Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Large Rat

Talking Exploring Norrath

Hail and well met to all!

I'm a new player who discovered Project 1999 through various YouTubers – AC-Gamer, level1undercon, FlattsHD / HeyFlightmode, and SuperBitsandBob, to name a few. I only dabbled in EQ on a friend's account back when Kunark and Velious were still relatively new. While I never really liked MMORPGs even to this day – I'm a die-hard, old-school RPG fan and roleplayer who personally tends to find MMOs to be watered-down grindy experiences, with rare exceptions – I always wanted to explore Norrath as I love the lore behind it. This server has given me the chance to finally do that without all the crazy plane-hopping, over-complicated expansions, but I fear that that despite my preference to do things alone at my own speed, I may have to <gasp> group to see some of the more challenging locations. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So, I extend greetings to you, my fellow players, and hope that maybe when I am able to actually get any of my characters to 10th level and up, I may be able to join up with any number of you what I hope to be the start of a grand adventure. Mostly likely, my High Elf Wizard (Faydark for life!) will be the first to reach this point, though I plan to play all the caster classes (each of different races) and Bard at least a little. As I played the same race/class back in the day, I am most familiar with Greater and Lesser Faydark, though I have explored a little of Nektulos (as a Dark Elf Necromancer and a Dark Elf Warrior) as well. Every other zone/location is on my itinerary to experience for the first time at some point.

Unfortunately, despite having been a gamer since before I learned how to read, I'm very much a casual gamer and not all that versed in playing MMOs, so my contributions may be... shaky, at least at first. I also work nights Tue through Sat (eastern timezone), so I will probably be on at wonky hours or on Sundays/Mondays.

All that said: I look forward to exploring the depths and heights of Norrath with any who are willing to join me on my crazy touristy expeditions. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[Hopefully this doesn't come off as too odd; typing this up quickly during some scattered downtime at work, so it might seem a bit... erm... fractured and eccentric]
Old 11-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Orc

Welcome to the forums and to P99! I've also recently started playing and have a level 6 Halfling Clerk. I played from 1999-2002 and EQ is the best gaming experience I've ever had. It's been so much fun diving into the world of Norrath again.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Aviak

Welcome to Norrath! Hope you enjoy the world as much as we do. Ask away if you have any questions.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Large Rat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff02 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome to Norrath! Hope you enjoy the world as much as we do. Ask away if you have any questions.
Thanks for the welcome! As of right now, I'm just trying to get through the early levels and learn the ropes again for now. However, this time I'm playing without my friend coaching me with what spells to focus on, what to avoid, where to go, and so on, so I'm enjoying the trial-and-error that I missed out on back in the day. I probably will have a few questions later on as I start getting into unfamiliar territory – which is basically after maybe a delve into Crushbone (assuming a Faydark character gets to that level first). [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Large Rat

Oh, before I forget again: I'm on the Blue Server with the following characters so far. I believe the character names are as follows:

Elyssara - High Elf Wizard 4 in Felwithe (main)
Katyra - Half Elf Bard 2 in Kelethin
???? (forgot the name at the moment) - Dark Elf Magician 1 in Neriak

I'll, um, edit this later with correct spellings if I misspelled any like a doof. Currently not at my PC, so I can't really check. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Fire Giant

Wizard and Bards are cool tourist choices!
Welcome and enjoy your trip.
If you like tourism I may also recommend Druids on your list of class-to-try as they probably have the best overall box of tools to get around almost all of Norrath with very little trouble [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, grouping is just clicking on follow/invite and then killing stuff with other people, stay calm relax ^^ many people of the "starting zone" insist so much on them being "casual" and looking for a solo class cause they can't play a lot but you can play 15 mins a day one day a week and still group 95% of your time without anyone ever complaining hehe.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Welcome, LordSephleon! Norrath is an interesting world and there's a lot to do and experience in it. I've found there are many people on the server who enjoy taking their time and enjoying the journey rather than rushing to hit max level; i.e. there are plenty of like-minded people to group with. The challenge MAY be to find some that play the same hours as you, depending on what hours you play; in my experience, I've found that the standard weekday workday timeframe (9AM-5/6PM ish) is a low population timeframe but it picks up significantly in the evening.

I agree with Nagoya about trying out druids. I started out with a necro because of their soloing abilities; it's a fun class but I enjoy my druid a lot more. They are strong at soloing and still have awesome mobility once you get Spirit of the Wolf and their ports.

Hope you enjoy your adventures!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Large Rat

Welcome! I am in a similar boat to you, having joined literally last week after playing in 1999!

I'm also a Gfaydark brethren too! /high 5

I'm at least as rusty as you are at the moment, and I'm blindly wandering around as a level 3 Druid, so if you fancy some co-op, and random touristy type shenanigans, I can help us get there a bit quicker with SoW [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm in the UK timezone, so with your shifts, it may even work!

My Druid, if not dead, will be flailing around uselessly in and around Gfay, name of Vinylblair.

Good luck out there, we're all counting on you.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Fire Giant

Bard is a great class to explore with, imo.

You can outrun anything in the game outdoors. This is especially nice now that mobs forget about you if you run far enough away from them.

Indoor/outdoor you can mez huge packs of mobs all at once if they are level 25 or below. You can lull mobs to pass by them without getting attacked. You get invis that is the most reliable invis in the game for a non-rogue, it will never drop in a bad spot unless you stop the song. You get sneak which helps get around and allows you to sell to any vendor. You get faction song which can be extremely overpowered, for example if you don't kill any Goblins in Sol A you can make all the goblins like you so you can explore without getting attacked. You can heal yourself while running. Eventually you can turn into a Dark Elf allowing you to venture into evil cities.

Wizard sounds like a good choice for exploring, but outside of porting from point A to point B they don't have many options for when they actually get attacked and without SOW it will be slow going to get from the wizard port in to whatever zone you want to see. Outside of a rogue, which moves slow as shit while exploring, and a monk that feign deaths its way around, bard is one of the best options.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Large Rat

I nearly rolled a bard! Never tried one and was very tempted.
Closed Thread