Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 02-04-2024, 12:35 PM
Aviak

Default 30-40 Solo Interesting Hunting Spots

Hello all! I've been doing some dungeon soloing as a Ranger with only mild twinking (Ikky BP, good weapon). I've gotten up to 30 now and looking for a new spot. Thus far I've done

9-17 Crushbone, various spots you can pick up orcs, with CB belts it stays good xp even off greens

18-24 I did Unrest back patio, you can pick off some solo spawns pretty easily if you know your way around

I also got a few levels in Highpass, plucking off Orcs and Gnolls in various knooks. With all the citizens around you can generally make it easy to get singles by snaring one and pulling the adds into the citizens.

25-30 I did in Najena off the skeletons near Najena, I should probably go back and do 2-3 more levels here as they weren't green yet.

I find this playstyle of finding unique little spots more interesting than pulling to wall in outdoor zones.

I'm looking for some new options. I recently tried Cazic Thule and the ZEM is great. I could probably keep doing this but I haven't quite unlocked the perfect spot yet. A lot of the mobs are extra spicy due to healing themselves. The gator alley is real full and almost certain death if you overpull (no Gate). There might be other corners people know of.

Other options I've seen talked of are Sol A and Guk but no specifics generally given. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some interesting places to grab some pulls here, although I'd lack Harmony since they are indoors. If you know this zone works for a melee solo, I'd love to learn where exactly in the zone works best.

I might try Unrest basement next. I'm familiar with the zone and it's outdoors so likely decently viable. I've also noticed in the course of doing this that undead tend to be good targets as they rarely have casting abilities and often their zones don't have as many pathers.

I'll admit to being pretty ignorant of Kunark and Velious. I've done genoids in the past but I think that's a bit higher level, early 40's?

I appreciate any ideas others might have.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Both of the suggestions below would be like Najena. They are not outdoor dungeons like CT or Unrest.

From level 30-40 I did Crystal Caverns on my Monk. You can do the Orcs in your low 30s, and then graduate to spiders/geos. Since you need to use Root instead of Harmony to split mobs you might have some problems though, especially with the Orc Shamans. My Monk was also more twinked than your Ranger.

Tower of Frozen Shadow is great for leveling from your 30s all the way to 50. You should be able to do floor 1 at level 30. It's probably better to start there in your upper 30s though. I started on floor 3 at level 40 on my Monk. Floor 2 has spell casters, so you'd need to test out how often they end up landing spells on you if you wanted to level there a bit earlier in your 30s. You would probably need some resistance gear. You can do Floor 3 for a while in your 40s. Then go up to Floor 6 in your upper 40s. Floor 4 and 5 aren't great for leveling.

Tower of Frozen Shadow is difficult to get your corpse in. The keys to each floor do not appear in your inventory when you die like the Sebilis Key. You will need somebody with keys to help you get your corpse, or get a Necromancer to summon your corpse to the entrance.

If you do choose Tower of Frozen Shadow, I recommend having a https://wiki.project1999.com/Leather...aider_Skullcap so you can immediately escape in an emergency. You could probably do the Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap quest yourself since you should have good faction with halflings as a ranger. https://wiki.project1999.com/Vial_of_Swirling_Smoke works too, but Leatherfoot Raider Skullcap will save you more money over time, as the recharge cost is cheaper than buying a new Vial of Swirling Smoke.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-04-2024 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-05-2024, 01:23 PM
Kobold

Are you truly committed to doing dungeons? Ranger absolutely shines outside and there are only a few zones that fall under that banner. Unrest, Mistmoore, CoM, KC...

If you want to rip through 30-40 as a Ranger, go to Icecald ocean. Start at the northern island and kill snow cougars. There are fewer spawns on this island and you can learn the ways. When you are ready for more, move to the middle island. Snare, fear, kill. You'll get like a level every hour if not quicker.

