Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can we talk camp etiquette here? Curious to see what peoples' opinions are on this. Both myself and other players over the past week have seen multiple instances of a duo or trio camping a quite popular lower level camp and refusing to either let others join their group or otherwise split the camp. For example, camps in Blackburrow, or the Karana bandits, or EC/WC Orcs.

Now, I know technically per the rules they have to be willing to split the camp. But my question is more about refusing to let people join the group, even if it's non-hybrid classes. What do you guys think about that? Is that acceptable? When I've asked people refusing to let other people join their group they seem like they legitimately don't think it's rude or greedy.
Certainly it is acceptable. Anything should be acceptable. If I have someone on my blacklist, why should I be made to group with him? If I am role playing, why should I be made to group with someone of a peoples I dislike?

If someone refuses to share, then it should also be acceptable to take it regardless. Just because this game has a PK flag, does not mean player conflict should not happen.

Also it is not my experience that people have to be willing to split camps. I was told in no uncertain terms by a GM to clear out of "pond groups" mobs, when I was soloing there in Mistmoore. Never said a word to them or answered their whining tells. I spoke to the GM--but didn't work out so well. I was accustomed to the Everquest I had played, where people generally soloed mobs at the entrance to zones. But there are hard and fast lines for what is a camp on Project '99, and so you may be mistaken. Of certain camps, there is no sharing.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they are holding a camp they broke and pulling as soon as a mob pops, that's their camp, whether it's one person or a full group. Not trying to be a jerk, but that's how camps have always worked.
Ha ha, always worked on where? Project '99? You need to be careful. In '99 there was hardly such a thing as a camp. Whoever did the most damage got the experience and loot. GMs told players to work things out themselves, or simply did not involve themselves. For all that, repeated killstealing, I think, was against the rules, and so who attacked the mob first had it. If a camp broke into killstealing, the GMs intervened, but only to force players to work things out themselves. There is an account from November of that year of two GMs, one of them the head of the server, repeatedly killing mobs at a camp for an hour till players reached an agreement among themselves. Project '99 chose to define camps, but old Everquest did not. Eventually there was a Play Nice Policy, and players were required to share resources. Not too different from the old policies, except it permitted GMs at once to make a "binding compromise", as the policy puts it. This was sharing still, or should have been. Before this it was generally true that GMs did not tell players what they had to do, but told them to work it out themselves.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Banned

Yeah, we're super not interested in your "30 years of gaming" and "I played in '99" stories. You didn't get issued silver watches or someone to give a fuck about your pointless opinions on ancient vidya.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Kobold

Had a very interesting repeated encounter here on Green in Blackburrow tonight. My group and I formed on the Bridge and made the general area a camp, as it was just us in that area (surprising I know, but it was in the dead of night). For two hours, more and more folks came and we invited them to the group until we had room for two more. We camped the area uncontested, as it was just us, but then:

The first individual who didn't want to join our group said they were "Semi-AFK" as their reason for declining. They then started pulling mobs as they spawned at the fringe area of our camping area. I told them they were welcome to join the group and remain "Semi-AFK" so that we'd at least share experience and not have to wrestle over each other for pulls. He declined and left the area after he pulled a few more.

The second individual came and, just as we were pulling a mob, rushed in and started attacking it. When we finished killing it, they gave a "..." response and acted angry and upset; I informed them they were in the middle of our camp and that was a mob in our camp we were killing. They got extremely exclamatory, claiming we "can't just make a camp wherever we feel like" and told them the area was a valid enough camp and was prior uncontested for hours before, and even fine by other people in other camps in the zone (and those soloing mobs in between camping areas). They still angrily rebuked and, when I offered them an invite, they said they didn't want to join the group because they're...at work..? I told them they're still welcome to join the group and be "Semi-AFK" to do what they'd like, for the same reasons as before, but they went into a circular argument about camp lines and cited to me that I should read the rules. They ran off somewhere and weren't seen again afterwards.

The third was someone who "had lunch in 15" and, when I told them they'd be fine to join and leave when they wanted and be as active as they felt, they turned it down and quietly kept pulling mobs from our questing area. They left before 15 minutes.

