Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Default Thinking Monk, Will I be nerfed I DONT do Ikky?

So Ive finally got some time to get back into the game again for a while at least for a few months anyway. Figured I would just start over now that Kunark is out and there is a lot more items to twink etc.

Since Ive got a little money, I figured Id try a melee class. Leaning towards Monk at the moment but I don't really like the idea of being an evil race and having to worry about being KOS to random NPCs all over etc. But if I don't go Ikky, will I be taking a huge nerf? Like how much of a difference is there really between Human and Ikky?

PS: Also, is it true that the amount of Monks on the server is absurd, and that I will prob hardly ever get a group because there is just always so many already sitting in LFG?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVolaju [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PS: Also, is it true that the amount of Monks on the server is absurd, and that I will prob hardly ever get a group because there is just always so many already sitting in LFG?
Monks are a dime a dozen it seems, but everyone loves them in a group for pulling and their limitless dps (compared with a wizard who has to stop to med for example).

Not sure what its like at the top end (50+), but further back I rarely see a monk struggling to group. As for the iksar vs human issue, I've never played one to know :P
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Fire Giant

First, let me address the who idea of there being too many monks. There are a ton of fucking monks, no doubt about it. However, a competent monk who actually knows what they're doing is worth their weight in gold and if you get a reputation for knowing your class finding a group or guild will be absolutely no problem. If you want to be DPS, make a rogue. If you want to be a puller, which in a raid setting is essentially the same role as a quasi-raid leader, then roll a monk. To a monk, the role of DPS is secondary.

As far as human or iksar - I rolled a human before iksars were playable so I didn't really have a choice. However, if I were in your shoes I'd probably make a human again. If you're a min/max type of player, you should roll an iksar because based purely on statistics and abilities, they are superior. I personally feel at the end game the difference is minuscule, but I'm sure there is someone out there that would disagree with me. I played a human monk for years on live and have played one for well over a year here and have never had a problem overcoming my human inferiority.

I know it is a generic statement, but play what you want to play and what you think will be fun. Just know that as a monk if you're idea of a good time is sitting in camp and DPSing, you might have a hard time when you reach the level of gaming where your peers have certain expectations based on your class that exceed the role of simple DPSing.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First, let me address the who idea of there being too many monks. There are a ton of fucking monks, no doubt about it. However, a competent monk who actually knows what they're doing is worth their weight in gold and if you get a reputation for knowing your class finding a group or guild will be absolutely no problem. If you want to be DPS, make a rogue. If you want to be a puller, which in a raid setting is essentially the same role as a quasi-raid leader, then roll a monk. To a monk, the role of DPS is secondary.

As far as human or iksar - I rolled a human before iksars were playable so I didn't really have a choice. However, if I were in your shoes I'd probably make a human again. If you're a min/max type of player, you should roll an iksar because based purely on statistics and abilities, they are superior. I personally feel at the end game the difference is minuscule, but I'm sure there is someone out there that would disagree with me. I played a human monk for years on live and have played one for well over a year here and have never had a problem overcoming my human inferiority.

I know it is a generic statement, but play what you want to play and what you think will be fun. Just know that as a monk if you're idea of a good time is sitting in camp and DPSing, you might have a hard time when you reach the level of gaming where your peers have certain expectations based on your class that exceed the role of simple DPSing.

Yeah I see what your saying, Ive been thinking about Rogue also however apparently they cant solo at all. I plan on grouping most of the time but when I cant find a group I dont really know what else Id be doing if I can't solo lol. The main reason why I was thinking Monk over Rogue was because they are able to solo a bit.

However, I am not a min/max player at all, and honestly I am not even sure Ill get to lvl 60 in the next few months, so end game content isn't even really a concern to me. I mainly just want a high dps class that I can twink out a bit and have a good time grouping w/ people while leveling up.

After reading a bit through the forums it just sounded like Monks were #1 DPS, could solo well and could even tank a bit. But yeah the idea of them being over populated + having a lot more responsibility then just high DPS is kind of a turn off also =/.

Ughh, FML. Not sure what to do lol.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

/agree. If you don't plan on learning to pull etc don't roll a monk. You would be fine for the first 20 lvls or so, but then when it comes to grouping a lil harder content you will most definitely be looked to for splitting for the group. And if you are unable to/choose not to do that, you will get that rep and loose the ability to find groups very quickly.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorX007 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/agree. If you don't plan on learning to pull etc don't roll a monk. You would be fine for the first 20 lvls or so, but then when it comes to grouping a lil harder content you will most definitely be looked to for splitting for the group. And if you are unable to/choose not to do that, you will get that rep and loose the ability to find groups very quickly.
Yeah, bleh... Thats the only melee class that can solo decently though right? What about Rangers, lol?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Planar Protector

well, on live i lvld a monk, and loved it, was a human

on here after lvling a iksar, was fun and all, but iksar monks have a -40 exp penalty, and usally i dont play evil classes, because most of all the areas for boats, you cant use them unless you have a invis on yer self

but if you were to choose which race, id say look at the pros and the cons, a iksar shaman is great, but i think a human monk is better, its yer choice, and remember to have fun
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Planar Protector

Monks are the shit. Doesn't really matter if they're too many of them on the server, the class is broken in classic. FD is priceless and has a short cooldown for monks.

Iksar is probably the better race. I like humans though just because you don't need to grind out a shit ton of rep then.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like humans though just because you don't need to grind out a shit ton of rep then.
never heard that on EQ.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Kobold

Yeah, there are a lot of monks on the server, but I think how many is a little exaggerated. I actually had a harder time finding groups at a lower level as a shaman. Nine times out of ten i'll get a group after the first call out that i'm LFG.

You really only need one healer, one tank, one crowd control, but you need more than one dps class and dps that doesn't use mana and can instantly drop aggro is pretty nice to have around.

As far as human vs iksar goes...

The regen and ac is very nice, no doubt. I solo a lot and the regen helps with my downtime. Everything else being equal an iksar will kill more things faster than a human monk in the same amount of time (due to less downtime from regen and higher ac). The question is - does the experience penalty equal things out with the human or make the human actually faster to level solo (since they have to kill less to level).

It's 20% (human) vs 44% (iksar), that seems pretty significant and they don't have to fix faction.
Last edited by Numbers_; 06-04-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Closed Thread