However, if you want to do dungeons, you can invis pretty far in to a few places and get some nice spots. Invis can carry you to safer 2-3 mob spots in Mistmoore. City of Mist will be alright with your setup. Slowing the mobs withh a swarmcaller would be ideal if you could get one. Although not a dungeon, Stoneburnt Mountains is out of the way and neat to explore.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Gators in Cazic Thule or Maze. It's considered an outdoor zone.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

+1 for wanting to find unique little spots to carve out some leveling.

I remember doing this early on with some 3 spawn undead in Swamp of No Hope and some spots in FV. It's great find somewhere off the beaten path that you know folks wont be competing for. Later found some great areas in the Hole.

I was a monk without any regen or epic, just SCHW for haste.

Dont remember anything for your level range off the top of my head, but keep looking! Norrath is filled with undiscovered possibilities if you jump off the min/max beaten trail
Old 02-05-2024, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

30-40.

Guk top by guk bottom live side zoneline. Exp is so good til 37-38 and then hop over to dead side zone line.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+1 for wanting to find unique little spots to carve out some leveling.

I remember doing this early on with some 3 spawn undead in Swamp of No Hope and some spots in FV. It's great find somewhere off the beaten path that you know folks wont be competing for. Later found some great areas in the Hole.

I was a monk without any regen or epic, just SCHW for haste.

Dont remember anything for your level range off the top of my head, but keep looking! Norrath is filled with undiscovered possibilities if you jump off the min/max beaten trail
Can't remember what level it is, but the tunnel in Firiona Vie on the east side ("A" on the map) leads to a cool little ruins area with a bunch of Drolvargs and stuff. I don't think most people these days even know it's there. There might be some mid 30s drolvargs spawning occasionally, but I feel like it might be good for this level range if you're looking for somewhere off the beaten path with a bind/vendor/bank spot nearby (of course, FV in general is decent for this level range but I preferred this area of FV rather than the cliffs...less needing to do a long pull and hope that you don't pick up adds on the way with all the mobs that wander around).

Are Drolvargs animals? Not sure if Ranger animal fear would work on them or not.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

I've done a few rangers this way over the years.

Hear me out-- Mistmoore, yea I know, it used to be part of the xp highway, but crawling around the canyon and castle with harmony is peak ranger gameplay and it's a super cool and fun place to solo. At 30 with your gear, start in or near the graveyard pulling toward CE, with your gear 35+ you can fiddle around at CE and pull toward the balcony. There is a safe spot at castle entrance bridge near the tree, if you haven't done CE before.

SolA is a favorite of mine, though less appealing for a ranger than an SK or monk.

Stonebrunt has some stuff in your level range; explore and avail yourself of track.

In West Karana, these is a camp full of evil nasty ogres, many of whom should still be blue con and harmony-able away from their clan.

Lake of Ill Omen sarnak ledge-- I have always adored this spot, I find sarnaks to be such interesting enemies. If you can't handle the ledge, you can do the back door. Stay long enough and you'll find yourself a Bracer of the Hidden, or perhaps an antiquated Sarnak Earring of Station. Should be able to find blue cons til 32 or 33.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't remember what level it is, but the tunnel in Firiona Vie on the east side ("A" on the map) leads to a cool little ruins area with a bunch of Drolvargs and stuff. I don't think most people these days even know it's there. There might be some mid 30s drolvargs spawning occasionally, but I feel like it might be good for this level range if you're looking for somewhere off the beaten path with a bind/vendor/bank spot nearby (of course, FV in general is decent for this level range but I preferred this area of FV rather than the cliffs...less needing to do a long pull and hope that you don't pick up adds on the way with all the mobs that wander around).

Are Drolvargs animals? Not sure if Ranger animal fear would work on them or not.
I don't think they are,and if you tried that on green at least you would be frustrated by the stinking bards collecting every one of them. Super popular swarm spot
Old 02-07-2024, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think they are,and if you tried that on green at least you would be frustrated by the stinking bards collecting every one of them. Super popular swarm spot
Yeah as far as I know none of the half-animal half-human mobs like Gnolls, Driders, Drovlargs, Molkors, etc., are considered to be animals.

Not a lot of mobs in the game are considered animals, probably to prevent Druids from being another Enchanter.