Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Large Rat

Smile Hello to all!

Hello to all! Whether on Blue, Green or Red! My name is Hamlington and I come to you as a complete nobody and newcomer to EQ!

I decided, before embarking on this new journey, to drop an introduction and perhaps tell you a bit about myself and what I'm looking forward on my adventure.

(Warning: Long read ahead! You can skip to the tl;dr below!)

As said, I'm Hamlington and I'm new to EQ. As a matter of fact, Project 99 might be my first true experience of the game. I did try it before some few years prior, having downloaded both EQ1/2 (the retail versions), but it never really caught my attention as much back then and the games were a far cry from the stories I've read about the OG game.

That was until recently when I found out about P99. Now given I did find out about it back during the craze around the release of the progressive Green server two years ago(?) and It did pique my interest for the game, especially when I found out it was a true-to-the-original emulator server. However, a variety of other issues coupled with a crippling addiction of other MMOs and games deterred me from fully joining and appreciating the game.

But, times have changed over the past two years and so have I with them. With no real access to a proper gaming machine and far away on schooling duties, stuck with a moderate office laptop and seeking an escape from the mundane study sessions, I chose to return to this server and rekindle my interest in it.

As stated, P99 intrigued me because it was old school. I have a special place for older games in my heart and though I grew up playing more modern titles (like LoL, Apex, CS:GO), my love for MMOs and especially the Fantasy genre never ceased.

When people talk about the old times of the MMOs, before the dominant era of WoW, they tend to mention factors like a tightly nit community, harsher learning curves and worlds with penalty. And I like that. To me, a game without a challenge is boring and a game with too much punishment is cruel, but the old MMOs had a way of balancing those aspects in their own little ways.

This, coupled with the idea of a tightly nit and welcoming community, propelled me to try my luck. With that said, what I want is nothing more but a journey on the side to keep me sane through the realities of life. I do not look to commit myself fully, rather wishing to be more casual, exploring the world, learning about it and if I am so lucky, finding the sweet nectar of RP along the way! And yes, I am an RP enthusiast, how could you tell?

I'll be starting my venture on the Green server as a human warrior and whilst yes, I know that the warrior is probably the worst class for a newcomer, I still wanted to play what I desired to play. I'll also probably make a post on the Green servers' forum side later down the line specifically looking for help, players or maybe even guilds to play with and show me around the game.

Lastly, I'd like to apologize for my long winded expose about how I came to play on P99. I just thought that I'd be fitting that I leave a solid impression on my first post here, is all really.

Anyway, I hope that this journey will be fun and that I'll get to learn about both the world and this community a little more!

Adios!

For those who just want the tl;dr intro:

New player to EQ. Loves RP, community and world. Likes old school MMOs like P99. Looking for a casual experience on the Green server. Will be making separate Green oriented forum post looking for help, companions or (maybe) guilds to start off at.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:42 PM
Kobold

Welcome Hamlington!
I'd go to blue if I were you, green folks seem weird for some reason while the people who stayed behind on blue remain the best!
I just came back to the game and I really enjoy it! If I were you I'd also go warrior! Work hard and at the end game you'll be the focus of the game!
Best of luck! Hope we get to meet once they merge the servers!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:37 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycohunden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome Hamlington!
I'd go to blue if I were you, green folks seem weird for some reason while the people who stayed behind on blue remain the best!
I just came back to the game and I really enjoy it! If I were you I'd also go warrior! Work hard and at the end game you'll be the focus of the game!
Best of luck! Hope we get to meet once they merge the servers!

It was a tough pick, but honestly, I wanted to play on Green ever since I've found out about P99 two years ago. The fact that it was a progressive server with the exact feel (or at least close to it) was a selling point for me! Also a lot more opportunity for low-level meet ups compared to, what I assume, are mostly veteran players on Blue.

And, lets be real here, if the two servers are meant to merge somewhere in the future, it doesn't exactly matter which server you choose, now does it?

Or at least that's what I think, but what do I know.

Either way, thanks for the welcome and I too hope that somewhere in the future we meet up.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Sarnak

Welcome Hamlington! May your journey fill you with adventure and a true sense of loss that only this game can.

Green server should be fine (I currently play on Blue and but regularly visit green and agree the culture is different but still great). Warrior is tough but doable best of luck.

Spend time immersing in and exploring your city. There so much interesting gameplay that min/maxers completely blow past. It’s a slow immersive (and often terrifying) game if you let it be.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hail Hamlington!

Can't wait to meet you in game. Welcome to the fold. Green server has overall been a great experience for me. I think you'll enjoy your time!
Old 11-17-2021, 12:23 PM
Banned

Welcome!

Green would be your best bet on starting fresh on p99.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned

Ya green is currently best place to start up fresh @op. There's plenty of leveling and the 1-50 game is pretty chilled out.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey there Hamlington!

If you’re starting fresh, I think Green would be your best experience, I’ve played on both Blue and Green and green has been overall a great experience. Can’t wait to meet ya in game when servers merge, have fun on your journey through Norrath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-18-2021, 12:26 PM
Large Rat

Well, looks like Green wins with majority of the votes! But, unfortunately, this election was rigged from the start.

It also looks like I wasn't wrong when I assumed that the community was going to be more friendly and welcoming. Then again, I suppose it's a refreshing feeling from the other more unpleasant experiences I've had with other game communities over the past decade.

I guess I'm more than thrilled to meet you folks and the rest of the server in game. IF we cross paths, that is (which I hope we do).
Old 11-18-2021, 01:16 PM
Banned

didnt read your entire post but what class will you be playing?

I might have some items you can have
Closed Thread