Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 12-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Aviak

Default Monk Wrists question

Hey fellow monks got a question for you

I've been lusting over a SWC for sometime now. I have my ring (won angry) and have someone with a sinew ready to MQ with me...or I can go hunt my own Sinew whatever wont take long.

Now I am just at the point where I have to save up for an urn. There is no way I can hunt the urn myself.

Here is where my question comes in. I have a Fungi that I was considering selling to help fund it, I also have a wrist guard of thunder that I can sell to help fund it. But that leaves me with an empty wrist slot.

My other wrist is the PoSky wrist right now (back straps of mastery)

I want the SWC to go into the shoulder slot cause lets be honest that is a pretty thin slot for monks.

But if I sell the Wrist Guard of Thunder then I am now missing a wrist slot. Is it worth putting the SWC in the wrist slot until I get, like a Bracer of Benevolence (ugh I really don't want to deal with the RNG jesus but I will)

Or do I go for the Ton Po's sky shoulder slot to keep the SWC there?

Is it worth just keeping the wrist guard and slowing saving up for a drusilla urn?

Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2021, 11:22 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly SWC isn't that great of an item. Its just overhyped due to it being a non-raid AoB and 100 HP item. I wouldn't sell anything and just save up the money, it won't make your life any better than what you currently have.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

To elaborate a bit:

1. If you sell your Fungi, you will have more downtime with SWC than Fungi when soloing. In groups, Fungi is still superior for when you need to recover after a failed pull. You are losing 13 HP/Tick to gain 100ish HP, which isn't a great trade-off when you realize you won't be at full HP most of the time anyway, so the max HP isn't doing much for you. Max HP is best utilized in high risk scenarios, where your whole HP bar can be dropped quickly, and you need a bit extra to hopefully survive. Unless your playstyle mostly deals in those scenarios, the Fungi is better.

2. Stat-wise the Wrist Guard of Thunder isn't that far off from an SWC, minus the AoB. Your Wrist Guard of Thunder gives 10 STR, so ATK wise you aren't that far off, unless you are STR capped with buffs. Your Fungi is giving you more regen, so when you combine Fungi + Wrist Guard of Thunder you end up in a better spot. The only thing you are missing is the 60ish HP from SWC, after you subtract the 50HP from Wrist Guard of Thunder.

In conclusion, there is no real need to strip your character to get SWC, as you lose power overall. It will obviously be a good addition to your gear set whenever you save up enough plat, but it isn't a game changer. If you were talking about selling your Fungi for something like Torpor, that would be different, as Torpor changes your character way more than Fungi. Obviously you are a Monk, so Torpor doesn't apply, but I hope you get my point in terms of properly gauging what kind of item is worth stripping your character for, and what kind of item isn't. SWC falls into the latter category.

EDIT: The only scenario where selling off large chunks of your character may make sense is if you are the kind of player who can make hundreds of thousands of plat in a relatively short period of time. In that scenario jumping on buying an urn when one is available may be beneficial, as supply tends to be quite limited. This opportunistic purchase may save you time in the long run, and you can just make the money back. But in this scenario, selling your Wrist Guard of Thunder would be counter-intuitive, as it is rarer than urn, so you may end up wasting more time trying to buy it back later. If you could make money hand over fist, however, I imagine you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-24-2021 at 01:16 AM..
Old 12-24-2021, 01:00 AM
Banned

Depends what you have to replace the fungi with, I sold mine for that exact reason and just used my pog chest and barely noticed that the fungi was gone.

I say get the cords for your shoulder and go to scout rolls for wrists.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends what you have to replace the fungi with, I sold mine for that exact reason and just used my pog chest and barely noticed that the fungi was gone.

I say get the cords for your shoulder and go to scout rolls for wrists.
Oh don't get me wrong, there are better chest pieces than Fungi, especially once you hit 60. But selling a Wrist Guard of Thunder and a Fungi for a SWC specifically is a bad trade off stat-wise. He doesn't have a replacement for the wrist, so he would just be losing 13 HP Regen to gain a bit of max HP. Even if OP just got an amazing chest, Fungi on swap would still be better than losing Fungi + Wrist Guard of Thunder for SWC.

I can understand the item lust is driving you to make rash decisions, but resist it. SWC really is overhyped[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-24-2021 at 01:18 AM..
Old 12-24-2021, 08:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly SWC isn't that great of an item. Its just overhyped due to it being a non-raid AoB and 100 HP item. I wouldn't sell anything and just save up the money, it won't make your life any better than what you currently have.
its the only 100 hp arm slot. In terms of monk wrists there is SBOS, Silver charm, and the dragonskin bracelet so they have more options than most.
Ielwenu - 56 magician
Deeloofie - 49 monk
Old 12-24-2021, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddraal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its the only 100 hp arm slot. In terms of monk wrists there is SBOS, Silver charm, and the dragonskin bracelet so they have more options than most.
Yes, and 100HP items aren't great by themselves[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That is why it is overrated, you spend something like 200k for it, and for most players 200k would go farther elsewhere.

If OP is a hardcore raider with many 100 HP items, it would make more sense to try and get 100 HP items in all slots for the high HP bragging rights and benifits. Otherwise, you are spending 200k for no reason, and getting basically nothing for it. You can't even trade it across toons.

An individual 100HP item doesn't take you far because you could most likely spend the 200k to upgrade multiple slots, which would give you more than 100 HP and other stats/benefits.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Get 1 bob, keep wrist, get str of elements, farm plat to get cords for arms.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Banned

BoB is arguably better than KT wrist, more MR, almost as much ac, nice stam, almost as much raw hps. It's only worse if you are max stam which I'm assuming isn't the case. Either way I wouldn't do anything until you have 1 or 2 BoB's. That's the best place to start imo. If you have a great chest like a leather bp from HoT or growth I would say you're good to ditch the fungi. Though if you're human you might not want to. Speaking as an iksar that sold my fungi a long time ago I virtually never miss it.

SS leather arms and cords in shoulder is a great setup until you can get a shoulder item like strength of the elements, shawl of protection, or pauldrons of the deep flame. Once you figure out what your wrist situation looks like when/if you sell the KT wrist then I would start thinking about the Urn. If at that point you can find a MQ under 200k I would go for it. Or maybe just find a couple friends and neckbeard out and camp your own urns.

You have many options to get to the end result you're looking for.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:30 AM
Aviak

Ok well all great answers thank you!

I have a SS leather BP that I just need to turn in (I'm being lazy I hate that damned run)

Part of the problem is, I'm a casual raider. I'm not in one of the big 3 (on blue). I'm a proud member of Lighthouse. So some of those higher end items that y'all are referring too, simply out of reach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Honestly my monk spends MOST of his time raiding. I don't have many friends who have the same playtime as I do that can group up and go farm fun stuff. So the monk gets ignored usually and I go level another toon.

Until I won the angry roll, now I'm sitting at felwithe guards all day trying to grind out PP haha

Sounds like losing the KT bracer is more hassle then gain. Someone said the 200k can be better used for other slots. That's also not a bad thought. Buying an ST key and buying LRs to some of the priceless gear on there is probably a better use of my time and money.

Thanks guys for the info!! If you have more to share please by all means I appreciate the help!!