Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Implementing this takes away the danger from swarming and training.

Please don't make P99 any easier than it already is.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If this is implemented, I look forward to attempting to 6 man Vindi by sticking 4 green giants on each person prior to engage and using group CHeal while he stands there unable to attack anything. Avatar of War may also work with the same setup and a lot of Wort Pots.

I am....not sure this is a good idea. It will definitely mix things up a lot if done though.
Similar thread here:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=336657

The coding seems to have been that in the above situation you describe, Vindi / AoW would run away (back to his spawn point perhaps?)

But anyway he'd summon you one by one as soon as you started damaging him so there goes that theory.
Last edited by Dolalin; 08-18-2020 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: fixed thread link
Old 08-18-2020, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

I'm pretty sure I would walk to his spawn point while getting hit by 4 green giants. From what I understand, the behavior being described here is that as long as 4 things are attacking you, a 5th thing you aggro doesn't but instead does...something else? Looks like it just waits around from the descriptions here.

Be careful how this is implemented if it is implemented. As long as you can still build aggro and it swaps over and takes one of the four slots once it becomes higher than the stuff on you, or raid mobs are made immune to this or will run away from their spawn point and force you to chase them/summon you, then its probably ok. As it appears to be described here, this could get really silly.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...0&postcount=32 kind of notes people abusing this mechanic, it could definitely be leveraged as described there.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

No indications that people couldn't build aggro, or that mobs wouldn't summon if damaged even if 'waiting' outside of melee range (after re-reading the thread this seems to be the consensus on what they'd do -- stand around outside of melee range?)

The abuse as described upthread seems to be a sploity way of kiting a melee-only mob with less risk of being hit. Think about the logistics of the kiting though, would this really be much benefit? How would you keep the 4 greens close and the 1 big mob far away, at all times? Snare is one way to do it, but if the big mob is snare-able you wouldn't need to do this anyway. As any bard/wiz/druid knows, turning corners will see the mobs start to overlap each other and stack, then all bets are off on which of them hit you when they get into range, since it's prox based -- the closest 4 would melee you.
Last edited by Dolalin; 08-18-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 03:51 AM
Fire Giant

Default another post support 4 attacker limit.

Found this today and remembered this discussion

https://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-2049.html

Quinan post about power level his cleric

"10-17 Unrest Yard - OMG, if you have never PL'd here, this is the place for you! I would run my cleric around and argo huge trains. Pull back to where I parked my druid and the mobs would line up to hit me. Only 4 would hit at once, the rest would wait in line! Also, nothing runs away, best zone to PL IMHO."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 11-17-2020, 03:58 AM
Planar Protector

Definitely don't need to add exploits to P99 even if they are classic.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't "Whirl 'til you Hurl": it's not an exploit, it's a fundamental mechanic of the game.

Look in the upper-left-hand corner: R&N built this place to re-create the game of 1999-2001. If you start deciding what mechanics to keep and which ones not to, you're making a new "balanced" game ... not classic EQ.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look in the upper-left-hand corner: R&N built this place to re-create the game of 1999-2001. If you start deciding what mechanics to keep and which ones not to, you're making a new "balanced" game ... not classic EQ.
R&N have been doing precisely that for the last 11 years - deciding what mechanics to keep and which ones not to (or which new ones to throw in), in order to recreate classic feel, or at least get as close to it as reasonably possible.

Rooting dragons, nerfing clickies, forbidding multiboxing, adding /list, limiting AE to 25... the list can go on and on.

Limiting the amount of NPC's attacking one particular target to 4 would open a Pandora's box of new exploits or at least "creative-exploitive gameplay" that nor them, me or you want to see hit the server.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Translation: "We don't need actual classic on this server. Just classic like I remember it and want people to play it."
Old 04-12-2021, 04:08 AM
Sarnak

This is very interesting, why would classic have this mechanic? Reduce lag/spam? It seems very odd but also very much inline with spells having a max target number of 4.