Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Sarnak

Thumbs up Newbie enchanter questions

I have a new level 19 enchanter and I'm really loving it. A few questions:

After breaking charm, is it better to kill your former pet and/or its target with a nuke like Sanity Warp or a dot like Choke? The dot is more mana efficient but takes longer...

What is the radius on our PBAOE stuns? I'm hunting in the tunnels of Kurn's and I'm not KOS to the badgers. Don't want to stun one and lose faction.

Also, should Minor Illusion make me indifferent to all (so I can AFK)? It doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Kobold

Depends on the HP the mob(s) has/have left. I try to figure out which % is taken out by which dd spell on camps I do for longer. When you need to kill the mob and would need more dmg than your highest dd, use the dot. Normally I recharm when hp is higher than my best dd and use the pet for the next target, and always do if hp is higher than the best dot.

Don't know exactly or how to describe except you will get a feeling for the pbaoe range. If you aggro a badger mez it, con to check if blurred, if not remez until mem blurred.

Minor Illusion sets your race modifier to neutral, if you are still hated it is because of class, religion, prior killings, mob hates everyone, etc... To summ it up, it only works rarely.

Vallon Zek (1999-2003) <Boten der Apokalypse, House T'Sai, Innoruuk's Legion, Orden des Lichts, Ancient Orden, Ancient Dawn>
[65 Barb SHM] Stear | [54 DE CLR] Palanthas
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

After breaking charm, is it better to kill your former pet and/or its target with a nuke like Sanity Warp or a dot like Choke? The dot is more mana efficient but takes longer...

What is the radius on our PBAOE stuns? I'm hunting in the tunnels of Kurn's and I'm not KOS to the badgers. Don't want to stun one and lose faction.

Also, should Minor Illusion make me indifferent to all (so I can AFK)? It doesn't seem to work for me.
I strongly prefer DDs. There is an initial chance to break root on damage from the DD component of Enchanter DOTs, and they do so little damage that it feels less risky to burn the mana on a second nuke.

PBAOE stun size is small, but probably bigger than you think. It’s big enough that I often stun more than I expect.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What spell to finish off the mobs really depends on their health. Sure it goes without saying, but always use the least mana possible. If you have to re-root in order to safely use Choke to finish off a mob it's probably better you just use Sanity Warp.

Color Flux has the smallest range, mobs basically have to be in melee range for it to hit them. Color Shift has a slightly larger range, but mobs still have to be close. It's not until you get Color Skew and really Color Slant that you really have to worry about hitting mobs you're not engaged with, unless you are standing right beside said mobs.

The AE range values as listed on Alla
Color Flux: 20
Color Shift: 25
Color Skew: 30
Color Slant: 35

Those values might not be exactly the same on P99, but I feel like the increases of 5 for each stun is accurate.

Minor Illusion faction got nerfed a long time ago. Unless you're a Dark Elf with hide in an area where no mobs see invis there's really no way to safely afk for long periods of time. Download GINA, make an audio trigger for mobs hitting you and for invis wearing off, then you can AFK and hear it from a distance if invis is dropping or you're getting your ass kicked.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Aviak

If you accidentally stun a badger then just gate - you have to kill the mob to lose faction.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What spell to finish off the mobs really depends on their health. Sure it goes without saying, but always use the least mana possible. If you have to re-root in order to safely use Choke to finish off a mob it's probably better you just use Sanity Warp.

Color Flux has the smallest range, mobs basically have to be in melee range for it to hit them. Color Shift has a slightly larger range, but mobs still have to be close. It's not until you get Color Skew and really Color Slant that you really have to worry about hitting mobs you're not engaged with, unless you are standing right beside said mobs.

The AE range values as listed on Alla
Color Flux: 20
Color Shift: 25
Color Skew: 30
Color Slant: 35

Those values might not be exactly the same on P99, but I feel like the increases of 5 for each stun is accurate.

