Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Kobold

Default DSETUP.dll and Norton

Each time I start P99, I get an error message that DSETUP.dll is missing. So I extract the latest files again and Norton flags it as a threat.

I tell Norton to restore the file, and I check the box that says ''exclude this file from future scans'' - and then I can play.

But then the next time I try to load up the game, the file has been stripped out again.

Can anyone suggest a permanent fix to stop that file being deleted in between my P99 sessions?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah get rid of norton. It's a shitty AV program. I would suggest getting avast.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 10-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Large Bat

It sounds as though the folder needs to be exempted instead of just the file. There is a way to add the entire folder that you have Project 1999 installed in to be exempted from being scanned and files in it being removed. For my version of Norton, I do the following:

1. Go to Settings
2. Go to Antivirus
3. Click on "Scans and Risk" Tab
4. Under "Exclusions/Low Risks," look for "Items to exclude from Scans" and click the blue "Configure [+]" button to the right of it
5. Click "Add Folders" at the bottom.
6. On the "Add Folders" window that popped up, make sure "Include subfolders" is checked, and click the folder icon on the right.
7. Find where Project 99 is installed, add the whole folder. Click ok twice to add the folder location to the exemption list.
8. If you see the folder location of Project 99 listed, be sure to click "apply." It should now be exempted from scans.

Bear in mind, your Norton may differ from mine, but this fixed the issue of Norton taking the file away for me. I've never had an issue since and I've done this on two Windows 10 computers. Granted, my problem was that Norton kept deleting the file every time I would paste it in the Project 1999 folder. I have never had to keep pasting it into the folder each time to play.

I hope this was helpful in some way.
Last edited by Siege_Turtle; 10-13-2017 at 01:47 AM..
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 AM
Kobold

Thanks Siege_Turtle. I have tried your suggestion so fingers crossed.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

p1999 spies on your processes, therefore you cant play p1999 with AV
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.