Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Kobold

A "good" question with a easy answer; the game starts at level 1, and a different game starts at level 60. What's your point? hehe.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM
Aviak

For a monk the game doesn't start until you get fd, then starts again when you get your epic.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragged [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A good question to ask one self is weather the game starts at lvl 60 or ends at lvl 60.
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, did it really make a sound?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I cannot stand playing an Iksar. I really dislike it having to stare at something I dislike would be too much.

Well I read that the raiding scene is very competitive. I already did all these things a long time ago with my wizard and the crazy 36 hours stretches. I don't want to do that again and in fact if I did I would have just rolled a cleric. This time round just enjoying the journey to 60. I doubt I will be eligible considering how I'm playing. I have raidied in Everquest 1 and 2,FFXI, WoW and FFXIV , I am not looking to do that.

There is such a thing as just playing for kicks lol pun there but anyway I'm not concerned about min/maxxing or raiding so just taking it easy and playing what I want rather than what I should.

Good to know about the silks, then eases my mind a lot. When I played before I never played anything else except the wizard so I am pretty clueless about the other classes. I also was very lucky to have joined a very good guild so I never needed to worry much about grouping or raids it was so easy and came naturally. It was probably because it was so early in the game's history. Things have changed a lot over the years and I have changed a lot too.
Last edited by jacal; 10-12-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Bah. Don't listen to the peoiple who say you can't solo. Not true. Hell I was able to solo some on my warrior, and they're the worst soloers I can think of. A shadowknight? A monk? Hell yes you can solo those if you really want to. It'll be slower than grouping and you'll do a lot of bind wounds and have to have the knowledge for good places, but it's doable absolutely.

People are generally like water, except sometimes when they're not. Like water, we USUALLY seek the path of least resistance. That's what you get in this thread. Some people will--however--find other paths. Be yourself.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 10-30-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bah. Don't listen to the peoiple who say you can't solo. Not true. Hell I was able to solo some on my warrior, and they're the worst soloers I can think of. A shadowknight? A monk? Hell yes you can solo those if you really want to. It'll be slower than grouping and you'll do a lot of bind wounds and have to have the knowledge for good places, but it's doable absolutely.

People are generally like water, except sometimes when they're not. Like water, we USUALLY seek the path of least resistance. That's what you get in this thread. Some people will--however--find other paths. Be yourself.

This guy gets it.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

Feels to me like what you really want to play is a rogue. Sure people might sigh when they find our you're not twinked. Sure you'll always be "filler" in every group. However rogues are the most popular and sought after filler usually!

It's rare for a rogue to be asked to tank or pull, and many rogues are so lazy and rude they refuse to do it even when it's objectively correct thing to do.

If you want to melee, but never want to be asked to pull or tank you have to be a rogue. A monk who is the only monk in a group and is indoors will ALWAYS be begged to pull, even if they say they don't want to. The same is true of a paladin or shadowknight being asked to tank in a group without any other knights/warrior. The same is also true of a ranger, but only if they're outdoors, where they are better pullers than monks.

Now of course you could always play your ranger inside, but then you wouldn't really be taking advantage of the one thing rangers are good at.

That said it is IMO much easier to learn to tank in experience groups than it is to learn to pull. Learning to pull means not only learning how to use FD, but also memorizing the wikipedia map (and in even more detail than the map provides) for the area you're "camped" in. Whereas tanking is at first all about hitting disease cloud/taunt once per mob, and then later also about using things like clinging darkness to reduce the speed of a mob that's running away, and also avoiding casting either of those spells on mesmerized npcs at the wrong time.

