Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has less to do with their competency and more to do with priorities. Finding ways to ban their paying subscribers is not on the top of that list.

In fact, back in June of 2006 (or was it 2007?), one of the coders on EQLive put a system into the client to track calls to certain functions that were also hooked into by macroquest. By incrementing a variable once right before every call to that function, and also incrementing a second variable inside of that function, and comparing those variables, one could tell if those variables ever differed that an external hook was in place. This then triggered the client to send a special packet to the server which flagged your account (but didn't take any action) for third party programs.

Due to the overwhelming number of accounts that were flagged by this, SOE decided not to take any action against the flagged accounts.
Damn man, this is some epic insight. I never played back when that went down but it makes sense. This client just has the two CRCs sent at worldserver login, which is how you validate that people have proper spell files?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Sarnak

I used to get the warping message all the time on VzTz.

"Large warp detected"

I was annoying cause a message was sent server wide and you were left with no health or mana... Free kill. I wasn't even hackin.
Soulez Taken SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimm View Post
Not only best thread ever, but best poster ever. Going back and reading each one of this guy's 101 posts has been amazing. Its like someone gave a down syndrome child a handle of vodka and a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
Where did my underwear go?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by redghosthunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am annoying

fixed.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

I saw a red message come up 'Large warp detected' on 1999 one night recently. I don't hack.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbousaur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saw a red message come up 'Large warp detected' on 1999 one night recently. I don't hack.
It's caused by packet loss. If you're on a wireless connection, you can end up seeing it all the time.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hacking; how to ruin the fun of any game.
I support this. Anyone who hacks or knows how to hack is a loser irl.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

There were two warp detectors built by the VZTZ devs. The newer one works by calculating maximum velocity between two locations and points in time, meaning packet loss and lag should rarely if ever set it off. False positives happen but are pretty rare, Crucify's acker logs were actually pretty minimal compared to what you would expect (may have to do with the insta IP bans for the blatant spreading word quickly).
Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Too bad they don't implement anti-cheating solutions on EQ pvp servers like they do here.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"