Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 04-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Outside of guards or certain other NPCs, it's safe to assume that most things you kill will be +1 or +2 faction...sometimes up to +5 but that's somewhat rare.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grab your druid a mage pet Brazier_of_Elemental_Summoning to give 'em a leg up and go to town with melee! You should be able to keep the pet alive for a good grind session and knock out a decent amount of faction hits.

Or yeah, wait a handful of levels for a decent pbae and wreck the place for 2-3 hours one night when it's empty.

-Mcoy
See I like to hear that - when it's empty. Not when people are there leveling.

I don't remember how long it took me to farm the kobolds when I last did it for faction but it was so slow. Not sure I want to bother again.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
See I like to hear that - when it's empty. Not when people are there leveling.

I don't remember how long it took me to farm the kobolds when I last did it for faction but it was so slow. Not sure I want to bother again.
It’s the third character I’m doing it for. Guard plat is tempting.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Outside of guards or certain other NPCs, it's safe to assume that most things you kill will be +1 or +2 faction...sometimes up to +5 but that's somewhat rare.
So Lucan really is only -5 or so and not a -1000 faction bomb?
Old 04-25-2022, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Damn "certain other NPC's" doesn't inform you well enough?

Well known mega faction quest mobs are generally correct in the wiki as mentioned multiple times in this thread.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn "certain other NPC's" doesn't inform you well enough?

Well known mega faction quest mobs are generally correct in the wiki as mentioned multiple times in this thread.
I figured Lucan doesn’t qualify as a “certain other NPC?” Duh?
Old 04-25-2022, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So Lucan really is only -5 or so and not a -1000 faction bomb?
I think you are missing the point.

There are well known NPC's in P99 who give large faction hits. They are easy to spot and easy to test because you can see your faction shift after a single kill. On top of that, these well known NPC's are popular targets to kill, so we inadvertently get tons of data on their faction adjustments. This means it is more likely that some random player updates the wiki, simply due to the number of players killing this specific NPC. Sir Lucan is one of those popular targets. It is already well known that he is a faction bomb, and most likely the wiki number is correct, because it is fairly easy to test. You can simply tank your Paladin faction to "cannot possibly get any worse", kill him, and then see how much the Paladins like you afterwards.

That said, the majority of NPC's in P99 do not get farmed incessantly. Even ones that do may not have faction that is easy to adjust. This means that it is difficult to test the faction hits for most mobs, because the method for testing is simply too time consuming. Most people will not bother to figure out exactly how much faction an NPC adjusts per kill, and thus the wiki will rarely get updated for those mobs.

Here is why testing faction is time consuming for most NPC's. To test faction, you generally want to get to something like indifferent first. This can already be a huge hurtle if you are low on faction to begin with. Or on the opposite end, you probably don't want to tank faction you already have gotten high up, just for testing. Once you do get to indifferent, you need to count how many kills it takes to go from indifferent to apprehensive, or amiable. You want to test at indifferent because the number of faction points needed to get to apprehensive or amiable is small, so it is harder to lose track. But the combined effort of getting to indifferent first, and then counting kills, is generally too much work for most people for most mobs.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 04-25-2022 at 05:40 PM..
Old 04-26-2022, 10:08 PM
Kobold

Clear the whole zone and those named ones. If you’re not an AE class from max kos takes probably 6-8 hours
Old 04-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Well I hit Amiable and got my key, so time to plough the Paineel guards for the next 30 levels on my Druid.

But now I know not to bother with camping Smithy or Foodmaster for rep, better off to just do wholesale slaughter on all the trash near the entrance.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Loadsamoney, you ask the widest array of the best questions on these boards.