Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Because I like classic EQ, don't care about raiding or other stuff. I play a small bit just to level an alt or something. If I do load up a game these days it will probably be Kenshi.

I like Windows games when they were still interesting but I am not a gamer.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of us genuinely love the game itself, and even playing it in all its boring grindy form. I know this is a foreign concept to younger gamers, WoW gamers, and many raiders who are more into strats, practice, racing, BiS and hanging out on discord than actually doing the boring parts of playing EQ, but its actually true for many of us.

There's a lot of people who just relish leveling different classes, races, combinations of both, etc. All the stuff you mention is secondary to actually enjoying Everquest. At the end of the day it sounds like you realized you didn't actually like playing Everquest that much after the novelty wore off and you had your epic level 60. Now you are here trying to figure out why anyone does this but you're looking at it the wrong way because you don't have that concept of actually liking this old game, warts and all, for what it is.
That's a good point. I have a group of friends I played with in high school start playing on p99 back when I was in the raid scene and the kind of stuff they would do in game would blow my mind (wait for the boat vs. port, level in some weird off the wall zones, make really dumb gear and build choices etc). It was kind of like watching that Michael's Shennanigans YouTuber who would just do goofy stuff instead of raid.

I know I enjoyed playing the game for a long time and have never loved another class like I did my bard, but once I saw behind the curtain on how the mechanics of the game work, doing that random stuff just wasn't as appealing to me.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I enjoy suffering. All the best things in life come with some blood, sweat and tears. Effort leads to reward. Of course, my brain is broken and forgot about the reward part of the equation.
I think that was my biggest argument for why gear in p99 felt so much more rewarding and I could probably tell you more gear pieces on my bard than on some of my WoW toons.

But when I think about how p99 raid mobs are and the mechanics of it, it just doesn't make sense. Take Vulak for example, spawns once a week so 52 opportunities a year. Lets say your top in guild gets 40 of those 52 Vulaks. Of those 40, you're able to attend 15-20. Of that 15-20, the item you want to drop maybe drops 5 times.

I just can't commit to that level of raiding for a chance I'll get a piece of loot. Not to mention that content isn't really fun to me anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2021, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

For me it’s just the game itself. I think the mechanics are unique, almost one of a kind. The raiding isn’t my favorite part of the game it’s the journey to 60 and the folks you meet along the way. I don’t think I’ll ever stop playing Everquest. I tend to take long breaks in between, don’t get me wrong. Especially when I find new games that interest me like red dead redemption 2, but I always come back after my hiatus. Hopefully p99 lasts until I’m dead because I feel like I’ll always be back eventually.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-26-2021, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Plus, how can you deny that groovy classic Everquest soundtrack. That alone is a reason to log in.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plus, how can you deny that groovy classic Everquest soundtrack. That alone is a reason to log in.
Haha Skarne you and I think a lot alike! I LOVED the midi music and would listen to a play list of it at work sometimes haha.

The game definitely has some staying power, it's been 10+ years of p99 and 20+ of EQ. Crazy to think about right?
Old 05-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Banned

I just love Everquest, man
Old 05-26-2021, 02:02 PM
Kobold

Well thank you for those who have participated in this discussion/rant of mine. I leave you with two screen shots.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First is my favorite screen shot of my bard I've ever taken. Ironically on a wipe on a ring war but it was beautiful haha. I accomplished much with this bard and helped my guild become a competitor in the raid scene and made plenty of good friends and memories along the way.

Second is my first time seeing Ragnaros. I never played WoW back in the day so classic WoW felt like the expansion to classic everquest we should have got. We started this guild with some others from p99 and have added to it since launch.

With TBC launching I don't think I'll be back here much anymore. If anyone wants to come say hi, I'll be in <Corpse Run> on Herod slinging chain heals on my shaman. Be well everyone!

Yes you can have my p99 stuff, PM me if you really want it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littul Jonn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Second is my first time seeing Ragnaros.
You must be a real noob at WoW. Ragnaros has been a raid boss in WoW at least 6 times. Felt like the Ragnaros fight in Firelands was shockingly easy for an end-game boss.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Kobold

Drugs