Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except that the puppy...was a dog. But the industry my friends...that was a revolution.
I think Zuranthiam should try to use the puppy / puppy book analogy and apply it to project 1999 and training. "You see..... the puppy was like a train .... and the little boy (the playerbase) was lost..... in lower guk"
Old 09-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

me understanD whEre OP is ComIng froM buT beTtEr to PnP MaKe foaR hEAlthiEr coMmuniTy
MaYbE neXt pVp sRv wuT u looKn fKr to b baDelf
Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your server had it. EVERY server did. Facts.
Which is more likely...

A) you having played on every server during the first year so you know definitively that this was the case and you are not just projecting your own experience playing on what must have been an absolute shitshow of a server to play on,

B) you are Brad McQuaid or Gordon Wrinn himself, or

C) rules for the servers were handled differently by each Lead GM assigned to them, the best practices and lessons learned from each were used to develop the eventual PNP, so your experience during Year 1 was different than players not from your Live server, and therefore it is completely classic to have the devs here minimize sociopathic behavior in the best interests of fostering a healthy community.

You can keep being pedantic and twist my words, but the fact remains that if the ruleset was truly wild west "might makes right" in terms of killstealing or campstealing on Xegony for the first X number of months after release, I would not have put up with that shit and I would not have kept playing the first time I was camping an item with a group and some other group came in and pushed us out. Maybe GM Vedan was more hands on than your GM?

Unless you were a lead GM and you just let all the players fend for themselves on your server since that seems to be your predisposition. What server?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 09-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Sarnak

If we are just shouting out anecdotal shit here, I played on Veeshan where we would see Brad himself running around on his ranger, and we did lists for everything. I spent about 3 days waiting for my spot for my fbss. Sure the list was player based, but those were very different tomes on the internet.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I was interested in changing my mind I'd read a book. I'm here to rub someone's face in my fucking opinion.
Carry on, then.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Banned

ShoulD elF maiL bRad for official ruLing IMO
Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
me understanD whEre OP is ComIng froM buT beTtEr to PnP MaKe foaR hEAlthiEr coMmuniTy
MaYbE neXt pVp sRv wuT u looKn fKr to b baDelf
Totally! I want to follow OP's line of thought about forging narratives. You spend days tracking down an infamous monster, holder of an artifact of great power. You break into his dungeon residence by brute force, slaying his minions in a challenge for him to face you personally. Just as you are about to engage the foul creature a stranger appears; unexpected assistance arrives!

The monster is slain, but to your horror you discover your 'helper' wants to keep the artifact to herself. You try to negotiate a fair way to resolve ownership of the item, but she won't play dice and she villainously takes what you worked so far.

Do you let her get away with it? No! You fight her for the right to the item, whether she consents or not.

Competition is a fine way to play Everquest, but it needs to be taken to its logical conclusion. PVE is explicitly players united against environment. Its about team work and sharing. It lends itself to the narratives of open raiding; adventurers joining together to overcome a common foe. Pvp is for more aggressive, competitive play. A horror survival world full of monsters and opportunists where you must watch your back because true alliances are not easy to come by.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Fire Giant

I support the OP and this thread. As some one who hasn't played on P99 in years, I was shocked by this new, custom ruleset. In my opinion, it's more of a customization than DBG's live servers /picks where you can spawn instances.

Giving some one the loot, guaranteed, despite whomever kills it just sounds like a really bad thought out idea.

So you're the minimum level, pass the AFK checks... You get to roll up on a full groups camp and just start beating on their mobs to take their loot when it's your turn?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 AM
Fire Giant

OP ain’t shit. Who cares? Guise gonna drop for like 7 months then rip.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 AM
Kobold

If I was trying to secure the classic experience running this, I'd be making changes to loot tables. Stick manastone on a completely different mob somewhere, or start the server with all the famous nerfed items in their post-nerf forms and buff rare drops that people usually don't care much about.

That'd be a whole new nightmare of course, but it'd be fun to pull off.
Hafthor: Dwarf Cleric (NEW: Try GREEN Hafthor!)
Tsukiko: Human Monk
Burzma: Troll Shaman
Closed Thread