Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
except for the whole low dps thing

monk is the best possible pair with a shaman and it really isnt close unless you're talking mega-twinked warrior on blue
The low DPS is not that big of a deal and doesn't become very evident until after level 20. Prior to level 20 just equip a 2-hander that hits for DMG cap and yer all set. I would agree that for the sub 50 game the MNK wins pretty handily, but later on in the game having a proper tank/slow combo will become invaluable. Not to mention you are 2/3 of a perfect group already in the making. If you are a SHD/SHM duo, you just shout that you are looking for more... any will do, really. If you are a MNK/SHM duo, you still NEED a tank to get a proper group going and the tank is usually the hardest part to fill, and usually the one that breaks the group when they leave.

I duo'd Iksar MNK/SHM with a friend of mine, and by the time we hit 57 I thoroughly regretted my decision and wished I had gone SHD instead of MNK. We were trying to do dungeon crawls and my ability to tank became too much of an issue. Threat was difficult between slows, dots and heals, and even with a Fungi and decent twinkage, the MNK just needed too many heals. God forbid we got into any trouble because the MNK has practically zero ability to contribute anything beyond MOAR PUNCH!

A torpor SHM with a well geared SHD can duo practically anything. Yes a MNK would do well, but for what a SHM needs/wants to succeed the most, being able to hold agro and take the hits is FAR more useful than a slightly faster time-to-kill.

I think the best argument here is that there are no things a MNK can do that a SHD cannot, even if the kill takes longer. However, there ARE targets that a MNK could not tank for the SHM but a SHD could handle easily. Their DPS doesn't add up to enough of a difference to overcome their lack of agro, utility and damage mitigation.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroKill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The low DPS is not that big of a deal and doesn't become very evident until after level 20. Prior to level 20 just equip a 2-hander that hits for DMG cap and yer all set. I would agree that for the sub 50 game the MNK wins pretty handily, but later on in the game having a proper tank/slow combo will become invaluable. Not to mention you are 2/3 of a perfect group already in the making. If you are a SHD/SHM duo, you just shout that you are looking for more... any will do, really. If you are a MNK/SHM duo, you still NEED a tank to get a proper group going and the tank is usually the hardest part to fill, and usually the one that breaks the group when they leave.

I duo'd Iksar MNK/SHM with a friend of mine, and by the time we hit 57 I thoroughly regretted my decision and wished I had gone SHD instead of MNK. We were trying to do dungeon crawls and my ability to tank became too much of an issue. Threat was difficult between slows, dots and heals, and even with a Fungi and decent twinkage, the MNK just needed too many heals. God forbid we got into any trouble because the MNK has practically zero ability to contribute anything beyond MOAR PUNCH!

A torpor SHM with a well geared SHD can duo practically anything. Yes a MNK would do well, but for what a SHM needs/wants to succeed the most, being able to hold agro and take the hits is FAR more useful than a slightly faster time-to-kill.

I think the best argument here is that there are no things a MNK can do that a SHD cannot, even if the kill takes longer. However, there ARE targets that a MNK could not tank for the SHM but a SHD could handle easily. Their DPS doesn't add up to enough of a difference to overcome their lack of agro, utility and damage mitigation.
So your shaman didn't like to root mobs, got it. You had a crappy duo partner which made it feel like a slog.

You are quite possibly the only person on P99 that would even try to argue SK > Monk for duo w/ a shaman.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
except for the whole low dps thing

monk is the best possible pair with a shaman and it really isnt close unless you're talking mega-twinked warrior on blue
You missed the whole point there, Toxic Gen...
Old 01-28-2021, 01:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You are quite possibly the only person on P99 that would even try to argue SK > Monk for duo w/ a shaman.
He isn't. I know others who feel that way. I know Shamans who feel that way having duo'd with both. For my own part I rate the Monk and Shadow Knight-based duos as largely equivalent given typical gearing. Monk/Shaman and Shadow Knight/Shaman do the same camps. Kill rate for either duo isn't usually all that different. Either setup has some strengths and weaknesses vs the other, depending on opponent.

Danth
Old 01-28-2021, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

Whats the magelo of this 57+ shaman monk duo?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:40 PM
Aviak

When I leveled a shaman I felt the best partners were warriors. Once mobs are slowed anything can tank them so what a shaman needs for a partner is dps. Both warriors and monks provide good dps but monks re really really slow pullers and eventually you’ll just start pulling rooms full of mobs and have the shaman root and slow each of them. Warrior much better in this scenario...esp once you are comfortable with keeping the warrior in berserker mode
Last edited by Stroboo; 01-28-2021 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect>me
Closed Thread