Minor Illusion faction got nerfed a long time ago. Unless you're a Dark Elf with hide in an area where no mobs see invis there's really no way to safely afk for long periods of time. Download GINA, make an audio trigger for mobs hitting you and for invis wearing off, then you can AFK and hear it from a distance if invis is dropping or you're getting your ass kicked.
Nice, I didn't know that the diff stuns had larger AE ranges. That explains some of mein kampf when it came to accurately predicting dank AE stuns on moving packs.

Triiz is right. GINA is the smartest thing for you if you want AFKs. As i leveled my ENC, I was super scared all the time and rarely went AFK, especially when you're soloing deep in dangerous dungeons (whichi s the only way to go if you're cool).

I also strongly prefer DD to finish off mobs. Going forward, your DoTs really suck even worse. And think about this... the DD may be less mana efficient, but if the mob is dead, then you really can sit there and med up without any threats. Sidenote: keep your lower level nukes easily accessible. As you go forward, you'll become skilled enough to quickly swap out cheaper nukes to finish the enemy's life.

If the DOT breaks your root on impact, or if root fades as you wait for mob to die, and you get hit by 1 round of combat, you're losing extremely valuable HP which is your most precious commodity as an ENC. Your only way of getting back HP is using the weak bonus regen from Troll Illusion and bandaids below 50%. Your priority, at all times, should be conserving HP at the expense of mana as a charm soloist.

If you're level 19 and already soloing in dungeons and asking these kind of questions, I am confident that you will do extremely well!

-Check out Najena for your early 20s.

-Sol A and HHK for your 25-30s is great.

-Festering hags in Unrest ~35 are awesome. Low HP and they will obliterate one another with nukes.

This is a good tip for a new enchanter. Caster pets are GREAT for charming. When they break, they will often stop to try and cast a spell which gives you a moment to stun and recharm.

Use your lowest level root all the way til you get the level 50 something Instill or w/e. Level 4 Mez is awesome and has a 33% chance (iirc) of memblurring your target. Even at level 55 i often run with level 4 mez and Root memmed...

Keep posting as you grow. Plenty of help to be found on this forum!
Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Use your lowest level root all the way til you get the level 50 something Instill or w/e. Level 4 Mez is awesome and has a 33% chance (iirc) of memblurring your target. Even at level 55 i often run with level 4 mez and Root memmed...

Keep posting as you grow. Plenty of help to be found on this forum!
Yeah I also used lvl 4 root until Fetter at 57. I still keep lvl 4 Mez mem'd 95% of the time at 60 because it has such a high chance to blur, it's low mana cost, it over rides AOE mez and you don't want to keep your pet mez'd for any longer than needed on charm breaks. Certain situations you will want longer mez's, but lvl 4 Mez is good for most leveling.

Another thing I would add for a starting Enchanter, a lot of people under rate the usefulness of Color Flux because it's only a 4 second stun and the range is small, but it also has the fastest cast time of any stun. If you use Color Flux followed immediately followed by Color Shift/Slant you can easily land a mez, root, or a charm once you are using Color Slant.

The 1 second cast time on Color Flux makes it extremely hard for even a 65% hasted duel wielding pet to interrupt and you will take less damage. Color Skew is the stun I use the least of the 4 Enchanter stuns because of the 2 second cast time, I never use it unless I am stun locking something.

Always keep 2 stuns mem'd once you have them, it will save your life tons of times.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Pro tip
Start throwing extra plat in your bank to purchase peridots
Doesn't take long if you do it every time you got town

I generally take anything excess over 200p and put it in the bank and in no time I had about 20k exclusively for peridots

I'm bored at work and were sharing so why not
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Get yourself a goblin gazughi ring, break charm at like 1-2%, and Choke it down. I used that spell nearly into my 40s, was just a great cheap way to do it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylan295 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PBAOE stun size is small, but probably bigger than you think. It’s big enough that I often stun more than I expect.
The first color spell has a pretty damn small aoe. I usually found it hard to be close enough for it to land without also being in melee range of the thing I'm trying to stun. The rest of the color line is a lot more forgiving though.
Closed Thread