Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The giants around the Kael Drakkel zone-in don't drop corroded armor. The giants that do are mostly beyond your ability as a Paladin to effectively solo, and the few a Paladin can sort of handle (a couple of see-invis giants in the 4-way area for example) have such absurdly low drop rates as to render the attempt an exercise in futility. Even if you could solo it, you'd be at or near 60 and already equipped in stuff better than Thurgadin armor by the time you do it.

Thurgadin armor does not require raids, but it's not really meant for soloists either. It's group content for high-level players. Areas such as the plate house offer good drop rates and are very much single-group doable.

You can make the money to MQ the pieces far more quickly than you'd likely be able to solo/duo it. Plate house groups offer good enough drop rates to be worth going there but you'd either need a guild or a decent number of friends--it's not an area you'll usually find pick-up groups (but watch for such groups for when they occur). You can in theory obtain most of the gems (aside from chest slot gems) from random solo'able monsters in zones like Velketor's, but once again you can make the platinum needed to buy the same gems far more rapidly elsewhere. A Paladin is unlikely to solo farm the diamonds effectively although he can quite easily duo for them with an Enchanter partner.

Danth
if I just MQ all the pieces and buy my own gems, excluding the chest, what kind of ballpark cost am I looking at?

I know the Chest alone is roughly 15k or so, factoring in the diamonds.

It's a toss-up which one I want to go for, either a full set of Thurgadin, or a full set of Hate or Fear armor (I.E Valorium or Righteous) as my entry-level raiding set. One of the two.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if I just MQ all the pieces and buy my own gems, excluding the chest, what kind of ballpark cost am I looking at?

I know the Chest alone is roughly 15k or so, factoring in the diamonds.

It's a toss-up which one I want to go for, either a full set of Thurgadin, or a full set of Hate or Fear armor (I.E Valorium or Righteous) as my entry-level raiding set. One of the two.
Velious armor is superior to hate armor. For SK/Paly, get Silver Chitin Boots, Gloves, and Bracelets. They are better than their Thurg counterparts. The Thurg arms and hat are good. Thurg legs will cost you 8-10k, and it would probably be cheaper and better to just buy deepwater BP, good stats and clickie.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

I think I'd rather just farm all the pieces myself then. It'll take time, but I'll make plat doing it instead of losing it, and part of the Everquest experience is actually putting the work in and earning this stuff, Epic included.

I'm using Crystal Chitin on my pally right now but I'm going to transfer that to start my Ranger very soon, and when I do my Pally will be back to using his old gear, including:

Brigandine Tunic
Black Ice Leggings
Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
Dwarven Work Boots
Crested Helmet
Vambraces of Avoidance

So I'm hoping that will be good enough to hold me over until I can start replacing it with Planar or Thurgadin Armor.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

The plane of fear set (Valorium) is largely outdated in the Velious era. You might use a few pieces of it as temporary filler but in general it's not worth making a concerted effort to obtain it anymore. The plane of hate Paladin set (Righteous) serves as an alternative to Thurgadin armor because Paladins are one of several classes which do not have a set in Plane of Growth. The hateplane set is limited by a couple factors including the requirement to clear the second floor (not all guilds do) as well as by low drop rates on the pieces. If you're determined enough to obtain it, it's a nice set.

I agree with DeathsSilkyMist with respect to the lack of need to fill out the sets: As a general rule you shouldn't feel like you have to obtain an entire set unless you're doing so for the sake of completion. For example, compare Crystal Chitin Boots to the Paladin Thurgadin set and you should immediately see that there's little point in exchanging one for the other. Chest and legs tend to be the most difficult alternatives to find.

Danth
Old 07-05-2020, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The plane of fear set (Valorium) is largely outdated in the Velious era. You might use a few pieces of it as temporary filler but in general it's not worth making a concerted effort to obtain it anymore. The plane of hate Paladin set (Righteous) serves as an alternative to Thurgadin armor because Paladins are one of several classes which do not have a set in Plane of Growth. The hateplane set is limited by a couple factors including the requirement to clear the second floor (not all guilds do) as well as by low drop rates on the pieces. If you're determined enough to obtain it, it's a nice set.

I agree with DeathsSilkyMist with respect to the lack of need to fill out the sets: As a general rule you shouldn't feel like you have to obtain an entire set unless you're doing so for the sake of completion. For example, compare Crystal Chitin Boots to the Paladin Thurgadin set and you should immediately see that there's little point in exchanging one for the other. Chest and legs tend to be the most difficult alternatives to find.

Danth
I like assembling full sets partially for completion, and partially for fashion, making sure my armor is nice and uniform and not a mishmash of different graphics.

I don't suppose people let armor pieces rot in Kael, so I could snag some for free if I just sit at the entrance and wait?
Old 07-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like assembling full sets partially for completion, and partially for fashion, making sure my armor is nice and uniform and not a mishmash of different graphics.

I don't suppose people let armor pieces rot in Kael, so I could snag some for free if I just sit at the entrance and wait?
Note that the Thurgadin armor set looks exactly the same as Crystal Chitin armor. That might influence your decision-making. Rotting armor is exceedingly rare--even when not needed, most groups/raids will pick up excess pieces for MQ'ing later. You can't just waltz into the areas where that stuff drops anyhow because see-invisible giants will be blocking your path and you aren't high enough a level to hope for lull to reliably land. Pick-up groups go in on occasion, getting it that way or with friends might be your best bet if you don't want to buy MQ's.

Danth
Old 07-05-2020, 03:18 PM
Aviak

It is very rare that pieces rot, because typically people are there for loot.

Most pieces are exceptionally cheap to purchase except for the bp and legs.

I suggest joining a plate house group, or sometimes there are small groups at the 4way.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasgul [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is very rare that pieces rot, because typically people are there for loot.

Most pieces are exceptionally cheap to purchase except for the bp and legs.

I suggest joining a plate house group, or sometimes there are small groups at the 4way.
Can you get the bp or legs from Plate House mobs?
Old 07-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Can you get the bp or legs from Plate House mobs?
Yes. Insofar as I know any monster which can drop corroded armor pieces can drop any of the pieces. I obtained my own in there, years ago. The "plate house" is by far the quickest reliable means of obtaining corroded plate.
Closed Thread