 or 1920x1440 (4:3), The viewport is the same horizontally, but the wider you go, the more is cut off from the top and bottom.

As an ogre trying to play first person in ultrawide, I couldn't see mobs meleeing me (at all) without looking down...

So now i play windowed with a 4:3 /viewport (window slightly wider to put ui elements in black bars, and then just have the wiki up to the side

For that reason, I think VR would be bad.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

I got a screenshot on my computer at home, it works! Ill try to take one I dont normaly play it cus I always multitask and eq but maybe Ill try this week hehe
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

I play in ultra wide and its awesome. I've used a more modern mmo approach for my UI by placing everything in the center of the screen.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play in ultra wide and its awesome. I've used a more modern mmo approach for my UI by placing everything in the center of the screen.
So a few of things:
1. If it works for you great. But objectively, you are seeing less of the world.
2. That screenshot is a very zoomed out 3rd person view. For anyone playing in a first person view, widescreen is a bigger problem
3. The issue is that in that screenshot, if you had your /viewport set to a narrower resolution, you would see MORE even though it would take up a smaller part of your screen, does that make sense? You'd see the top of that dragons wing, for instance.
4. By taking a "modern mmo approach" moving your UI elements to the middle instead of the sides, you've made the issue even worse as you've cut even more from the top/bottom of your field of view. Remember EQ is not a "modern MMU" and it was designed for 4:3 monitors. You'd see more than twice as much of the world if you had some black bars on the side and moved most of the UI into that (some from the different ratio, some reclaimed by UI not being on top of it)

The widescreen issue has been talked about a lot, here are some links:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...44&postcount=1
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...59&postcount=4
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...4&postcount=16
https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999...nitor_this_is/

you can find a ton more information just by googling "project 1999 widescreen"

So again, ultra widescreen is actually quite bad on p99 (if you use the whole screen for the render)
But back to OPs other question about VR... I do not have a VR headset and I don't know about running random games on them, but stereoscopic displays have 2 mostly overlapping taller-than-wide displays, so EQs horizontal viewport limitations actually are not an issue for you there.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Fire Giant

Have you ever given it a try? I'm not contesting that I see less. I'm saying it just is way more awesome. Also, as far as UI placement. Warriors have to swap gear and items constantly. Clickies everywhere. I've seen a huge improvement in my clicky speed time by having everything in the center of the screen.

100% can say if you're playing 4:3 on a tiny monitor you're missing out. Plus, I have the option to play 4:3 on this monitor and it looks terrible.

Edit: consider that all my chat font sizes are set to 5 (the max) when thinking about how this compares to other set ups.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:14 PM
VIP / Contributor

Everyday we fall further from the light...
Old 08-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you ever given it a try? [...]
100% can say if you're playing 4:3 on a tiny monitor you're missing out. Plus, I have the option to play 4:3 on this monitor and it looks terrible.
"it looks terrible" Um, did you set your GPUs output resolution to 4:3? Yes that would look terrible. No, I did not go out and buy a "tiny 4:3 monitor" just to relive the glory days... I use a 34" 3440x1440 monitor.

Of course the first thing I did coming back to P99 after 6 years was to set my resolution to 3440x1440 full screen. And then I went into the warrens with my Ogre SK and could barely play because I could not see any of the kobolds attacking me in first person. 3rd person it is ok, but squarer is still better. Even going to normal widescren 16:9 helps, but I find closer to 4:3 is best.

By the numbers:
at 1920x1440 viewport, I am using 350% more pixels than the average 1024x768 resolution this game was designed for. So... the graphics are hardly impaired.
at 1920x1440 viewport, I have a viewport 79% larger than someone playing at 3440x1440 (same horizontally, 79% larger vertically)
I have 1520x1440 pixels left on my screen to do useful things with. UI elements, p99 wiki, other browswer tabs, etc.
It is not the most cinematic experience, but it is the most practical and playable.

Have YOU ever given it a try?

Assuming you have a 3440x1440 monitor, try this:
eqclient.ini:
change the resolutions in this file to 2200x1300 (this is close, play with this to make it fit well with your window bar and task bar)
launch the game and move the window to oneside side so you can do something useful on the other side.
in game do /viewport 200 0 1800 1300. You now have 200 pixels of black bars on each side to store UI elements you don't need quick access to. I play the same game you do, I know you have to click things and move things around, you can pick and choose which elements are over display or to the side.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I 100% keep everything centered.

I see people playing all the time, where they selecta group member on one corner of their screen, then they mouse... all the way over... to the other side of the screen to chose the heal spell, and then their group member is dead because it took them 2 years to mose from one corner of the screen to the other (why u not healing with hotkeys!)

later I move the bags and everything to be in the correct perfect location, but this is my immediate newbie setup, that becomes a more detailed version of this that I dont have a screenshot for.

KEEP ALL THE BUTTONS IN ONE PLACE PEOPLE! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

look how close my clickies are from the buffs Id replace them with (Im so smart, why am i so bad at this game tho oh thats right because im a karana farmer not a dragon hunter)
Old 08-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

I play P99 on my fridge door.