Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And then there are those extra like 300 people on Teal beyond what Green declined by. Where’d those numbers come from I wonder
Well I met some that found green too crowded so when teal open they went there and are loving it. Don't have to look behind them to see if somebody gonna steal their mobs.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are your thoughts on this issue, Professor? I have yet to hear it.
Lol
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 AM
Planar Protector

If I had time to play at all I'd be excited to be boxing teal and green for double manastones.

Looking forward to the rmt bans on these. Bless staff.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people are on both instead of picking one or the other
Quote:
Many people playing both simultaneously bruh
cd288. are you playing this game? can you post your characters plz. I would like to use them in a data analytics project. thanks you gay for your cooperation.

-Alfredo (server first level 2 druid. server first level 2 halfling. sever first level 2)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 AM
Kobold

why is there such a fuss over mana stones anyways. in the grand scheme of things its whatever
Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Planar Protector

while i wait for your kind response cd288: can you please report, are you or anyone you know playing on both green and teal simultaneously? please submit that information kindly here in this thread with names of characters in both green/teal and i will include it in my study

thank you. i hope all is well
Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Planar Protector

My highest level is level 7....and I mostly keep running from one side of the world to the other doing quests and RPing...

So....seems pretty good to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yesterday Littlebill called a zone wide meeting in the blade fiend room of unrest. He made sure everyone got in a group appropriate for their level. Everyone seemed happy until Littlebill trained the bar! ( On accident of course). Definately not toxic.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Sarnak

I think the reason things become toxic later on is because the number of lower level areas doesn't scale with the number of higher level areas. And then you have places like Permafrost which will never be utilized by groups because it's out in BFE with no fast way to get there. Areas like CT which are death traps.

We go from having access to tons of zones to level in to very very few later on.

The ZEMs and loot spread make little sense later on. LGuk is basically the best and most important zone in the game. Not only does it drop some of the best items in the game currently but it also provides some of the best EXP. I've been thinking a lot lately about this message posted here: https://web.archive.org/web/20010124...s/letter.shtml
Particularly "We can increase the reward of a particular dungeon in two fashions: We can either put in good loot, or we can change the ZEM. The problem with increasing the quality or quantity of loot is that if the loot is good enough, it's more likely to draw people far above the desired level range for the dungeon, making it some place that appropriately leveled folk choose to avoid. The second problem with the ever-increasing quality of loot is inflation: as good loot becomes more widely available, its value and the prestige value from owning it declines."
This practically sums up MMO design in one paragraph and is why I do wish that even though it wouldn't be classic, we could discuss changes to ZEM. Plus it's not like there's any proof of what ZEMs were during classic, that January 2001 post is the first I saw them ever openly mention ZEM, which is post-Velious (would love to see more dialogue from SOE about ZEM if anyone has access to any).

TLDR: Zones like Permafrost and Cazic Thule need double EXP, not Lower Guk. Would like to see each zone looked at on a case by case basis, looking at its design, difficulty, and loot, and try to come up with reasonable ZEM numbers.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

I don't think I agree with atomos.

The big-ticket items tend to be in lguk and solb. But there's actually quite a wide variety of zones needed to fully gear any level 50, ranging from solb and lguk for fbss and GEBs and whatnot to mid-level dungeons like perma and sola to outdoor zones to quest items.

And there really aren't THAT few zones to level in at 45+ than at lower levels. Solb and lguk have stuff for 45-50, but they also have stuff for much lower levels. Perma is like this too, with teens mobs at the entrance but frost giants and the bear pit taking you to 50+. Kedge has a wide range of content. CT has quite a level range. Plenty of outdoor zones have select things you can get to 50 on, even if they don't always have great loot or require faction losses (guards in basically every city, spectres, OOT, random mobs like cyndreela or whatever by fear portal, etc).

Again, imo, this is all just a feature of classic EQ. Just like the exp penalties and the hell levels and the crazy grinding required and the class imbalances. If you approach the game with the expectations of a modern MMO gamer, then you'll be confused by mage research and hybrid penalties and the UI and the way loot and ZEMs are distributed, by the lack of instancing and the minimal amount of "raid" content at 50. Etc.

If you approach it with an open mind, then it certainly will feel odd... but it has a charm to it regardless, and it isn't THAT ridiculous.
Closed Thread