Although if you want to play p99 like it's 1999 and you want to be a wizard who barely pays attention in his groups until you're level 60, then you have to be a mage on p99 because people don't take that shit from wizards anymore. So I'd recommend you either open yourself up to learning, OR play a mage/rogue. I think the most fun option though will be to open yourself up to learning. People don't expect level 9-19 pullers or tanks to actually be that competent! Leveling up will takes weeks/months and give you time to improve as much as is needed to not get "scolded".
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Fire Giant

In terms of lazy leveling in groups I've seen mage/rogue/clerics sit in group for 10+ hours with no sweat barely moving while watching movies or whatever else these monsters do.

From levels 1-50 (depending on where you are) group make up doesn't matter too much. I've seen clerics pull, rogues tank, and everything in between. In terms of leveling 1-55 on this server it's not that hard these days, people are so twinked and things have been farmed so hard that any group can faceroll XP content. I've been in KC groups at level 50 when rogue, monk, shaman, and cleric all had epics and there's multiple fungi's and cloaks of flames in group. It's pretty ridiculous.

Now for the end game content 52-60 (or moreso 55-60) at that point you have the opportunity to join a guild and group with friends so you're not necessarily going to be inspected every second and denied groups if you're not fully twinked. You also can have a really geared character through raiding and guild gearing up at level 51+ or wait until 60 to do so.

With a rogue you can put in very minimal effort to be 90% effective in terms of DPS, on a monk you put in minimal effort and the group losses a lot of XP, you risk wipes, you miss opportunities to kill PHs instead of random roamers/other mobs, and you're generally not all that popular.

Also having multiple characters is cool. Worst is settling in for a long night of gaming and realizing the camp you want is camped or no one is LFG at the moment. Pop onto another char instead of wasting the night!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I did not enjoy the monk as much as I would have liked so dropped it. I kept worrying about the weight and it dampened my looting spree a lot so in the end I decided it wasn't for me. The Shadow Knight is a really fun class. I am really loving it and I am a dark elf and it is so much fun as I never actually played a dark elf before because years ago when I tried I got horribly lost in the city.

I know people say you will do better with practice and be able to get good if you try but I get lost in real life also it is something I seem to be really bad at; navigation. At least now I don't get as upset or angry when I played in 1999 I used to be terrified of getting lost I would draw maps and printed out tonnes of maps so that I could look at them and I would still get hopeless lost. This is the reason why I cannot be a puller in any dungeon I would make a wrong turn even if I have been there ten times. That is my limitation and one I cannot get over no matter how many times I have been in a dungeon I just get turned around and then I panic and I get even more lost. When I am alone and people are not depending on me it is fine which is why I used to play a class that was more passive. I think I played my wizard well ,I hope so and I did my best and I always got people out of dungeons without losing anyone ever.

Still I am playing a melee class with no gate and enjoying it a lot. Got to 15 on both a Shadow Knight and a Paladin. I also advanced my Shaman to that level. I like the idea that I can rotate between these classes and enjoy completely different play styles. It's not important to me the speed at which I level or the fact that by dividing my resources I am slowing down every class because I am really enjoying it. I solo a lot because my play time is very short and erratic . I am unable to commit to any group for long and I can be afk suddenly so I am a liability.

The Paladin is surprisingly enjoyable. I know it is a horrible soloer but I got some very nice equipment from kind players who gave them to me. So I guess that could be why I am able to solo even cons well and make progress. I love the melee with buffs and the ability to heal. I spend less time on my butt surprisingly than I thought I would.

I am thinking of rolling a ranger next http://www.funny-emoticons.com/files/smileys-emoticons/funny-emoticons/102-call-me-wink.png
Last edited by jacal; 11-01-2017 at 06:45 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Sarnak

(inb4 HERETIC)

Weight isnt really that bad on monks until 50+ as mobs hit like trucks. I (about 90%) solo'd my monk to 51 and I think after lvl 20 or so Ive been at like 35-50 weight the whol time. Tried a bit where I banked everything except 1 backpack of band aids and didnt notice much difference in my mid-40's. Maybe one mob might have dmged me like 2-5% more with weight? or something.

edit* Monk is semi twinked; no fungi, but has jade mace / sos