Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My experience with the launch of classic WoW and EQ2 is the opposite. 2/3 of the guild left with the GL to WoW and the other third split to EQ2. My guild became a ghost town overnight where I would wander the houses and moan in the middle of the night like a ghost. Right as we were killing RZtW and the other elemental bosses to get into Time... man I was Pissed.
I thought I remember being in omens of war when original wow came out. I didnt play wow but for some reason I remember talking to a guy(shout out to Brohg from Innoruuk - tho maybe we had already been merged to Nameless by then) in my guild about going to it when were killing that big dog in wall of slaughter that guarded the entrance to that maze zone that riftseekes was off of. I dont remember the name of the maze zone off of the top of my head. What a random memory, especially if it was 2 expansions after the fact, hah.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

No.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Yes
Old 09-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

maybe ?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Sarnak

Yes little bit. It’ll get old over there and people will be back.

As far as green goes I will check it out but have no desire to start at ‘0’ again. I did that in 1999. I don’t have the time to dedicate to the game like want or used too. The gear and weapons I have now were gifted to me or bought with drops from unrest. Theirs no way I could achieve that on green, I just don’t have the time. I’m sure I’m not alone in this as well.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasarious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought I remember being in omens of war when original wow came out. I didnt play wow but for some reason I remember talking to a guy(shout out to Brohg from Innoruuk - tho maybe we had already been merged to Nameless by then) in my guild about going to it when were killing that big dog in wall of slaughter that guarded the entrance to that maze zone that riftseekes was off of. I dont remember the name of the maze zone off of the top of my head. What a random memory, especially if it was 2 expansions after the fact, hah.

We were in WoS fighting that dog as well. At the same time we were trying to enter PoT. By no means was my casual raiding guild on the bleeding edge of content.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 09-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree. I remember when WoW first came out during my original EQ days. I had a few friends and several guildies leave to play it. Almost every single one came back within a month and said EQ was way better. It just seems to me that most people who really love EQ preferred it over WoW. If it was true then that I imagine it's still true now. Though I admit I never played WoW myself because I took everyone's word for it that EQ was better.

Same thing with EQ2. People would leave to play it but most I knew came back to the original before too long.
Was being the key word. I've played WoW/EQ2 at launch and years after, both were more difficult and more interesting than they eventually became and you could say the exact same thing for EQ1. The only MMOs I've ever played that were still respectable several years post-launch are FFXI and Eve. And maybe Planetside? Kind of different though, plus flying mechs were bullshit even if they were rare. EQ eventually became as much of a joke as it's ancestor and rivals. I'd rather gobble dog turds than play it once it reached GoD.

I don't think people who enjoy classic EQ and classic WoW are that different. You'd probably only find any real issue when it comes down to instances. I've seen people claim both games are "difficult", both games are "social".. yet look at what you can solo in both games. Look at how OP some classes are in both games. Neither need to be social or difficult if you know what you're doing. A few days after WoW comes out all the raids are cleared.. green will be the same. Just biased nostalgia.

I prefer EQ over WoW because it's more social, which I feel is an important aspect of an MMO, but it's certainly not a necessary aspect of the game. Especially once people have fungi tunics, which is full-on gamebreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as green goes I will check it out but have no desire to start at ‘0’ again. I did that in 1999. I don’t have the time to dedicate to the game like want or used too. The gear and weapons I have now were gifted to me or bought with drops from unrest. Theirs no way I could achieve that on green, I just don’t have the time. I’m sure I’m not alone in this as well.
You're not alone. As I recall "Remember when we actually cared about games and spent time playing them? Fuck that! Now that we're adults we don't do that anymore and everyone else should play games like we do(n't) because we don't have time!" is Brad MCQuaid's slogan for his EQ clone. I might be paraphrasing. Ok it's definitely a sarcastic exaggeration. But it's still accurate.

If you don't have time then that's that. Changing a game to be shite to suit your needs just ruins the game though. Plenty of fun games you can play without spending eons camping a single named drop. Hell I'm watching the CSGO tournament as I type this.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I prefer EQ over WoW because it's more social, which I feel is an important aspect of an MMO, but it's certainly not a necessary aspect of the game.
It's a chat room. Not necessary in the sense you can be a lurker just like on a message board.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

the chat room is the game
Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empathy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just trying to figure out if the server population has declined over the past few weeks, and if so, how severe are we talking?

Has anyone noticed a sudden dropoff with WoW coming out? Additionally, as far as I understand, green will be coming out soon - will the playerbase be able to sustain two separate servers, or are we at the beginning of the end here?
It's been going down recently, but not a lot.

Population charts here: https://www.unixgeek.com/eqemu.html