Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 04-18-2023, 02:00 PM
Kobold

Default Bard Instrument Modifier Question

Hi all,

Just trying to calculate how instrument modifiers work for bard songs. I feel as though I remember that an instrument with a mod of say 23 (Walrus Skin Drum) add 230% to the power of the song? Like if I used Tuyen's Chant of Frost at level 60, which according to the wiki does 31 damage per tick would it increase to ~71 per tick? Similarly, would hymn of restoration go from 13 healing per tick to 29 per tick using a 22 instrument (Lute of the Howler)- rounded up from 28.6.

Trying to find how much a full round of dots would do. I also can't remember for dots to get full damage if they must be fleeing, or snared, or rooted or whatever.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Fire Giant

Hello! I'm new to barding myself, but my understanding of instrument mods is what you described. I believe that's correct!

It's also my understanding that the mods don't work on mana regen, haste, or slow component of songs.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello! I'm new to barding myself, but my understanding of instrument mods is what you described. I believe that's correct!

It's also my understanding that the mods don't work on mana regen, haste, or slow component of songs.
That's correct, I haven't checked the rounding behavior though. Faction song also isn't modified. Several songs that don't have any obvious way to scale with a modifier don't seem to be effected by instruments either. AFAIK instruments do not affect the duration of any song.

Forward runspeed is capped at about 256%, which is short of the 269% drums of the beast selos would give you or the 282% puretone would.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trying to find how much a full round of dots would do. I also can't remember for dots to get full damage if they must be fleeing, or snared, or rooted or whatever.
They have to be stationary or feared for full dot damage. Not sure about blind. Otherwise they take 66% damage. This is an era mechanic, starting September 1999 and extending the rest of our timeline.

If you root a moving mob you have to take a round of melee to get it recognized as stationary (p99 bug). I haven't checked for that bug on feared mobs; it would be worth checking yourself if you are going to do a lot of fearing.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:28 PM
Kobold

Very interesting. Thank you both for the information. I didn't figure that the haste or slows would be affected (although I don't know why). So drum dotting a mob my charm pet is fighting would only be taking the 66% of damage, as I am assuming they're not considered stationary.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

I actually never knew this. I just went by "bigger number moar gud."
Old 04-19-2023, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very interesting. Thank you both for the information. I didn't figure that the haste or slows would be affected (although I don't know why). So drum dotting a mob my charm pet is fighting would only be taking the 66% of damage, as I am assuming they're not considered stationary.
Incorrect assumption. You’re getting full damage dots when mobs are meleeing each other. So swapping pets while loading them up with drum chant dots is how bards can shred through mobs while charming. You have to cycle pets to reset aggro if ya keep recharming the same one you’ll have one stick to you. Only time when ya want to not swap is when killing a Named to keep recharming your pet while healing yourself. Or if your pet is really low and losing just recharm it and drop some fears or take hits to get the other one down. There’s a YouTube video of glitchers bard doing this against an hs named.

There’s also a google spreadsheet out there that you can plug in the instrument mod and your level and you can see what everything does. I posted it on the other thread here about bard melee today. Or just google p99 bard songs per level spreadsheet.
Last edited by Crede; 04-19-2023 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-19-2023, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Instrument modifiers (including Singing mod on epic) do:
- Increase haste values
- Increase slow values (up to a cap)
- Increase snare values (up to a cap)
- Increase HP regen values
- Increase mana value for mana adders (lvl 20 and lvl 32 songs) but NOT the level 55 song. Instruments only modify the HP regen for Cantata.
- Increase all raw stats and resists values granted or debuffed by songs
- Increases faction mod amount, up to an unknown cap
- Increase damage for both DD and DoTs

Instrument mods do NOT:
- Increase mez duration or reduce resist chance. The lvl 28 mez has a -MR component so this would be modified by instruments and would reduce resists after the first application, but the instrument mod does not strictly make it easier to land.
- Increase charm duration or reduce resist chance
- Increase duration of any songs, offensive or defensive
- Alter number of effects dispelled (dispel counters)
- Change distance travelled by Shadowstep-type spells
- Increase stun duration (lvl 55, 56, and 59 songs)
- Increase mana regen from Cantata, see above

Things I'm unsure on:
- Rune values from eg Shield of Song
- Mana drain value from some songs. Some use a flat -mana component, others use a mana-DoT. Given the logic applied to Cantata vs Chorus, I'd assume it affects the lvl 35 song (flat -mana) but not lvl 57 (mana DoT)
- Hate modifier on Song of Dawn
Old 04-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Kobold

Man you guys rock! Crede, thanks for clearing that up. That spreadsheet is pretty great. Also, Nyclin, thanks for the detailed write up. Exactly what I needed! Appreciate it both of you.
Old 04-19-2023, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Instrument modifiers (including Singing mod on epic) do:
- Increase haste values
- Increase slow values (up to a cap)
- Increase mana value for mana adders (lvl 20 and lvl 32 songs) but NOT the level 55 song. Instruments only modify the HP regen for Cantata.
- Increases faction mod amount, up to an unknown cap
Unfortunately not[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]