What the hell is up with people? Literally bending over backwards, offering people a spot in a group to share experience and take turns looting Gnoll Fangs, and they'd rather have extremely obtuse reasons for avoiding groups so they can fight a pre-established camp over spawns, killing mobs very seldom and get the same amount of fangs but without having to share fangs per-kill. Blows my mind.

I will always be willing to split a camp. I will always be willing to invite people despite the divide in experience and loot. I will always be willing to accommodate people's situations for in a group. What boils my blood is, when this is all said and done, people still outright refuse and would rather cause problems for everyone for their own selfish interest. My two cents on camp etiquette? If you're going into an area traditionally populated by a majority of groups, but don't want to group, you don't belong there. If you go to Crushbone or Blackburrow or wherever, you better be interested in grouping; there's too many people to be too selfish. Obviously I don't expect people share the same mindset, but it still irks me how many people refuse to participate in the MULTIPLAYER aspect of an MMO.
Last edited by Nachtsuchen; 11-10-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Fire Giant

couple entitled folks got mad at me for single camping the lone static brigand at the top of the hill near the WK bandit camp. they felt entitled to that mob because it gave them a lot of experience and that i'm KSing the mob. some nerd guild leader i shall not name starting calling me a jerk because he didn't agree that i'm allowed to camp a single mob in an outdoor zone.

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 11-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

incite them to do something wrong
/clear your chat
start talking politely to them
record them breaking the rules
petition them on the forums with the video
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
incite them to do something wrong
/clear your chat
start talking politely to them
record them breaking the rules
petition them on the forums with the video
Entrapment needs to be added to the PnP.....
Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuktus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Entrapment needs to be added to the PnP.....
The logs would tell the real story. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtsuchen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had a very interesting repeated encounter here on Green in Blackburrow tonight. My group and I formed on the Bridge and made the general area a camp, as it was just us in that area (surprising I know, but it was in the dead of night). For two hours, more and more folks came and we invited them to the group until we had room for two more. We camped the area uncontested, as it was just us, but then:

The first individual who didn't want to join our group said they were "Semi-AFK" as their reason for declining. They then started pulling mobs as they spawned at the fringe area of our camping area. I told them they were welcome to join the group and remain "Semi-AFK" so that we'd at least share experience and not have to wrestle over each other for pulls. He declined and left the area after he pulled a few more.

The second individual came and, just as we were pulling a mob, rushed in and started attacking it. When we finished killing it, they gave a "..." response and acted angry and upset; I informed them they were in the middle of our camp and that was a mob in our camp we were killing. They got extremely exclamatory, claiming we "can't just make a camp wherever we feel like" and told them the area was a valid enough camp and was prior uncontested for hours before, and even fine by other people in other camps in the zone (and those soloing mobs in between camping areas). They still angrily rebuked and, when I offered them an invite, they said they didn't want to join the group because they're...at work..? I told them they're still welcome to join the group and be "Semi-AFK" to do what they'd like, for the same reasons as before, but they went into a circular argument about camp lines and cited to me that I should read the rules. They ran off somewhere and weren't seen again afterwards.

The third was someone who "had lunch in 15" and, when I told them they'd be fine to join and leave when they wanted and be as active as they felt, they turned it down and quietly kept pulling mobs from our questing area. They left before 15 minutes.

What the hell is up with people? Literally bending over backwards, offering people a spot in a group to share experience and take turns looting Gnoll Fangs, and they'd rather have extremely obtuse reasons for avoiding groups so they can fight a pre-established camp over spawns, killing mobs very seldom and get the same amount of fangs but without having to share fangs per-kill. Blows my mind.

I will always be willing to split a camp. I will always be willing to invite people despite the divide in experience and loot. I will always be willing to accommodate people's situations for in a group. What boils my blood is, when this is all said and done, people still outright refuse and would rather cause problems for everyone for their own selfish interest. My two cents on camp etiquette? If you're going into an area traditionally populated by a majority of groups, but don't want to group, you don't belong there. If you go to Crushbone or Blackburrow or wherever, you better be interested in grouping; there's too many people to be too selfish. Obviously I don't expect people share the same mindset, but it still irks me how many people refuse to participate in the MULTIPLAYER aspect of an MMO.
You should have asked to talk to their manager.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The logs would tell the real story. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So... Double entrapment?
Closed Thread