Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 PM
Kobold

Default Half Elf Paladin

Hi, I was wanting to get into Project1999 and now that Green/Teal is out, I feel like now is my chance. I really want to be a Half Elf Paladin, and was wondering the pros and cons of it. I heard about the exp penalty, but that's okay! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What deity should I pick? Best place to go to level? Hints and good lowbie items?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Kobold

if you go tunare as a diety you get a sick tunare only 2hander nature's defender thats all gold covered in gems later on. also all the tunare only items.

also high elves look like dorks
Old 11-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Fire Giant

Erollisi Marr is the best choice so you can wear that nice pink armor.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Half Elf has really good avg stats.
GO TUNARE GO TUNARE GO TUNARE

https://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

it's worth it & the quest is not all that hard.
It's basically a 2nd epic weapon come velious.

Edit: If you didn't roll Tunare, Re-roll tunare now.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-08-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Sarnak

Welcome! You couldn't have picked a better time to join.

Tunare is a really solid pick for deity. I highly suggest you read through the p99 wiki page on paladins and google p99 paladin guid for some light reading.

Hope to see you in game.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really want to be a Half Elf Paladin, and was wondering the pros and cons of it. I heard about the exp penalty, but that's okay! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cons:
  • 40% experience penalty. This is shared with your group so people may be less inclined to invite you. However they may have no choice, because you're a tank.
  • Half Elves kinda have poor stats overall. They get some boosts to Agility and Dexterity, but those aren't generally stats that you want to prioritize.
  • General melee problems. You're gear dependent and you tend to rely on groups to accomplish anything.

Pros:
  • You're a tank, and not many people play tanks. Therefore, it should be easy to find groups.
  • You're a hybrid, so your melee problems aren't as bad as say a Warrior's or a Rogue's. You can hold threat on mobs with just your spells, while a Warrior has to rely on specific magical weapons to perform their role in a group. And while Paladins aren't generally a good solo class, your anti-undead spells may allow you to solo undead mobs.
  • There's some cool exclusive gear you can get way later if you choose Tunare as your deity.
  • A lot of people think that Half Elves have the best looking armor graphics, especially plate armor.
  • Playing a Paladin has really cool class fantasy stuff. You get access to some pretty big quests in vanilla EQ like SoulFire and Fiery Avenger that other classes don't really get. The Kunark epics were based on these vanilla Paladin quests.

Maybe:
  • I can't remember if Half Elf Paladins of Tunare can start in Qeynos, but if you can this becomes a pro since it's the best starting area in the game.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*Half Elves kinda have poor stats overall. They get some boosts to Agility and Dexterity, but those aren't generally stats that you want to prioritize.
I strongly disagree. Agi is used in the hidden evasion mechanic that determines when a mob misses you. Dex is used in the proc mechanic to ensure more procs.

Half Elf has excellent average stats.
They have Great CHA which is in high demand for the paladin's lull spells.

A paladin can pull/split mobs so damn good with later lull spells if they have CHA.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-08-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I strongly disagree. Agi is used in the hidden evasion mechanic that determines when a mob misses you. Dex is used in the proc mechanic to ensure more procs.
Yeah I didn't say they were worthless. But Agility and Dexterity play a small role in avoidance and proc rate. Dexterity isn't going to do anything for him until he gets a weapon that procs, which could be never, and Paladins don't rely on their procs like Warriors do. The benefit of Agility is very small once you're above 75.

They're very minor stats. Stamina, Wisdom, and Strength are all much more important, and Dwarves and Humans start with better Strength, Stamina, and Wisdom. High Elves and Erudites start with better Wisdom. Half Elves are definitely a bit below average for Paladin stats, but it's not that significant since Paladins can't be the best races (large races) anyways. Half Elf Paladin is viable, but not optimal.
Last edited by Khorza; 11-08-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Sarnak

Pallies are awesome. We need more tanks. Half elves are sexy average stat race that you can't go wrong with. Pick Tunare! There are only 2 cons IMO. Exp penalty and you aren't picking dwarf.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Paladin race doesn't matter as much as other classes. None of their races have significant special abilities, so pick your favorite fashion. However, as is usual with the typical class/diety hierarchy Paladin starts with Tunare as everyone said.