Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

Default GINA - fails to launch

I know this is tangential as it deals with GINA, but had to reset computer after it locked up hard and after doing so now when I try to launch GINA the progress icon spins and then nothing happens after a few seconds. Additionally, if I try to reinstall I get a message, "An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator."

Welcome any pointers on how I can debug what the issues are.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

Install and run as administrator?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

I should have clarified in my original post. When I try to run the installer running as admin I get the message about not allowing it to be installed.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Aviak

1) Check your GINAConfig.xml file which should be found in "C:\Users\<your_username>\Appdata\Local\GimaSoft\G INA" and make sure the contents don't look corrupt. If they do, see if the backup is ok. Copy the non-corrupt file to the desktop or somewhere convenient.
2) Delete the GINAConfig.lkg in your "C:\Users\<your_username>\Appdata\Local\GimaSoft\G INA" folder
3) Reinstall GINA (may have issue with virus checking based on what your saying)
4) Copy your saved away GINAConfig.xml back over the one in your installation folder.

This same thing has happened to me enough times that I have a saved document to fix it with an obscene name.

The installation issue may be anti-virus protection "saving you". Disable it if you feel comfortable.

Good luck
Last edited by Zutizutzut; 02-12-2021 at 05:32 PM..
Old 02-15-2021, 07:28 PM
Large Bat

Right click the icon and select 'Properties'. Check the 'unblock' button at the bottom of this window. Relaunch the app. You may need to find the Gina.exe file deep in your User\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Apps folder and unblock that also.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutizutzut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) Check your GINAConfig.xml file which should be found in "C:\Users\<your_username>\Appdata\Local\GimaSoft\G INA" and make sure the contents don't look corrupt. If they do, see if the backup is ok. Copy the non-corrupt file to the desktop or somewhere convenient.
2) Delete the GINAConfig.lkg in your "C:\Users\<your_username>\Appdata\Local\GimaSoft\G INA" folder
3) Reinstall GINA (may have issue with virus checking based on what your saying)
4) Copy your saved away GINAConfig.xml back over the one in your installation folder.

This same thing has happened to me enough times that I have a saved document to fix it with an obscene name.

The installation issue may be anti-virus protection "saving you". Disable it if you feel comfortable.

Good luck
I'm having the same problem as the OP. When I followed these steps, I did not see a "backup .xml file" in that folder. What is it called? What I have is GINAConfig.xml and GINAConfig.lkg. GINAConfig.xml looks default, IE I don't see any of my custom triggers. The other file, GINAConf.lkg does have *some* of my triggers but not all. Any idea what could be wrong? I have a feeling I lost hours of custom work...ugh.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue..and cant figure it out.. ive had to re-install gina to fix..and it eventually happens again.
Old 10-19-2023, 01:45 AM
Aviak

Gina does not like more than sixteen processors.
So be sure to start Gina.exe via the command line with the start command and specify the number of processors.
c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 16 <path>/GINA.exe

the path is obviously where gina exist on your computer. Once you get it loaded, go to performance tab and limit it to 16 cores and your problems are solved.