Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Sarnak

I'm sad they got Stallman. It was only a matter of time, though.

The guy is very famous for his black & white thinking and ascribing a lot of importance to using the correct word to convey a specific meaning. Gone from a lot of his thinking is intent and emotion behind word choices, which is part of the reason as to why he comes off as a creep to a lot of women. (Lack of emotional empathy + high sex drive = creepiness + a couple of balancing constants.)

As someone who is also somewhat neuroatypical it's only a matter of time before I use the wrong word or misread a signal and then 'they' will come for me, too - to hang my job and my positions as a trophy on the wall in some imaginary struggle against Patriarchy, or something. Hell if I know. The difference is that I'm not planning to roll over and "wish there was some way to fix the misunderstanding."
Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone who is also somewhat neuroatypical it's only a matter of time before I use the wrong word or misread a signal and then 'they' will come for me, too
Maybe don't use your autism to try to justify taking terrible positions like a 17-year-old sex trafficking victim was really just a prostitute or maybe a gold digger and people probably won't think that you're a piece of shit. Lack of emotional empathy indeed.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sad they got Stallman. It was only a matter of time, though.

The guy is very famous for his black & white thinking and ascribing a lot of importance to using the correct word to convey a specific meaning. Gone from a lot of his thinking is intent and emotion behind word choices, which is part of the reason as to why he comes off as a creep to a lot of women. (Lack of emotional empathy + high sex drive = creepiness + a couple of balancing constants.)

As someone who is also somewhat neuroatypical it's only a matter of time before I use the wrong word or misread a signal and then 'they' will come for me, too - to hang my job and my positions as a trophy on the wall in some imaginary struggle against Patriarchy, or something. Hell if I know. The difference is that I'm not planning to roll over and "wish there was some way to fix the misunderstanding."
Hey there neurotypical. How often do you have this fantasy of a final confrontation with the civil rights activists?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
As someone who is also somewhat neuroatypical it's only a matter of time before I use the wrong word or misread a signal and then 'they' will come for me, too - to hang my job and my positions as a trophy on the wall in some imaginary struggle against Patriarchy, or something.
Well, I'll say this: that's definitely not a typical (and also, I'd argue, not rational) fear.

In the real world autistics and other atypical people don't get hired without the company knowing they're a little off. If they use the wrong word and offend people (something neurotypical people do too), people don't just jump to "they're evil!", they usually think "oh that's Bob, he's just weird like that". If they truly do get offended, they (or your boss in a worst case scenario) will explain the issue to you, you'll have a chance to apologize and explain you didn't mean tot offend, and life goes on.

So in feeling like you're one wrong word away from life ruination, presumably because of the imaginary "PC Police" in your fantasies ... you definitely count as atypical [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In the real world autistics and other atypical people don't get hired without the company knowing they're a little off. If they use the wrong word and offend people (something neurotypical people do too), people don't just jump to "they're evil!", they usually think "oh that's Bob, he's just weird like that". If they truly do get offended, they (or your boss in a worst case scenario) will explain the issue to you, you'll have a chance to apologize and explain you didn't mean tot offend, and life goes on.
Sure, in person that's the case with me. But we're talking about dumbasses on the internet where text is king and nuance has been burned away because it no longer fits into 280 characters.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

At least we can agree that we're talking about dumbasses.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Stallman, Minsky, Epstein

Hmmmmm, interesting. I wonder if these “people” have anything in common
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sure, in person that's the case with me. But we're talking about dumbasses on the internet where text is king and nuance has been burned away because it no longer fits into 280 characters.
it's called a heart check, newjack
Old 09-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Slow golf clap to whoever got this asshole to openly talk about child rape in such a cavalier manner
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread