Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Guild Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rob242 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I started an IKS MNK with the intention of full RP (Lizardman speech mostly, broken common tongue when necessary), questing for items, crafting my own clothing, weapons, etc when I can. I got to level 6 with shackle of dust and clay, curscale armor pieces and a pair of rhino boots I was able to buy (not the super expensive ones, the ones that go for 2gp). I have been skilling up brewing, tailoring, and blacksmithing from the get. Using what ever extra points I have after learning my combat skills. Now that I've read Kaffee's blacksmithing guide on your site, I feel I'm going about this wrong.
My intention is not to make tons of money but for my monk to live in the world as it would be. Not twinking, not just using my main to buy everything. It's tempting but this is a whole other kind of fun play style. Opinions on methods for trade skilling? Should I focus on one at a time or each one little-by-little as I go?
Well, I suppose if you're going full RP, you should first ask yourself this: What would the monk do? Is your monk focused or scatterbrained? Easily bored or willing to do boring things for long stretches?

That said, it's very typical for tradeskillers to spend periods of time simply gathering materials and then doing a single long combining session for 1 skill at a time. It's also typical for high level toons to get gear/buffs first to help you (+Wis/+int stuff, or +str for smithing), but that's not something an RP iksar monk would do. You can do random combines sporadically as you get materials, also. No rules against it! But with super low wis/int like what iksar typically start out with, you'll find skill ups few and far between.

My hypothesis is that tradeskills are meant to be leveled along with your character, either in small spurts or bit by bit as you go. As an iksar tailor, you'd be making silk items from all the spiders in FoB, while someone in EC might be making stuff out of animal pelts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Or you may only be able to afford brief sessions of smithing as you earn money from hunting out in the big wide world. But do as you feel is right for your character! There are no rules against it if it's possible in-game.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 01-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Kobold

Well, I guess I am going the route of leveling up and gathering mats for future training sessions in the various trades. That is the way it works IRL, right? One does not become a master baker, smith,butcher, (modern examples)interior decorator, Network Security Admin, etc. without years of training and developing. I just hope it doesn't take literal years for Zylys! LOL! If it does, it will be fun leveling among the way.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

bump for cool guild !
Closed Thread