Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbringer55 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome so if warrior appeals, go for it? I played a SK a long time ago but always got passed over when the real mobs needed to be tanked so I'd rather push a warrior if it still means I get the chance to stand in a fight for the raid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbringer55 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess the other question I have - even if "surplus" in a large raid guild, do you still have a shot at warrior loot, or is it pretty contested still?
It seems the root of your questions here isn't as much about whether or not to play a warrior, but rather which guild to join. A good guild that has the right structure will not only rotate you in and give you a chance to tank endgame content, but also give you a FAIR chance at getting gear. Looking at you 'loot councils'.

As a warrior main, getting your ass smashed for 5 minutes by a giant wurm while a team of clerics sprinkle their magic over your worn out body is an amazing experience. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In all seriousness, yes play a warrior, do your research on a good guild and be plain about your expectations before you join and invest too much time. You also have to realize you need to put work in to be eligible to tank.

You need to get 60.
You need to get gear. (hp, aggro)
You need to properly understand raid tank game mechanics.

So long as you have these basics down, no reasonable guild would refuse you the opportunities.

If you want more advice starting a warrior feel free to PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:09 AM
Fire Giant

When doing DA engages you can’t start a discipline, you will fizzle the defensive or evasive.

Caught me out once, Woops [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-07-2021, 04:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I guess the other question I have - even if "surplus" in a large raid guild, do you still have a shot at warrior loot, or is it pretty contested still?
Yes. Just make sure you join a DKP guild so you don't get cheated on by loot councils which may reward the core group or old members before you.

More importantly, you want a DKP guild that actually does get the kills, or else the dkp becomes inflated.

This thread should help - https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=386534
Old 07-07-2021, 09:43 AM
Orc

Awesome, some great suggestions in here! Thank you everyone!
Old 07-09-2021, 02:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Awesome, some great suggestions in here! Thank you everyone!
I'm surprised no one has suggested that you start with something other than a warrior early in your p99 career due to the gear reliance of warriors... I'm glad they haven't though! As a fellow nights/weekends only/mostly player i can tell you there's going to be pain/difficulty getting any character up to 60, and it may take a long time, so you may as well do it with the one you want to ultimately play!
Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors are great, they can be boring as fuck though because you have like 3 buttons to press....ever
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 07-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warriors are great, they can be boring as fuck though because you have like 3 buttons to press....ever
Warrior is not a well-designed class, admittedly. Actually, arguably the worst-designed class since they don't get any aggro abilities with which to hold aggro, which is their primary job aside from soaking up damage. Having to rely on expensive high-ratio proc weapons and good worn haste is really stupid. That's definitely something to consider if you want to roll warrior -- you need the funds to get a decent aggro loadout or you're going to look bad as a tank and have a bad time. Expecting root to be available 24/7 to solve your aggro problems is unrealistic.

In all fairness, knight classes are almost as boring in a typical tanking situation where you're basically just using disease cloud or flash of light to hold aggro along with your melee swing, and maybe a DD spell if you're facing undead. Several classes fall into the "use one or two buttons" routine in a group leveling scenario, really.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Imagine pressing TWO buttons as a rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:14 AM
Kobold

Imagine zero as a wizard
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM
Fire Giant

warrior - the king of classes