Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-09-2022, 07:18 AM
Large Rat

Lightbulb HP Update Polling, Consciousness, and Healing

Hey all;
Not sure if this is where to post this, but I know we run a modified source code of the base EQEmu.
So in the past week or two I've encountered at least twice, on my own and thrice by other players, the bug of losing consciousness, then, due to a series of odd events, reviving at full health.
Positive this was a bug, I've been running PCAPs while playing. I'm going to hope that I encounter it again soon, and I've got a hunch on how to recreate it, and also what's causing it.

I think it has to do with conflicts between timing of updates from various effects (like regen/bard hymn of restoration/DOT), and natural HP regen ticks, and the percentage methodolgy used for those updates.

It looks like whatever state-machine devs used for unconsciousness, combined with health tracking on the client side (negative health, as it were), causes some strange reaction when fed the transition signal from unconsciousness to consciousness.

I'm looking into a fix in the source code on EQEmu, but I wanted to ask, is there a better place for P99 specifically? I'm doing some de-compilation nonsense to get a little visibility on the how states are handled client-side, which I won't share here for copyright purposes (though I'm sure anyone here doing dev work can do the same thing or better than I'll be able to do); but I wanted to make sure any fix I'm trying to build will ultimately actually improve that feature in P99 (I will also try to fix the upstream, though I haven't found any reports of the problem upstream).

Let me know; I've got a fairly light dev cycle in my day-job for the next couple weeks, and am happy to throw cycles at this if it makes the game better.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

p99 forked from eqemu source a decade ago. it could be argued (undeniable in my opinion) that modern eqemu is far closer to classic in mechanics than p99 is today, largely because eqemu is still an active community project, whereas p99 is sort of stuck in stasis for various reasons.

that said, i have seen this once. it's rare to go unconscious at 60, but on red during pvp once i went unconscious and revived at full health.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:42 PM
Large Rat

Yeah; I've been able to reproduce now once; I am looking through the decompiled code (which is obviously a mess since its missing debug symbols) ~>

Looks like though the statemachine is the issue; though if EQEMu server's behavior isn't the mapping, then it may be a different issue serverside causing it.