Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-05-2023, 09:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default research training

when is the best time to train research at the trainer? i always just did it first thing which gets you like level 20 ish iirc .

is it even an option to wait untill say 150+ to train at the guildmaster?
Old 03-05-2023, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

I mean, your question is basically "when should I use this almost useless thing (training points) to buy this other almost useless thing (Research skill)", and the real answer is ... it doesn't matter, it's all useless [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Spend them whenever.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:15 AM
Sarnak

I think I burned like 6k a few years ago to train up Disarm. didnt even get to 150 skill. good luck
Old 03-06-2023, 04:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, your question is basically "when should I use this almost useless thing (training points) to buy this other almost useless thing (Research skill)", and the real answer is ... it doesn't matter, it's all useless [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Spend them whenever.
research is really important to get a handfull of spells, spells you can only get from the skill. also a very tricky skill to level up
Old 03-06-2023, 06:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajeeem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
when is the best time to train research at the trainer? i always just did it first thing which gets you like level 20 ish iirc .

is it even an option to wait untill say 150+ to train at the guildmaster?
I don't believe you can wait to train it and have it be higher. No one does research like an actual tradeskill by doing combines to level up. Just train it at the trainer every time you level put 5 point into it to keep it up with your level. It gets expensive past 100 skill but you can probably stop around 120 anyways and be able to brute force combine anything at that point. The alternative is to tip others to do the combines for you.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 03-06-2023, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajeeem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
research is really important to get a handfull of spells, spells you can only get from the skill. also a very tricky skill to level up
What spells can't you just buy in the EC tunnel (far more easily)?

Personally, I wasted a ton on getting my Mage's research up, and I did use it for a few pet spells in Green's early days ... but at this point, it really feels more like a vanity skill than a necessity.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Personally, I wasted a ton on getting my Mage's research up, and I did use it for a few pet spells in Green's early days ... but at this point, it really feels more like a vanity skill than a necessity.
well theres only like two people that sell mage pets on green and they are in the 500+ plat range for level 34s. not bad for a vet player with extra cash on a 4 year old museum server. but deterring for a new player
Old 03-07-2023, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
It’s maybe cheaper to train than buy ice comet (the Vox drop). It’s definitely quicker than finding one for sale.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s maybe cheaper to train than buy ice comet (the Vox drop). It’s definitely quicker than finding one for sale.
Yes. I went this route exactly, and it cost me 1400 or so to max out Research at 170, and made Ice Comet. I did it at 49
Old 07-05-2023, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Research is not a skill that takes level learned as a bonus
there is no benefit to waiting to train that particular skill since it uses a different formula then most in the game
Train it to max every opportunity you can up to level 50 using a trainer since it's also one of the few that let you do that as well. Research is actually fun for me I like collecting the items and making copies of everything for the four caster classes.