Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Kobold

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all of your responses.

The consensus seems to be pretty much rogue or wizard based on the responses.

Despite all the hilarious stick em in the bum responses for a rogue, I am gonna try my hand at a wizard simply because I have some half decent caster gear collecting dust and have nothing in terms of rogue gear.

I understand that this means the role will become slightly more complicated than a rogue would be but I'm okay with it being a little technical to play well. Going with a Solusek Ro worshipping dark elf for cool points and probably decent cultural wizard gear options. Please feel free to let me know if you think this is a good or bad choice. Input is always appreciated.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

I'll be honest, the only groups I tend to find on my wizard are ones where someone invites me to port them somewhere. No xp groups!

Then again, I suppose exclusively porting other people to their xp groups is kind of a specific group role [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

In the rare occasions where you do find a group, being a wizard is easy as people have very low expectations. Drop a nuke when a mob is around 50% hp and you're set.

That said, wizards can be really useful in groups (rooting the tanks target to help him keep aggro, interrupting NPC casts with stun, using longer duration stuns for all sorts of things, casting snares, helping offpark adds with roots), but people don't expect it. They just appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll be honest, the only groups I tend to find on my wizard are ones where someone invites me to port them somewhere. No xp groups!

Then again, I suppose exclusively porting other people to their xp groups is kind of a specific group role [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

In the rare occasions where you do find a group, being a wizard is easy as people have very low expectations. Drop a nuke when a mob is around 50% hp and you're set.

That said, wizards can be really useful in groups (rooting the tanks target to help him keep aggro, interrupting NPC casts with stun, using longer duration stuns for all sorts of things, casting snares, helping offpark adds with roots), but people don't expect it. They just appreciate it.
Haha true. Ports are always nice for sure!

I get that wizards aren't that welcome in XP groups but I have a few RL friends and some guildies I group with pretty regularly so I'm not too worried about the not being super welcome part. When they aren't around I can just work on solo stuff. That said, I will be sure I learn the class well enough to contribute more than just with nukes. I'm okay with the bar being set low, just makes it easier to shine. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Orc

go rogue, dont have to worry about buying spells. just food and drink and your good to go.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Get a Crown of Rile and you don't really need the food and water, either.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Sarnak

Go rogue op its not too late.
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

I tend to think that people who stick with their wizard to level 60 are often strong personalities and/or fun/interesting to be around.

It's not an easy class as you are a bit of an outcast and your toolbox is pretty small.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Kobold

Update: the wizard ended up not being for me. Still have no gear for testing rogue so I rolled a mage instead and it seems to be what I'm looking for. Unless the mage role drastically changes as I get higher in levels I think it's the winner.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Fire Giant

Cleric is incredibly straightforward. It's just like Wizard or Mage, but you're healing people instead of doing damage. Cleric is pretty relaxing in groups because you just save butts.. no real thinking involved.. person taking damage -> heal them.

If the group comp is solid, you really won't have to do anything except heal the tank every once in a while. Super easy.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

The only thing about rogue is you are 100% group reliant, you can sit for hours lfg or finally get a tell asking to join a group thats going to take a dangerous hour long journey to get to. ( not always but it can happen )

At least with a wizard you can solo while lfg, its been a while since ive been gone but leveling up to 37 i could find groups fairly regularly as long as you make a name for yourself its not that bad. If you just sit and med through 3 mobs for 1 nuke to finish off a mob at 30% health when your nuke would have finished it at 50% your group wont be impressed.

Running around temp staffing mobs and doing some root cc. stunning casters at the right time and talking to people! people will invite you if they like you regardless of class.

lfg wizard at zone in isnt a bad partner for another lfg casters, enc shm etc. starts off as a good duo that can turn into a group. oh yeah make your own groups :P

LOVE rogue but being so group reliant is the worst thing for me, I would group over solo everytime but having that option is nice for when you only have an hour to play or so.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Closed Thread