Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-25-2022, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you should be able to swing that without too much effort. Probably less effort than re-leveling 1-50. Start reaching out to some guilds, see if they are interested in selling you the books, and maybe even a kill team. Guilds like money.
I have almost the 20k on my ranger so I can probably afford it. But I want to know from someone more informed than myself if the Miragul head/robe can be MQ'd (I.E turned into Inte Akera by someone else, and the pally can still get Fiery Avenger).
Old 04-26-2022, 04:45 AM
Fire Giant

I agree with everyone else! If it sounds fun do it!
Old 04-26-2022, 06:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still want to get at least Fiery Avenger on my Dwarf Pally, but one, it's hard finding someone selling a Book of Scale, and two, I don't know if I can get a group together to go kill Miragul.

He's on a 7-day timer, and for all I know he could be constantly tagged the second he goes up. And I'm not sure if his head/robe can be MQ'd.
I don't know about blue,but on green miragul is usually up for hours after it spawns.

Any raiding guild can get you the books
Old 04-26-2022, 11:46 AM
Fire Giant

I made a High Elf Pally based on how cool the Natures Defender looks and how accessible it was. At level 60 I absolutely regret my race decision and would have gone with pretty much anything else.

It is difficult to max strength and stamina on a high elf, and as was previously mentioned the extra wisdom isn’t usually going to make or break a situation. You are also almost never going to be a healer in group play. A Deepwater BP can do a decent job of recovering and is amazing for solo, but it is better in a duo or trio than a full group.

High Elf is definitely the min max choice, and the charisma is nice for lulls, but your starting tanking stats are really bad. If I decided to gear my pally more maybe I’d feel differently, but it’s a significant investment you’ll have to make.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

Well, if I eventually go for it, I would do it by buying a full set of Tigeraptor armor for my Ranger (5k for a full set shouldn't be too bad), then his gear could go towards the new Paladin, mostly Crystal Chitin with Silver Chitin wristbands, and a couple items from my Dwarf Pally.

The only concern is the low starting strength, and I'm superstitious about starting below 75 with any primary stat, so I'd probably use my bonus points to get both Str and Sta up to 75, and my base Dex up to 75 too, just to shore up the High Elf's starting weaknesses.

I'm actually considering Half Elf too, but that butthole Wisdom score is very offputting. Why do Half-Elves have such crap Wisdom to begin with? And why does every caster/hybrid class they can play, excluding Bard, use Wisdom as its primary mana stat, while their decent 75 Int gets wasted?
Old 04-26-2022, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do Half-Elves have such crap Wisdom to begin with?
Apparently in-game they're supposed to have a tendency towards rash and impulsive behavior, reflected by their low wisdom score. There's also apparently bigotry against them, hence why none of the churches will ordain them as clerics. It's a hard life being a half-elf, I guess.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently in-game they're supposed to have a tendency towards rash and impulsive behavior, reflected by their low wisdom score. There's also apparently bigotry against them, hence why none of the churches will ordain them as clerics. It's a hard life being a half-elf, I guess.
High Elf seems the clear pick then.

If you tally up their starting stats vs Dwarf Pally, they actually have higher stats overall than Dwarf, 572 vs 558. So I think there would be enough separation between HE Pally vs Dwarf Pally to make it interesting.

Wouldn't be for a while though, not until I level up my Druid to at least 44, preferably to 46 and complete the Epic. As opposed to Ranger, Druid Epic is actually one that I feel confident about being able to finish, even if I have to MQ it, since the running around aspect is so easy for Druids with their porting.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 04-26-2022 at 03:05 PM..
Old 04-26-2022, 03:34 PM
Sarnak

A suggestion would be to go more on the lull-side with heavy investment into charisma. With the glamour sword clicky a high elf that went full cha doesn’t really need any charisma gear and can comfortably invest in strong melee gear. A dwarf even with full cha will probably want some cha pieces on switch for lulls and without pts into cha it’s probably not worth bothering unless maybe you have godly gear.

HE is the superior choice in my view, good wisdom too. That said, female dwarfs are the coolest.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

High Elf is 35 less strength and 25 less stamina than a dwarf at the loss of 12 Wisdom and 35 charisma. Starting with 65 strength and 70 stamina is really rough and makes it very difficult to max even when fully buffed.

Also, I understand the appeal of the charisma from a lull perspective and it def contributed to me rolling a high elf. However, you use basic root until you get Enstill at 54. If you are dungeon crawling before lvl 54 you don’t really want to try to lull a room with more than 3 mobs in it because a Crit resist is going to mean you will have a hard time rooting and camping it all off in the 48 seconds root lasts. Sure some dungeons you have a zone line near by, but with no Feign Death or gate it’s a tough situation. If you are really twinked taking 3 mobs isn’t so bad up until a point, but there is definitely some levels between when that happens and before you get Enstill that will limit what you can do. I solo’d all the way to 60 and enjoyed it, but something to consider if this is a second pally and your first isn’t 60.

High Elf no doubt the min/max choice, but I would go Dwarf if you aren’t expecting to get to lvl 60 or a lot of raid gear.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High Elf is 35 less strength and 25 less stamina than a dwarf at the loss of 12 Wisdom and 35 charisma. Starting with 65 strength and 70 stamina is really rough and makes it very difficult to max even when fully buffed.

Also, I understand the appeal of the charisma from a lull perspective and it def contributed to me rolling a high elf. However, you use basic root until you get Enstill at 54. If you are dungeon crawling before lvl 54 you don’t really want to try to lull a room with more than 3 mobs in it because a Crit resist is going to mean you will have a hard time rooting and camping it all off in the 48 seconds root lasts. Sure some dungeons you have a zone line near by, but with no Feign Death or gate it’s a tough situation. If you are really twinked taking 3 mobs isn’t so bad up until a point, but there is definitely some levels between when that happens and before you get Enstill that will limit what you can do. I solo’d all the way to 60 and enjoyed it, but something to consider if this is a second pally and your first isn’t 60.

High Elf no doubt the min/max choice, but I would go Dwarf if you aren’t expecting to get to lvl 60 or a lot of raid gear.
I already have a 51 Dwarf Pally, that's what the point of this thread was, because I'm considering a second pally, and it would for sure be High Elf. I just wanted to inquire about the redundancy of making a duplicate class.

But the enjoyment factor aside, I think there's enough difference between a Brelldwarf Pally and a TunareHE Pally to make it an interesting ride.